First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
70kWh isn't all that much given this is not an efficient vehicle, and I haven't seen if that's a gross or net rating. By Comparison the Model 3 gets about 300 miles out of a 70kWh (usable) pack. Given that the Model 3 isn't shaped like a dishwasher and isn't riding on 33" knobby tires, I would expect the Jeep to get something closer to 200 miles with that capacity.

And that's also without knowing how they intend to use this 6spd manual, which seems unnecessary but I don't even care - as long is I'm not taking a massive efficiency penalty.

All I ask is that Jeep give it modern charging architecture. Let me get that range back at 250kw chargers please.
Agreed and I do wonder how it'll play out in the end. LOTS of r&d spilling into this still I'm certain of. I'm just uber intrigued by this being the first of its kind. They have a lot of obstacles to tackle with it, but I give them props for spearheading this.
Sponsored

Morris4x4

First Name
Morris 4x4
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.morris4x4center.com
Vehicle(s)
JL, '13 JK
Honestly I thought it was Dozer, and that would be good for me. Nacho is just too yellow for me, and here in the bright AZ sun it really looks more yellow. I think Dozer has more of an orange tint to it. Punk'n was great, but can't get that anymore.
understandable. I snagged a crush and I can't get enough of it. Nacho feels a little bob the builder/tonka to me hahah. I loved the punkn with its more hint of red to it. really stands out for those AZ sunsets for those who got it I'm sure.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
70kWh isn't all that much given this is not an efficient vehicle, and I haven't seen if that's a gross or net rating. By Comparison the Model 3 gets about 300 miles out of a 70kWh (usable) pack. Given that the Model 3 isn't shaped like a dishwasher and isn't riding on 33" knobby tires, I would expect the Jeep to get something closer to 200 miles with that capacity.

And that's also without knowing how they intend to use this 6spd manual, which seems unnecessary but I don't even care - as long is I'm not taking a massive efficiency penalty.

All I ask is that Jeep give it modern charging architecture. Let me get that range back at 250kw chargers please.
I agree with this. I'm fairly disappointed in the Magneto. It looks like something that was haphazardly slapped together. Here is a vehicle that has multiple batteries, instead of one, will likely have limited range, still has a transmission. A manual at that. This is one concept I hope doesn't make it to production in its current form.

A Wrangler EV is going to have to be new from the ground up if it is going to be successful. It will need ONE battery pack that can be fully submerged without damage. It's going to need 2 to 4 submergable electric motors and it shouldn't have a transmission at all. I think most will agree it's going to need at least 300miles of range as well as some sort of fast charging support.

Getting the off road community to buy into a Wrangler EV is going to be hard enough. Stellantis (man what a stupid name) is WAY behind other manufacturers in EV tech. They had better get their act together quickly.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I don't get it. Why are we still using a transmission with electric motors?
My Guess would be that Jeep does not have a skateboard platform? So they're basically trying to 'adapt' battery technology to what they have?
You know, Ford owns part of Rivian, I'm betting that is how they are going to electrify the Bronco...

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
My Guess would be that Jeep does not have a skateboard platform? So they're basically trying to 'adapt' battery technology to what they have?
You know, Ford owns part of Rivian, I'm betting that is how they are going to electrify the Bronco...
I’m speculating a bit, but I think they slapped it together with one electric motor in the engine bay. Using the existing tranny would let them easily tie into the transfer case for 4WD..

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Still makes no sense though, why can't they just tie the motor directly to the transfer case? (The transfer case only split the torque, there is no need for low range.) There is no precievable difference to "shift gears" with a electric motor, it provides full torque at 0rpm and goes all the way up to lets say 20,000 rpm.

What difference would it make to just drive in 1st gear, with the motor spinning at 20,000 rpm, or drive in 6th gear, and the motor in 3000 rpm?

What role does the manual transmission have? It will be like driving an auto with 1 gear. You don't need to shift at all. You can just leave it in 1st gear and drive.

Just run a shaft from the motor to the transfer case and be done with it. No torque converters, no transmission etc.

All of this makes zero sense to me.

Last edited:

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It's too bad they didn't make the concept with these axles, with 180kw at each axle (that's 241 HP each). It's likely that the front suspension would need to be redesigned, but they could fit a huge amount of batteries underneath with no driveshafts, transfer case, transmission, exhaust system, gas tank, etc.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Preview of Easter Jeep Safari Concepts, Including Magneto Wrangler EV Concept eS4500rwithMV275

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I’m speculating a bit, but I think they slapped it together with one electric motor in the engine bay. Using the existing tranny would let them easily tie into the transfer case for 4WD..
Sure, I get that.
So,
Delete the stupid torque converter, delete the transmission, mate the motor to the transfer case. Kill the low range in the transfer case. Done.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Sol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2020 JL Willys
Despite the orange-red color clash, the restomod Commando does it for me. Would risk whiplash for those low-back bucket seats...

Will Jeep ever admit their mistake of not offering body colored dash panels? It’s sad that the JL interior is dull enough to make plaid seat inserts look great.

What’s up with these fender vents & hood? Can’t believe a stock V-6 needs that much cooling.
Jeep Wrangler JL First Preview of Easter Jeep Safari Concepts, Including Magneto Wrangler EV Concept 1616458567129

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
This concept is DOA. Insufficient range and applying electric power through a six speed manual....very unnecessary with electric propulsion. At most a two speed would be more than adequate. Jeep will not survive the EV transition with traditional thinking like that demonstrated by this concept.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
Despite the orange-red color clash, the restomod Commando does it for me. Would risk whiplash for those low-back bucket seats...

Will Jeep ever admit their mistake of not offering body colored dash panels? It’s sad that the JL interior is dull enough to make plaid seat inserts look great.

What’s up with these fender vents & hood? Can’t believe a stock V-6 needs that much cooling.
1616458567129.jpeg
I think the fender vents are to fill the gap and blend where the factory fender and vent would be. these appear to be lower at the top than factor fenders so the vent had to be modified.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sol

Adamoni

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon (2.0T w/ eTorque)