Sponsored

When (how many miles) did you do your first oil change?

Lil Red

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km).

The above is straight from the owners manual.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

You really want a mind trip? My wife's new Lexus (and the dealer) recommend oil changes every 10,000 miles.

Yeah, I nearly had a heart attack, too. I'm sure it'll be fine, but the idea of going 10K miles between oil changes just makes me shudder.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
You really want a mind trip? My wife's new Lexus (and the dealer) recommend oil changes every 10,000 miles.

Yeah, I nearly had a heart attack, too. I'm sure it'll be fine, but the idea of going 10K miles between oil changes just makes me shudder.
Bruh that news is as old as the crust in your underwear. It's been like 10 years or more that BMW has been doing that. Like you I think it's ridiculous.

Sponsored

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Bruh that news is as old as the crust in your underwear. It's been like 10 years or more that BMW has been doing that. Like you I think it's ridiculous.
Ha, yeah we've been out of the loop on new vehicles for a while. Her Lexus replaced a '12 Hyundai Sonata and my Sahara is replacing an '07 GMC pickup.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

I'd do it in a Pentastar before the Lexus, especially if it is a DI/Turbo. But with the right oil, it'd be fine, I'm sure. BTW, Toyota/Lexus branded oil is rebranded Mobil 1. So I think Toyota knows what they are doing. I'm a little surprised that the Pentastar isn't at least a 10k OCI, as easy as it is on the oil. Maybe the 5 quart capacity is why. Not sure. But I've run it out to over 8k and did an analysis and the oil was in good shape.

But I've since then settled on 5k changes because it makes me sleep better.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I am a proponent of getting the wear metals out of the engine early and not stretching out oil changes for long intervals as noted by my oil change history:

1st OC @ 800 miles
2nd OC @ 2,000 miles
3rd OC @ 5,000 miles
4th OC @ 10,000 miles
5th OC @ 15,000 miles
6th OC @ 20,000 miles
7th OC @ 25,000 miles
8th OC @ 30,000 miles

If you really want to check the health of the oil, a used oil analysis (UOA) is the only way. Everything else is guesswork.

R3TRO

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Jeep Willys
Occupation
Film Industry
I went in for the first oil change at 7,500 miles, when the Jeep's computer said it needed to be done.
Same. Just took mine in last week. Was at 7500K miles with 5% left on the life meter. I've always followed the computer and have never had a problem.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Same. Just took mine in last week. Was at 7500K miles with 5% left on the life meter. I've always followed the computer and have never had a problem.
Pentastars are easy on oil, so I doubt you'll see the day that thing wears out, even if you keep it for a long, long time.

Caveman044

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURXR
I've read numerous oil analysis reports from others on various forums and the results are almost always that oil lasts much longer than most people think.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
No it's actually based on driving habits. All highway? The interval will be much longer
Accurate, at 4300 miles my oil reads around 55% life.