Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I think you are correct - if nothing else our electric grid can’t handle mass EV adoption. California has rolling brownouts now - before widespread adoption....no easy fix there.
I am interested if we can ultimately end up with a hybrid grid. There will always be a centralized grid, but I think solar can get to a point where it can be distributed and feed power back to the grid as well.

This is kind of like when people were concerned about the future when there were millions of people in cities and the streets were full of horse shit.

It's hard to predict because we tend to just pull one variable into the future without considering how other things will also evolve.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I am interested if we can ultimately end up with a hybrid grid. There will always be a centralized grid, but I think solar can get to a point where it can be distributed and feed power back to the grid as well.
That's actually exactly how all grid-tied solar currently functions.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
That's actually exactly how all grid-tied solar currently functions.
Ok but I mean at scale. I admit I don't know a lot about it but the idea of the grid being blanketed across the roofs of an entire city is kind of cool.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Ok but I mean at scale. I admit I don't know a lot about it but the idea of the grid being blanketed across the roofs of an entire city is kind of cool.
Yeah, that's how the majority of residential & commercial solar works. If the power generated on your roof isn't used by you, then it will go to the next closest load. It actually reduces the load on the grid... when it's working.

The biggest issue with scaling is actually storing the energy, and being able to rapidly ramp up/down production. Most renewable energy is very dependent on the weather or time of day, so the challenge is what to do when they aren't working.

Sponsored

JPJeeper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Jurassic Park Edition YJ
Using an electric motor in the engine bay, connected to the manual transmission, will pave the way for Conversion Kits for thousands of Wranglers out there. This will add more customers for the giant Customization Factory being built. Jeep is looking to cover all bases, no Jeep left behind.
Someone gets it. This is not a concept for a new vehicle. This is a concept for a conversion kit for existing Wranglers. I struggled with it buying my 2020 wishing I could have held out a bit longer for a 4xE (really didn't want to be a first year adopter). The reality is things are going to change a lot over the next 5-10 years as electric becomes the norm. Offering a "reasonable" solution to convert existing Wranglers to electric makes sense and is a new potential revenue stream. You'll start seeing more and more of these kinds of things for all sorts of existing gas cars.

Sponsored

Irish Creig

First Name
Creig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Unlimited
Is there any clues yet as to what concepts are being revealed in this years 2022 Easter Jeep Safari? My fav last year was the Magneto and was thrilled that it was an electric vehicle with a 6 speed manual!! That shows that the manual transmission doesn't have to die along with the combustion engine!
Sponsored