First real world diesel rubicon mpg test

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Thank you. That does not seem like a lot. I like changing my own oil, air filters etc., so its about the same. I change my oil every 5k. Just want to make an informed decision when time comes.
I’ll direct this comment to you, but it actually applies to many folks on the forum who have mentioned their arbitrary oil change intervals which are shorter than the manufacturer’s recommendation. If you are considering wasting thousands of dollars over the lifespan of the vehicle on potentially unnecessary oil changes, why not spend under $100 on a Blackstone or similar used oil analysis to more accurately time oil changes to your specific engine’s wear pattern?

Advertisement

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018JLUR in Mojito!, 2019 Ram Rebel, 2019 Honda Accord
Occupation
Retired Navy
I’ll direct this comment to you, but it actually applies to many folks on the forum who have mentioned their arbitrary oil change intervals which are shorter than the manufacturer’s recommendation. If you are considering wasting thousands of dollars over the lifespan of the vehicle on potentially unnecessary oil changes, why not spend under $100 on a Blackstone or similar used oil analysis to more accurately time oil changes to your specific engine’s wear pattern?
Now you are going to have to enlighten me and the other non-mechanically inclined forum members what is it and where to get it. I think I do it at 5k because I see it as preventive maintenance. And remember that ignorance is bliss...:whatsgoingon:

JLURD

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Compass Latitude 6MT, 2020 JLUR 3.0
Now you are going to have to enlighten me and the other non-mechanically inclined forum members what is it and where to get it. I think I do it at 5k because I see it as preventive maintenance. And remember that ignorance is bliss...:whatsgoingon:
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests/standard-analysis/

You send them a sample of your used oil, they test it and compare to known standards. The results give you an objective idea of whether the manufacturer suggested interval is too long, or in some cases, not long enough depending on your driving conditions and the variances within your specific engine.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
https://www.blackstone-labs.com/tests/standard-analysis/

You send them a sample of your used oil, they test it and compare to known standards. The results give you an objective idea of whether the manufacturer suggested interval is too long, or in some cases, not long enough depending on your driving conditions and the variances within your specific engine.
Thank you very much again. I am trying to learn as much as I can and keep my Rubicon up to snuff. Probably will start some kind of moderate upgrade in the near future. But then again, the Ecodiesel temptation is strong...

mtnbikeracer76

First Name
Darin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Cherokee , 2008 HHR SS
Occupation
Warehouse
Using Blackstone was an eye opener for me. In my HHR SS , turbo 2.0 cyl, putting out 300 hp, I was changing the oil every 7-8000 miles. I used Blackstone and found that I could extend my oil change intervals out to 10k. Going an extra 2-3k miles between changes, saved me probably close to $400 bux over the last 7 years. If I would have bought this car new, closer to 1k in savings would have been more likely.

SamIam

First Name
Sam
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Navy
Using Blackstone was an eye opener for me. In my HHR SS , turbo 2.0 cyl, putting out 300 hp, I was changing the oil every 7-8000 miles. I used Blackstone and found that I could extend my oil change intervals out to 10k. Going an extra 2-3k miles between changes, saved me probably close to $400 bux over the last 7 years. If I would have bought this car new, closer to 1k in savings would have been more likely.
Do you use synthetic or conventional oil? I use synthetic 0W20 and never had any issues. I keep my receipts for the oil and filter and keep a minilog of the date and mileage. So being retired, gives me something to do.

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement