Sponsored

First real world diesel rubicon mpg test

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
I'm thinking outside the box, and what many will do, once they see the issues associated with modern diesels.

ok... but when doing a real world MPG test on a brand new drive train, it should be done with a stock vehicle. Then you can modify it and do a real world before and after.
Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
ok... but when doing a real world MPG test on a brand new drive train, it should be done with a stock vehicle. Then you can modify it and do a real world before and after.
I agree. But, a lot of people down here, modify their diesels soon after buying. Making those stock numbers meaningless.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Can't even buy that Nissan diesel anymore. It was discontinued last year due to poor sales.
Yep, i did watch enough to see the Nissan was a gasser. They weren't comparing diesel to diesel

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
The good news for those of us modifying on the delivery date is there will be a majority of folks who do zero functional mods, providing thousands of examples of stock mpg’s. I’m also more interested in how my 3.0 JLUR compares to my 3.6 JLUR with the same mods and same driving conditions...18 months of mpg data on the latter should suffice.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Everybody looks at highway numbers, but the combined numbers are far more representative of what 98% of us would actually see.

In another video, they also said they were seeing around 20 MPG running around town. That sounds about right from my experience with factory diesels in Jeeps. Figure 23-25 MPG from week to week in a typical commute to and from work. It's better than the gas engines for sure, but it's not mind blowing. And, you're paying more for the fuel according to AAA's national average prices report.

If I got an EcoDiesel, it would NOT be for fuel economy or to save $$$ in any way, because it won't happen. I'd be getting it solely for the added torque when towing.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Everybody looks at highway numbers, but the combined numbers are far more representative of what 98% of us would actually see.

In another video, they also said they were seeing around 20 MPG running around town. That sounds about right from my experience with factory diesels in Jeeps. Figure 23-25 MPG from week to week in a typical commute to and from work. It's better than the gas engines for sure, but it's not mind blowing. And, you're paying more for the fuel according to AAA's national average prices report.

If I got an EcoDiesel, it would NOT be for fuel economy or to save $$$ in any way, because it won't happen. I'd be getting it solely for the added torque when towing.
Assuming what they were “seeing” was the onboard computer mpg calculation, and that all of them have been calibrated the same, they were likely getting low-balled from actual per the TFL video. And most of the rigs wheeling in Utah were still well above 20 on the displayed mpg.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Assuming what they were “seeing” was the onboard computer mpg calculation, and that all of them have been calibrated the same, they were likely getting low-balled from actual per the TFL video. And most of the rigs wheeling in Utah were still well above 20 on the displayed mpg.
My OPINION (stress opinion/guess here) is that the computer low balls the milage because when a Regen kicks in, your average milage will go way down.

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My OPINION (stress opinion/guess here) is that the computer low balls the milage because when a Regen kicks in, your average milage will go way down.
You would have to run nearly constant regen cycles to drop 5mpg average. Modern DPFs are not running regen cycles that often. I guess time will tell where these things pan out, but the autoblog guys have been running theirs a few weeks in mixed driving seeing over 25mpg.

Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7

JLURD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5 MPG?
Screenshot_20200113-123619_YouTube.jpg

Also, I think these things Regen a lot more than you think.
https://www.ram1500diesel.com/threads/regen-frequency.25033/
Yea the TFL rig indicated 26mpg and returned 31+ hand calculated if I recall correctly. Your theory was maybe the computer is anticipating regen losses to come up with that number, which I doubt because most onboard calculations are responding to real-time fuel consumption. If the gen2 3.0 regen rate is replicated with the gen3 JLU variant, I’ll regen once per week...if that’s capable of dropping my average mpg for the week by 5mpg, something is seriously wrong with the volume of diesel burned per regen cycle.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If you yank the "emissions crap" out, good luck getting dealer service or being able to sell it in the Chicago area.
Keep it, or sell it after you put all that stuff back on.

And bye bye warranty on a brand new engine design.
Yanking all the emissions can only improve reliability. Besides, its a Jeep, what could really go wrong?? :LOL:
With all the mods people do, you think anything is really covered on those Jeeps anyway?