Sponsored

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Another pic: given the passion sometimes shown around the tailgate plates … I can’t speak for non-XR 392s, but the one on my XR does make accommodation for the 35s-

Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! DE2281AB-339F-461E-9682-82E3CAB42333
Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Few more pics of the pan …
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! DE2281AB-339F-461E-9682-82E3CAB42333
Interesting, it’s definitely different, but from this particular angle it’s hard to tell if its actually higher, or just reshaped on the bottom with the drain plug moved to the side… Still an improvement either way, and I do like that it’s now stamped steel vs cast aluminum. The steel is certainly going to be heavier, but probably more able to take a hard hit without cracking open like aluminum.

Just a guess though, I’m definitely no expert. 😄 Regardless, thanks for posting the pics!

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Interesting, it’s definitely different, but from this particular angle it’s hard to tell if its actually higher, or just reshaped on the bottom with the drain plug moved to the side… Still an improvement either way, and I do like that it’s now stamped steel vs cast aluminum. The steel is certainly going to be heavier, but probably more able to take a hard hit without cracking open like aluminum.

Just a guess though, I’m definitely no expert. 😄 Regardless, thanks for posting the pics!
From looking at the other forum, it appears to have 1.5" more ground clearance over the aluminum one.

MaxCatMDWV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T250, Model-X, Model A
Occupation
SAR Pilot
The only thing I’m really curious to hear about is from someone who has been driving a standard 392 with 3.73 gearing and swapped with an XR with 4.56.

Currently with my BFG K02 37s I can’t tell any difference from the stock tires to the upgraded tires. I would be curious to see how much better this gearing is in case I decide to do it in the future.
Do you have a lift? I’m so confused on the 392 being actually lifted or not?
That Car and Driver article said 392 is 2” lifted to regular Rubicon and then XR adds another 1.5”. Trying to understand if I can fit 37 on my ordered XR392 without more/new lift.
My life situation pushed me to get the XR and I’m ok with the gearing, etc. good starter for me until I have some time/resource changes. Thanks everyone.

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
There's been several videos on this on YouTube. 37s with no lift will rub and it looks like it's been stuffed in there go to YouTube and check it out

Sponsored

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
That Car and Driver article said 392 is 2” lifted to regular Rubicon and then XR adds another 1.5”. Trying to understand if I can fit 37 on my ordered XR392 without more/new lift.
My life situation pushed me to get the XR and I’m ok with the gearing, etc. good starter for me until I have some time/resource changes. Thanks everyone.
The 392 is lifted -- so is the XR. The XR doesn't add anything material on top of the 392.

For me, gears(4.56) / wheels (wider wheel and less backspacing) are what drove me to add the XR onto the 392.

valen22us

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 2019
The 392 is lifted -- so is the XR. The XR doesn't add anything material on top of the 392.

For me, gears(4.56) / wheels (wider wheel and less backspacing) are what drove me to add the XR onto the 392.
Same for me. On top of having a warranty on 35 tires.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just to clarify, the 392 comes with about an extra 1.5 inches of lift over a standard Rubicon, but the XR 392 has no additional lift over the non-XR 392. I'm including a link to an older post of mine with pics of my 35's and stock suspension from multiple angles, just to give you a point of reference of how much space is left for 37's. From everything I've read, 37's will fit on a stock 392 & XR 392 with no additional lift, (especially the BFG KO2's) but they will also rub off-road.

My pics if you are interested: Click Here Oh, and there are also lots of other great pics of 392's with different set ups in that thread as well, if you haven't already browsed through it.

Hope this helps!

-Rob

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this build. Could also DM him for more details 👍🏻

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/usethis-392-project.80865/

Comac90

First Name
Teak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392XR
Finally got my stock XR fully flexed out today. Couple of noteworthy points that have already been alluded to, but good to actually see it/experience it first hand before I begin mods…

1. there is very little suspension up travel - especially the rear; one of the least of any of the 8 rigs I’ve had over the years. Pic from today the rear for reference:
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! FFE0987F-24FC-4CF5-B32F-7B94634FF4A1

2. There is NO WAY a 37 is fitting without rubbing if you’re going to wheel it; the worst spot appears to be behind the rear tire. I had maybe ½” of clearance at full stuff in the rear.
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! CFD6280A-02C9-4B9B-BD0A-F5DCE682ECA5

3. I love the torque of this motor off road - seat of the pants feel, I think 4.56s are going to work well with 37s.

just my $0.02-
T

Sponsored

MaxCatMDWV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
T250, Model-X, Model A
Occupation
SAR Pilot
Just to clarify, the 392 comes with about an extra 1.5 inches of lift over a standard Rubicon, but the XR 392 has no additional lift over the non-XR 392. I'm including a link to an older post of mine with pics of my 35's and stock suspension from multiple angles, just to give you a point of reference of how much space is left for 37's. From everything I've read, 37's will fit on a stock 392 & XR 392 with no additional lift, (especially the BFG KO2's) but they will also rub off-road.

My pics if you are interested: Click Here Oh, and there are also lots of other great pics of 392's with different set ups in that thread as well, if you haven't already browsed through it.

Hope this helps!

-Rob
Got it! Sounds like the Car & Driver article is *wrong* then; which, is propagating on other threads. I read the following quote as 2"392+1.5"XR=3.5" taller than a standard Rubicon.
C&D: "To accommodate the Hemi engine and the shenanigans it'll inspire, Jeep strengthened the 392's frame, fitted a two-inch suspension lift with Fox dampers, and upgraded the rear brakes. Our test vehicle also included the Xtreme Recon package that adds another 1.5 inches of lift, along with the bigger tires."

I was hoping/interpreting the folks saying 37s fit/work on a non-XR 392 would give the additional "but I wouldn't take it off-road" clearance with that Car & Driver 1.5". Alas, I was wrong and an idiot. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Got it! Sounds like the Car & Driver article is *wrong* then; which, is propagating on other threads. I read the following quote as 2"392+1.5"XR=3.5" taller than a standard Rubicon.
C&D: "To accommodate the Hemi engine and the shenanigans it'll inspire, Jeep strengthened the 392's frame, fitted a two-inch suspension lift with Fox dampers, and upgraded the rear brakes. Our test vehicle also included the Xtreme Recon package that adds another 1.5 inches of lift, along with the bigger tires."

I was hoping/interpreting the folks saying 37s fit/work on a non-XR 392 would give the additional "but I wouldn't take it off-road" clearance with that Car & Driver 1.5". Alas, I was wrong and an idiot. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Nah, that's an easy mistake to make, especially since some automotive outlets have been making incorrect statements like that. Over the past year I've read that the base 392 like mine has anything from a 1 to 2.5 inch lift over a standard Rubi, depending on who you are reading, so I wouldn't be too hard on yourself! 😄

I personally believe it's closer to the middle, or roughly 1.5" taller. I also think that some of the confusion about the height of the XR 392 stems from the fact that the tires on the XR are roughly two inches taller, so it will appear to sit one inch taller than the base 392 if you looked at them side by side.

valen22us

First Name
Luis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 2019
Finally got my stock XR fully flexed out today. Couple of noteworthy points that have already been alluded to, but good to actually see it/experience it first hand before I begin mods…

1. there is very little suspension up travel - especially the rear; one of the least of any of the 8 rigs I’ve had over the years. Pic from today the rear for reference:
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! CFD6280A-02C9-4B9B-BD0A-F5DCE682ECA5

2. There is NO WAY a 37 is fitting without rubbing if you’re going to wheel it; the worst spot appears to be behind the rear tire. I had maybe ½” of clearance at full stuff in the rear.

3. I love the torque of this motor off road - seat of the pants feel, I think 4.56s are going to work well with 37s.

just my $0.02-
T
What region of NC are you?

BradyW

First Name
Brady
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Vehicle Showcase

FFE0987F-24FC-4CF5-B32F-7B94634FF4A1.jpeg

CFD6280A-02C9-4B9B-BD0A-F5DCE682ECA5.jpeg

just my $0.02-
T
I will echo what others have stated in this thread. The 392 and the 392XR have the same amount of lift. ~1.5" over a stock Rubicon. Both versions of the 392 and the diesel have extra-long bump stop towers in the front to prevent the axle from interfering with the engine. The V6 Rubicon XR also has these extra-long bump stop towers, but they are used for tire stuffing clearance instead of engine clearance.

What this means. A standard 392 has the same fender clearance as a 392XR. Going above 35" will mean you either have to modify your fenders for extra clearance or increase bump stops which you DO NOT want to do on a 392!

What this also means. All 392's have very little up-travel. After adding a winch to the front bumper my 392XR I lost .5" of ride height and now have less than 2.5" of up travel. Which is very noticeable off-highway and over 5mph. The attached picture is showing the travel achieved on my front Fox 2.5 DSCs before hitting the bump stops. In my limited testing so far the high-speed compression on the DSCs needs to be 5 clicks or higher to avoid hitting the bump stops off-road on even moderate bumps/dips. 3 clicks of high-speed compression is notably more comfortable on-highway.

The stock 1.5" lift was not enough to create sufficient up travel for an off-road vehicle in my opinion. This applies to the Diesel, the V6 XR, and the 392s. I have ordered a Clayton 2.5" Overland+ lift, which I will run with the stock 35" tires, therefore not requiring fender clearance mods or additional bump stops. The 2.5" lift should provide between 1-1.5" of additional up travel in this configuration, which is a pretty significant improvement, considering how little up travel exists in stock form.
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! IMG-0746

Last edited:

cgrosen324

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Raptor
I will echo what others have stated in this thread. The 392 and the 392XR have the same amount of lift. ~1.5" over a stock Rubicon. Both versions of the 392 and the diesel have extra-long bump stop towers in the front to prevent the axle from interfering with the engine. The V6 Rubicon XR also has these extra-long bump stop towers, but they are used for tire stuffing clearance instead of engine clearance.

What this means. A standard 392 has the same fender clearance as a 392XR. Going above 35" will mean you either have to modify your fenders for extra clearance or increase bump stops which you DO NOT want to do on a 392!

What this also means. All 392's have very little up-travel. After adding a winch to the front bumper my 392XR I lost .5" of ride height and now have less than 2.5" of up travel. Which is very noticeable off-highway and over 5mph. The attached picture is showing the travel achieved on my front Fox 2.5 DSCs before hitting the bump stops. In my limited testing so far the high-speed compression on the DSCs needs to be 5 clicks or higher to avoid hitting the bump stops off-road on even moderate bumps/dips. 3 clicks of high-speed compression is notably more comfortable on-highway.

The stock 1.5" lift was not enough to create sufficient up travel for an off-road vehicle in my opinion. This applies to the Diesel, the V6 XR, and the 392s. I have ordered a Clayton 2.5" Overland+ lift, which I will run with the stock 35" tires, therefore not requiring fender clearance mods or additional bump stops. The 2.5" lift should provide between 1-1.5" of additional up travel in this configuration, which is a pretty significant improvement, considering how little up travel exists in stock form.
Jeep Wrangler JL First pic of a 392XR (Xtreme Recon)! IMG-0746
Very disappointing! Thank you posting this though; it’s very useful info.
Sponsored