Sponsored

first oil change

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
0W20 is synthetic. Of course, that word doesn't mean much, since virtually all "synthetics" come from petroleum base stocks before the pixie dust is added. :cwl:
Assuming, the factory did the first fill with the recommended 0w20. Reality is, what the frigg does it matter what the factory put in there...
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Space ace

Your choice when to change. I'm not sure if the dealership will give you one of your freebe oil changes if you only have 2500 miles on the vehicle. Reality is, it is no big deal to leave the oil in for 5,000 miles. As I said, I would at least change the oil filter at 2500 miles as it may have picked up some debris over the 2500 miles.

Lots of guys/gals have different ideas on this but what I have mentioned is pretty acceptable by most all..

You can also get the MO-349 filter at Walmart. Of course you will pay about $12 for the filter there. Oil Filter is very very easy to change.
I'm at 3600 miles with original filter and same oil...I'll check my oil tomorrow for levels, color, and viscosity. As of yet, I still have not seen the "change your oil" notification message...

And thanks for the oil filter suggestion! :like:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Space ace

Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to. Oil Filter is a cartridge and you pull it upward to remove. No, no oil is lost other then the light coat of oil on the filter itself and a drip or three... Changing filter does not require you to add any oil.

You use a 24mm socket to remove the oil filter cover. Can be done with a large adjustable wrench if you don't currently have a 24mm socket.
OMGOODNESSS! THANK YOU! LOL! I'll probably do this tomorrow if I can just pull it from the top of the engine...wow. I got my lil tools in the floor compartment in the back of Lil'Hulk...this is gonna be fun :giggle:

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Easiest oil filter removal ever! The oil drips down back into the motor, not all over your hand. Why didn't engineers think of this years ago?
lol this is exciting!

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I have always used K&N oil filters, if your interested the part number is PS-7026 for the 3.6L.
THIS!!! Thank you :)

https://www.autozone.com/external-engine/oil-filter/k-n-pro-series-oil-filter/698193_0_6863

I'll see if i can get Autozone to order it for me or see if it's anywhere in Houston where I can pick it up. I use K&N Air filter, miteaswell use them for the oil filter. Also...glad to hear that the oil filter change is easier than the air filter change (that was on my nerves...all those screws to loosen in such a tight area).

@BlairF
Humble Autozone has it in stock: 115 1st St W, Humble, TX 77338

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
@Space ace

Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to. Oil Filter is a cartridge and you pull it upward to remove. No, no oil is lost other then the light coat of oil on the filter itself and a drip or three... Changing filter does not require you to add any oil.

You use a 24mm socket to remove the oil filter cover. Can be done with a large adjustable wrench if you don't currently have a 24mm socket.
*Giggles* I DID IT! :sun: THANK YOU! :fist bump:

However, I did have to look for it lol...thought it would be indicated in the Jeep Manual, but I was wrong. They got the oil fill and the oil dipstick labeled in the engine bay diagram, but no oil filter.

I've never changed an oil filter before because they're usually under the block. So, with the manual not showing the location, I had to use my context clues and common sense! :idea: LOL..the ONLY thing that looks like it could hold an object the size of the filter and your description of "Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to" confirmed the exact location (deep area, behind the alternator).

I didn't have the 24mm socket, so had to ask dad. He had a 15/16in (24mm) with a 1/2 drive hookup and it worked well for me. He also gave me an extension to help with it. I stood on my bumper and half of my body was under the hood so that i could pull the filter out with no lean angle (didn't wanna cause a mess w/dripping oil). I did the same when installing the K&N filter, wanted it to drop right in with no lean angle so I wouldn't be stripping any threads once I began to tighten it with my fingers. Once it went on easily, and I wasn't able to tighten it any longer with my hand, then used my socket hookup. Went pretty flawless!

I'mma go get my own 15/16in, 1/2 drive socket tho, so I won't have to be disrupting dad's tools... :giggle:

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I’d just use the cheap Mopar MO-349 oil filter. You can get it at WalMart for ~$10.

I plan on changing just the oil filter at 2,500 miles then charging the oil and oil filter at 5,000 miles and every 5,000 after that. I’ll be using Penzoil Platinum 0w-20 also from WalMart for ~$27 for 5 quarts. Penzoil usually always has a $10 rebate on 5 quarts online you can submit. Just take a pic of your receipt and submit online. Make sure to buy from a retailer noted in the rebate. Most all major retailers are included though.

Oh and 5 tire rotation every 5,000 miles as well.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
Yes, cheaper from Amazon. I personally choose to support my local Wally World. I have my reasons :)

Also, K&N air filter was mentioned. Don’t want to start a holy war but personally :no: for me on K&N air filters. I have not really ever found a reason to pay more to use them even if they’re reusable. Most people will change their air filter what once a year? Not worth the risk to me to put in a non-OEM filter.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, cheaper from Amazon. I personally choose to support my local Wally World. I have my reasons :)

Also, K&N air filter was mentioned. Don’t want to start a holy war but personally :no: for me on K&N air filters. I have not really ever found a reason to pay more to use them even if they’re reusable. Most people will change their air filter what once a year? Not worth the risk to me to put in a non-OEM filter.
I changed my air filter every 4 months...but i owned 2 K&N filters. As it would give me time to clean/oil up the other one without having to stuck at home until the filter dried. I'd put the clean one in, place the dirty one in the box until i had the time to clean/oil it. Once it was done, I'd store it and wait for the new one to get dirty...so ye i changed mine quite frequently. Love K&N filters <3

Last edited:

Sponsored

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
Yep, I just drop in my barely used paper filter while I'm cleaning the K&N and letting it air-dry. But it's not something you have to do often unless you're really racking up the miles or operating frequently in extreme conditions.

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
*Giggles* I DID IT! :sun: THANK YOU! :fist bump:

However, I did have to look for it lol...thought it would be indicated in the Jeep Manual, but I was wrong. They got the oil fill and the oil dipstick labeled in the engine bay diagram, but no oil filter.

I've never changed an oil filter before because they're usually under the block. So, with the manual not showing the location, I had to use my context clues and common sense! :idea: LOL..the ONLY thing that looks like it could hold an object the size of the filter and your description of "Filter location is on top of engine. Easy to get to" confirmed the exact location (deep area, behind the alternator).

I didn't have the 24mm socket, so had to ask dad. He had a 15/16in (24mm) with a 1/2 drive hookup and it worked well for me. He also gave me an extension to help with it. I stood on my bumper and half of my body was under the hood so that i could pull the filter out with no lean angle (didn't wanna cause a mess w/dripping oil). I did the same when installing the K&N filter, wanted it to drop right in with no lean angle so I wouldn't be stripping any threads once I began to tighten it with my fingers. Once it went on easily, and I wasn't able to tighten it any longer with my hand, then used my socket hookup. Went pretty flawless!

I'mma go get my own 15/16in, 1/2 drive socket tho, so I won't have to be disrupting dad's tools... :giggle:
Which oil did you go with? I'm in Houston too, so curious about climate and oil choice.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Which oil did you go with? I'm in Houston too, so curious about climate and oil choice.
I didn't change my oil, just my oil filter (K&N). It's currently running stock oil that was installed prior to me picking it up from the dealer.

I should be coming up on my first oil change soon (Jeep Wave program) ...I'll make sure they use synthetic oil as the manual specifies...but not sure of the Brand...

And where are pics of your Jeep! We wanna see! :)

safety_glasses

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I didn't change my oil, just my oil filter (K&N). It's currently running stock oil that was installed prior to me picking it up from the dealer.

I should be coming up on my first oil change soon (Jeep Wave program) ...I'll make sure they use synthetic oil as the manual specifies...but not sure of the Brand...

And where are pics of your Jeep! We wanna see! :)
Ah ok gotcha, sorry I misread your post. I need to check and verify if I paid for any maintenance, i don't think I did, but I'm going to change my own oil at 5k. I'm sitting right above 4,500 right now.

I don't have many pics posted! I try to stay as anonymous on the internet as I can! I do have a few threads with some pics on my ham radio installs in the tech section.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Ah ok gotcha, sorry I misread your post. I need to check and verify if I paid for any maintenance, i don't think I did, but I'm going to change my own oil at 5k. I'm sitting right above 4,500 right now.

I don't have many pics posted! I try to stay as anonymous on the internet as I can! I do have a few threads with some pics on my ham radio installs in the tech section.
Okay lol I feel it...totally understand :)
Sponsored