Sponsored

First Oil Change, what is the filter cap threading supposed to feel like?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
I just did the first oil change on our new Rubicon. I think I recall that the torque spec when reinstalling and tightening the oil filter cap is 18 lb. ft., but as I was tightening the cap the resistance seemed to vary between a smooth free motion and abrupt binding. I didn't use a torque wrench because it would have been useless to equate measured torqe to the actual effective tension on the threads.

I just tightened it until it felt like I could keep spinning it down each time it broke free of the static or inertial resistance, but was afraid the composite material would crack if I tightened it further

I have been twisting wrenches for 50+ years and worked with all sorts of dissimilar metals. I don't need any tips on basic mechanicing, but I would like to get some feedback specific to the "feel" you have experienced when working with these composite oil filter assemblies.

Thank you for any insights you may share.
Sponsored

Last edited:

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would love to see an aftermarket metal oil filter cap. Problems solved.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't you just get it recently?

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Yes. We took delivery two weeks ago. It collected a bunch of miles getting from the dealer to our remotely located town.

I like to change oil sooner than later.

In any event, although I suspect I have it tighter than the advice I have found online: "hand tighten and then a 1/4 turn", yet looser than the 18 lb. ft. service manual specification. It appears to be functioning without any leaks.

It was the abrupt, for lack of a better word "seizing" characteristic that made me wonder if this is a common experience with the composite material cap.

Thank you.

Last edited:

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
It's a bit like those gas caps that you tighten until it clicks, kind of a similar torque there, just a hair tighter. Just be sure to turn it backwards until the thread drops, then turn forwards so you know it's not crossed :)

Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would rather see an all aluminum oil cooler and filter body like Mercedes uses and solve the root cause of the leaks (cracked filter body where it meets the oil cooler).

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
I'm just glad the oil filter is on top, SO easy and don't have to have worry about drips on cross members, taking off splash pans, and trying to wedge my old hands between frame and various motor parts :)

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I'm just glad the oil filter is on top, SO easy and don't have to have worry about drips on cross members, taking off splash pans, and trying to wedge my old hands between frame and various motor parts :)
Yep. Owned a 1988 Olds Calais. Screw off the big plastic cap from the bottom of the oil pan. Skinless filter with a gasket would then be seen. Grab with pliers as the filter and 4qts of oil came out in 1 second.

Aramis76

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon
If i'm not mistaken, the base of the filter housing is also plastic, so changing the cap to metal would not fix the problem as you could still crack the housing if over-torqued.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
If i'm not mistaken, the base of the filter housing is also plastic, so changing the cap to metal would not fix the problem as you could still crack the housing if over-torqued.
Well, that just sucks. .

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
You are not mistaken; it is plastic. If there is a silver lining, the JL oil cooler is about $95 versus the JK which is more than double that.
Sponsored