Sponsored

First real world diesel rubicon mpg test

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I’m looking forward to the first dyno and mpg results from a deleted JLU 3.0.
Me too. If the.mods work out well, I might.seriously consider trading in my 2018 JLUS S, for a diesel.

Sponsored

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Bit of an amusing comparison, 3.6 gas Gladiator vs 3.0 diesel Wrangler.

Interestingly at 10:00 they show the weights on teh scales for both vehicles, and the diesel Wrangler comes in with 2680 front 2400 rear, not too bad a balance.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Bit of an amusing comparison, 3.6 gas Gladiator vs 3.0 diesel Wrangler.

Interestingly at 10:00 they show the weights on teh scales for both vehicles, and the diesel Wrangler comes in with 2680 front 2400 rear, not too bad a balance.
Anyone around here have the same axle weights on a 2.0 or 3.6?

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
You would have to run nearly constant regen cycles to drop 5mpg average. Modern DPFs are not running regen cycles that often. I guess time will tell where these things pan out, but the autoblog guys have been running theirs a few weeks in mixed driving seeing over 25mpg.
The biggest concern regarding regen is when the vehicle is not used as its designed to be used. I have seen all kinds of DPF and EGR issues on the Cummins diesels that were used primarily as daily drivers. Not used for hauling/towing at all or very minimal. 99% of the DPF and EGR isses were sue to excessive soot build up. Now this was about 10 years ago, but I feel there still is the chance of this happening with newer diesels. I had a couple of customers perform an EGR delete and tune on stock engines, from air filter to oil pan, not have these issues.

With seeing this first hand, a mild tune, intake and exhaust mods would definitely improve hp,tq, fuel efficiency, along with reliability.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The biggest concern regarding regen is when the vehicle is not used as its designed to be used. I have seen all kinds of DPF and EGR issues on the Cummins diesels that were used primarily as daily drivers. Not used for hauling/towing at all or very minimal. 99% of the DPF and EGR isses were sue to excessive soot build up. Now this was about 10 years ago, but I feel there still is the chance of this happening with newer diesels. I had a couple of customers perform an EGR delete and tune on stock engines, from air filter to oil pan, not have these issues.

With seeing this first hand, a mild tune, intake and exhaust mods would definitely improve hp,tq, fuel efficiency, along with reliability.
The DPF and excessive soot because of EGR, is still a problem, with modern and newly produced diesels. The only way to cure this is to delete the offending parts. You can prolong reliability, though, if you tow heavy, a lot. But you will still have these issues.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The DPF and excessive soot because of EGR, is still a problem, with modern and newly produced diesels. The only way to cure this is to delete the offending parts. You can prolong reliability, though, if you tow heavy, a lot. But you will still have these issues.
It’ll be interesting to see if the rate of EGR issues is less, pulling cooler and cleaner exhaust gases post-DPF. Either way, DPFs are heavy, complicated, pollution-trading, consumable parts which are not designed to last the lifespan of the vehicle and deserve to be removed permanently when they fail outside of the manufacturer’s warranty.

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)
Any thoughts on if utilizing ESS will help mitigate excessive soot issues!

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Any thoughts on if utilizing ESS will help mitigate excessive soot issues!
Maybe if you sit in a lot of traffic...personally I think ESS causes excessive engine and starter wear and have it disabled...I’d rather my DPF fail early than my engine.

JudoJack2

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Keep in mind deleting is not only illegal, it negates your warranty. Most dealers won't work on a deleted truck with restoring it due to the law. Try reselling it, and you may have to restore it before it can be sold. In my experience (powerstroke Fords), the biggest issues come from not working the engine hard enough. Excessive idling will cause problems, but I'm no fan of ESS.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep in mind deleting is not only illegal, it negates your warranty. Most dealers won't work on a deleted truck with restoring it due to the law. Try reselling it, and you may have to restore it before it can be sold. In my experience (powerstroke Fords), the biggest issues come from not working the engine hard enough. Excessive idling will cause problems, but I'm no fan of ESS.
Being that the diesel Jeeps are not tow vehicles, well, that is one more reason to yank the equipment. As for not working on an altered diesel, dont take it to a dealer. Problem solved. No problems getting work done on altered vehicles, in the Texas area. Then again, once you delete that junk, they usually dont break down. Also, never seen a deleted diesel fail inspection. That's because Nobody Cares!!

Last edited:

Stampede.Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
beat up old VW Passat
Sound like you need to try living somewhere less totalitarian.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
Hello everybody. Does anybody have received their Ecodiesel yet? I'm wondering because I have a 2018 3.6 Rubicon and it is a good all around vehicle. But I was thinking maybe the ED would be a better option if you travel a lot. I like to go everywhere and drive the Jeep, and i love it. How different is the oil change? How often you have to add DEF? I like the idea of driving to Moab and anywhere west to do some real wheeling when my wife retires, but the idea of a diesel always was appealing to me. I am looking for wisdom from the brotherhood of the best vehicle on the planet. :jk:

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
8.5 quarts vs 5. About 10K miles, or basically every oil change.
Thank you. That does not seem like a lot. I like changing my own oil, air filters etc., so its about the same. I change my oil every 5k. Just want to make an informed decision when time comes.
Sponsored