Sponsored

First Report on 6 Speed--Drove it Home!!

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, I'm not spending much time here until later, but here is the initial impression of Red Rubi....This thing is GREAT! The clutch is just fine. Those reporters at Motor Trend have forgotten how to drive a clutch. It does have very quick engagement, but I've driven clutches like this before and I just don't see the issue. My initial impression is that it is just fine. Different from the JK, but just fine. The shifter itself feels amazing. It is smooth and the gates are very easy to find. I did make my first mistake, though. I put it into 6th instead of reverse, forgetting reverse is now in the upper left.

Right now I've got sensory overload, just from the red paint! All the features and the infotainment are going to take getting used to. I'm accustomed to the simplicity of my JK.

I got 19.8 mpg on the way home on a route that would have gotten about 17.5 on my JK. Those numbers are indicated. My JK is almost 1mpg optimistic, so I'm assuming this one is, too. If it is not, then it is even better. I can't wait to see what it gets when the engine is broken in.

I'm probably still going to lift it and put 35's on it, but I think I could be perfectly happy with it as-is.

I'll report back late tonight. Gotta eat and go break this bad boy in!
Sponsored

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ‘20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Congrats! Enjoy your new MT Rubi.

Looking forward to reading more about your new Rubi experience.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dude. You can't go play with your new toy until you tell us all about it.
Lol, as soon as I throw some groceries down my neck, I'm gone!

Sponsored

hilljackglh

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F-150. 2018 Yukon Denali
Occupation
Retired Dentist
Ok, I'm not spending much time here until later, but here is the initial impression of Red Rubi....This thing is GREAT! The clutch is just fine. Those reporters at Motor Trend have forgotten how to drive a clutch. It does have very quick engagement, but I've driven clutches like this before and I just don't see the issue. My initial impression is that it is just fine. Different from the JK, but just fine. The shifter itself feels amazing. It is smooth and the gates are very easy to find. I did make my first mistake, though. I put it into 6th instead of reverse, forgetting reverse is now in the upper left.

Right now I've got sensory overload, just from the red paint! All the features and the infotainment are going to take getting used to. I'm accustomed to the simplicity of my JK.

I got 19.8 mpg on the way home on a route that would have gotten about 17.5 on my JK. Those numbers are indicated. My JK is almost 1mpg optimistic, so I'm assuming this one is, too. If it is not, then it is even better. I can't wait to see what it gets when the engine is broken in.

I'm probably still going to lift it and put 35's on it, but I think I could be perfectly happy with it as-is.

I'll report back late tonight. Gotta eat and go break this bad boy in!
Awesome. Sure appreciate the post. I’d be grateful if you would bring it to Lexington,KY so I can try it out. Drinks n dinner on me.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Awesome. Sure appreciate the post. I’d be grateful if you would bring it to Lexington,KY so I can try it out. Drinks n dinner on me.
Damn, I'd love to. I just can't get out of work. I'm swamped up to my ears!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
...just finished Chinese food.

The fortune cookie reads: "always better to shift a vehicle into a forward gear when seeking reverse than vice versa.";)

Drive the new rig in good health: yours and its.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, another story coming later....My dealer had given me 1% below invoice and their doc fees were 200 bucks. So, my salesman calls and tells me he found some savings. The quick version is that they surprised me with about an additional $1000 off! 500 of it was one rebate, and then there was another 200 in another. I don't know what made up the rest. I haven't looked that closely yet. So, I wind up with about 3% below invoice with a $200 title/doc fee! To say I love this dealership would be an understatement. They've been 1st class, all the way, and for the 10 years I've serviced my JK there.

OP
OP
DanW

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
Hey congratulations!!! so please post a video of you going through the gears shifting down shifting let us hear it and see it for those like me who are getting the 6 spd.. "smalls you killing me" I got to see it.
Sponsored