Sponsored

First road trip in the JL (quick report + pics)

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
great pics.

D90John

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon diesel
Vehicle Showcase
TLDR; I went on a 1,200mi road trip and the Jeep was nearly flawless.

Background:
This JL is my first Wrangler after having owned a long list of VWs and Audis. I was ready for a Jeep two years ago, but decided the JL would be worth the wait. Finally picked up a 2-door last July and have been looking for reasons to drive it every chance I get. That said, it largely sits during the week and begs for weekend trips.

Since July, I’ve only added 950 total miles to the odometer. Last week, I went on a 1,200mi road trip from NorCal to Central Oregon and back. Here’s my quick report.

Positives:
  • Gas mileage was way better than I anticipated; according to the onboard, I managed 23 to 25mpg with mostly 65mph highway driving.
  • Overall driving comfort was really quite good; I added the Mtn Offroad dead pedal before leaving, but the seating position and seat quality left me feeling remarkably fresh after hundreds of miles between stops.
  • Despite relatively loose steering feel, highway manners were generally great and with easy lane tracking and stability, rain or shine.
  • The 8-speed auto was just fabulous; I’ve always driven manuals before the Jeep, and I’m completely sold on the quality of this auto.
  • After having pulled out the rear seats before the trip, utility and storage was off-the-charts fantastic for such a small vehicle.

Not-so-Positives:
  • The windshield is a bug magnet and collects debris like no other vehicle I’ve ever owned. Make sure you keep your wiper fluid full on those long trips!
  • The updated iOS / CarPlay with Google Maps was great, but the default volume for navigation guidance is simply too loud.
  • I picked up a couple small rock chips on the front of the rear fenders; seems like it’s just bound to happen with the front tires throwing things up and back.

All-in-all, I’m an even bigger fan of this JL after putting some solid road trip miles on her. I can’t wait for the next excursion! :)

Couple of pics below.

Jeep @ Tumalo Falls
43234610200_84ece40af7.jpg

Jeep on some random forest road
44188799325_3eb63b73de.jpg

Crater Lake
44418131224_96ddd01a68.jpg

Jeep @ Smith Rock
45139046281_f6579c3bbf.jpg

Tumalo Falls
45090067272_4e7566621b.jpg

Jeep @ Paulina
44153019425_59cc0acacf.jpg
That looks to have been a good trip. I too just bought my JLUR diesel a couple months ago here in Oregon and was able to spend a week in central and eastern Oregon following some of the Oregon Outback Discovery route. We towed a small trailer with RTT and got an average of 24.7MPG during our adventure. I used to have a Land Rover Defender 90 for 18 years and this new Rubi is so much more of an off road vehicle that’s totally comfortable to drive. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

4F5D66BA-F7A7-4757-85FC-EB43B21B07C2.jpeg
Sponsored