First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I make them change the factory oil before I take delivery. Then I change it again myself once I’ve driven it home. Then every Friday for the first month. Then every 1000 miles for the remainder of vehicle life.
Sponsored

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
I make them change the factory oil before I take delivery. Then I change it again myself once I’ve driven it home. Then every Friday for the first month. Then every 1000 miles for the remainder of vehicle life.
Wow, is that all? I was thinking more like changing the oil every time I fill up with gas and/or getting a car wash. That should be sufficient. ;)

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Wow, is that all? I was thinking more like changing the oil every time I fill up with gas and/or getting a car wash. That should be sufficient. ;)
Don’t be ridiculous. That’s waaay overboard. You only need to change just the filter at every fill up/car wash in between oil changes.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

Sponsored

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
There is really no correct answer here as all of us will have differing opinions. Some owners are going to go strictly by the OLM. I personally do my first oil change at a few hundred miles and put in conventional oil until the next few oil changes. I determine the first few by looking and smelling the dipstick.

Then it's Mobil 1 at the required viscosity for my driving conditions every 3,000 miles. It's what works for me and my vehicles last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Motorcycles are a lot different!! Dirt bikes get fresh air filter clean and Motul 300 engine oil every 10-12 hours and transmission side Motul Transoil Expert every other engine oil change.

When I was racing, after each race: Flush brake fluid (Motul 600), air filter service, oil change both sides (or trans only on 2T), pad change if under 50%, and adjust rear pedal freeplay at 12mm. KTM recommended 10mm max. Brakes would overheat and lock up from dragging them in high speed whoops.

Street bike gets oil change Motul 7100 every 1,000 miles and sometimes sooner if ridden in stop and go. If I'm touring then it gets fresh oil before I leave and if under 6,000 mile run then changed when I get back home. If i start to miss shifts then it gets and oil change during the tour.

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Given that feedback, I can't see any down side to doing an "early" oil change. Just glad to get the suspended metals out sooner rather than later....but to each his/her own. As stated earlier, we've beaten that dead horse too many times here in the forum. Case closed IMHO....thanks for reading!
Absolutely no down side for our Jeeps.

One thing to add to this is the oil filter inspection. When any new engine is put together by human beings things can be amiss and we have easy access to an early warning sign device. The oil filter. These cartridge type filters can be removed and inspected at any time between oil changes. I did on mine the first few weeks and was very pleased to find nothing alarming. Anyway, that's how I roll on maintenance.

OP
OP
flyer92

flyer92

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2-Door JL Sport, former '80 CJ-5 and '99 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely no down side for our Jeeps.

One thing to add to this is the oil filter inspection. When any new engine is put together by human beings things can be amiss and we have easy access to an early warning sign device. The oil filter. These cartridge type filters can be removed and inspected at any time between oil changes. I did on mine the first few weeks and was very pleased to find nothing alarming. Anyway, that's how I roll on maintenance.
Great point. I did the same thing...partially because it's a great early warning indicator, and partially because it's so easy to do with the filter location on this engine. Despite all the other design gripes that people have, FCA definitely got this one right. Such a pleasure changing oil, it makes me want to do it more often!

Sponsored

miweber929

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 JLU Sport S, ‘16 Silverado
There is really no correct answer here as all of us will have differing opinions. Some owners are going to go strictly by the OLM. I personally do my first oil change at a few hundred miles and put in conventional oil until the next few oil changes. I determine the first few by looking and smelling the dipstick.

Then it's Mobil 1 at the required viscosity for my driving conditions every 3,000 miles. It's what works for me and my vehicles last hundreds of thousands of miles.

Motorcycles are a lot different!! Dirt bikes get fresh air filter clean and Motul 300 engine oil every 10-12 hours and transmission side Motul Transoil Expert every other engine oil change.

When I was racing, after each race: Flush brake fluid (Motul 600), air filter service, oil change both sides (or trans only on 2T), pad change if under 50%, and adjust rear pedal freeplay at 12mm. KTM recommended 10mm max. Brakes would overheat and lock up from dragging them in high speed whoops.

Street bike gets oil change Motul 7100 every 1,000 miles and sometimes sooner if ridden in stop and go. If I'm touring then it gets fresh oil before I leave and if under 6,000 mile run then changed when I get back home. If i start to miss shifts then it gets and oil change during the tour.
You are very welcome to do as you feel is right but if you do an oil analysis on your machines you'll find oil has a break in as well and starts to protect better once it has a few miles on it, usually a couple thousand. So you are changing it before it has a chance to protect like it's designed to, the very thing you are trying to do.

A race bike, yeah, I get that much changing, race conditions on both dirt and street it's a good idea but on my street bikes I am doing once a year or 5,000 miles, even on the sport bike, and analysis shows its still well within its specs. Keep a good air filter on the bike and you can go quite a while on an oil change.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you, just commenting on why I've changed my thinking about oil changes over the past 45 years of motorcycle ownership and maintenance. Fluids have come a LONG way from the oil Castrol bean oil days......

OllieChristopher

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 GMC 2WD Sierra, 4.3, NV3500, 3:73/TruTrac
You are very welcome to do as you feel is right but if you do an oil analysis on your machines you'll find oil has a break in as well and starts to protect better once it has a few miles on it, usually a couple thousand. So you are changing it before it has a chance to protect like it's designed to, the very thing you are trying to do.

A race bike, yeah, I get that much changing, race conditions on both dirt and street it's a good idea but on my street bikes I am doing once a year or 5,000 miles, even on the sport bike, and analysis shows its still well within its specs. Keep a good air filter on the bike and you can go quite a while on an oil change.

Again, I'm not trying to convince you, just commenting on why I've changed my thinking about oil changes over the past 45 years of motorcycle ownership and maintenance. Fluids have come a LONG way from the oil Castrol bean oil days......
I would only trust oil analysis as a very rough guideline. An example was a Volvo generator that threw a rod because of clogged oil filter (had a lazy employee that did not change filters) and ESD switch failure. We sent a sample to Blackstone and nothing was found to show an anomaly in the oil or determine the cause. That was the very last time my company ever used Blackstone.

As long as we kept up with every 200hour oil and filter changes no issue or failures.

Also in a motorcycle engine that shares gearbox and clutch it's important to change oil a bit more often. Only because of clutch fibers that circulate that are not always caught by the screens or filter. Those fibers are like sandpaper in a cylinders, bearings, crank ,cams, plastic cam chain tensioner, acceleration of valve seat wear, etc

One thing that has not changed since the internal combustion engine was invented is oil contamination and oil getting dirty. It is much cheaper to change oil often than to send out samples to Blackstone which cannot always determine the wear of a motor due to poor lubrication and maintenance.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I used my Jeep Wave oil change yesterday at 5300 miles. And look at the mess they made.
Change it yourself. The factory didn’t put that skid on there, they shouldn’t have changed it for free anyway.

SCOverlander

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon Diesel
Change it yourself. The factory didn’t put that skid on there, they shouldn’t have changed it for free anyway.
They shouldn't have changed for free? Don't know why that skid makes a difference. The hole in the engine skid is big enough for two fist. They could of at least wiped down the oil.

Iowa_Wrangler

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 Firecracker Red, 2022 392 On Order
I assume the manual would add a paragraph in the section for engine break in procedures 0-100, 100-300 and 300-500 and 500+. Since they don't, all is good imo.
Sponsored