Sponsored

First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4

JJMalone

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392, '20 JLR, '00 TRD Tacoma
Warming it up gets more oil out. Probably why you were only able to add 6qts.
Not so sure about that. When you shut the engine down anytime all the oil that would drain through the pan plug drains down into the pan. Why wouldn't that oil drain out just as well when it is cold if all the oil that is going to drain into the pan is already there? Just give it a little more time until it stops dripping. I believe just as much is drained and this works just as well as trying to work under a hot motor draining hot oil. I've done it this way for 50+ years. I've done it this way on 2 Corvette Z06s and many other HP cars. Maybe I've been wrong all these years but some of my trucks have had 300k miles on them with no problems. My current '20 JLR has 82K trouble free miles also.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ValkyrieFalling

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Tacoma

Hearhear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lexus, 392 XR Wrangler
I used to change my own oil decades ago, and I might start doing it again. I can’t remember, do you remove the plug then remove the filter? I think that’s how it goes?
What‘s the recommended oil? Thanks

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘23 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392 XR
Vehicle Showcase
Checking with with OP to see how satisfied you are with this alternate filter.

Others finding success with this filter?

Sponsored

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Checking with with OP to see how satisfied you are with this alternate filter.

Others finding success with this filter?
You might try sending him a DM if you haven't already. Unfortunately, I haven't seen Kev on the forums for quite some time, been at least a few months. . :(

Last edited:

markw365

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Clubs

So we all know the drain plug on the 392's were put in an awesome place, to receive a beating. I went to check what socket to use (didn't look up first). 9/16 was to big 1/2 was to small, 13mm didn't fit as well so I used a 14mm. It was the tightest fit and what I used, might not be the proper size but it's what I had to use because:

Markings on the bolt indicate it is metric. Most the stuff on these things is metric anymore.

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I picked up an MO-899 for my first change but haven't done it yet - comparing the sizes and checking your guys' pics, it looks like it's going to be dangerously close to the frame rail, even with the indent on the crossmember. Have you guys who've been running the larger filters noticed any contact or rubbing at all?
Did you proceed with install?
How was the fitment, performance?

Sponsored

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
I changed my oil today for the first time. Odometer has 672 miles on it. I used the bigger MO-041 and as others have said, it does fit. It’s hard to manipulate due to limited room, but I was able to hand tighten and then used my tool for another 1/4 turn. Also, I always let my oil get to operating temps before draining. Then, I let it drain for a good 20-30 minutes….yes, I’m OCD and proud of it. I will use some sort of funnel next time when I remove the oil filter as it does get messy. Also, and just FYI to everyone who reads this, please check your oil level upon taking delivery. I forgot to do that and today when I checked before changing, it was barely above the low level mark. Also, I was able to use all 7 quarts which took me to just under the full level. Thanks OP for a great write up am thrilled the MO-041 is an upgrade option as bigger is better in this case. Cheers.

JDLouisville

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I changed my oil today for the first time. Odometer has 672 miles on it. I used the bigger MO-041 and as others have said, it does fit. It’s hard to manipulate due to limited room, but I was able to hand tighten and then used my tool for another 1/4 turn. Also, I always let my oil get to operating temps before draining. Then, I let it drain for a good 20-30 minutes….yes, I’m OCD and proud of it. I will use some sort of funnel next time when I remove the oil filter as it does get messy. Also, and just FYI to everyone who reads this, please check your oil level upon taking delivery. I forgot to do that and today when I checked before changing, it was barely above the low level mark. Also, I was able to use all 7 quarts which took me to just under the full level. Thanks OP for a great write up am thrilled the MO-041 is an upgrade option as bigger is better in this case. Cheers.
Thanks for the additional information on this topic.

PaulNY

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘24 JLUR 392 Anvil ordered 5-10-23
Just FYI, I called 5 dealers today and inquired with the parts/service depts. about the oil capacity of my 392 with the steel oil pan. Three said 7.5 quarts, and two said 7 quarts. One guy said it's probably 7.5, but because all of the oil is never drained fully, 7 quarts should fill it which in my case is true. 7 quarts filled mine right to the top of the fill line. How in the heck is there not alignment across the board with FCA/Stellantis regarding capacities for our rigs?

jmr

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JL Willys
My 2021 Scat Pack Challenger had the MO-899 from the factory.
BTW the 392 takes 7 quarts of 0W-40 oil max life for the oil is 6 months regardless of mileage.
I've been changing mine at 3,200 miles which will be 49% to 47% on the oil monitor.
Apache 392's and Hellcats run hot oil temps that is why SRT says max time 6 months.

70sKid

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03S2000 '03Tacoma '08E90M3 '21JLUR392 (ordered)
Just FYI, I called 5 dealers today and inquired with the parts/service depts. about the oil capacity of my 392 with the steel oil pan. Three said 7.5 quarts, and two said 7 quarts. One guy said it's probably 7.5, but because all of the oil is never drained fully, 7 quarts should fill it which in my case is true. 7 quarts filled mine right to the top of the fill line. How in the heck is there not alignment across the board with FCA/Stellantis regarding capacities for our rigs?
I just did my first oil change at 2200 miles, and I was surprised to discover some big differences in the newer 392’s from November. For one, the oil pan is different. It’s a black, stamped steel unit with the drain plug on the lower back. Also, the total capacity was 7.5qts. At 7.0qts the oil barely registered on the dipstick. The additional 1/2qt brought the level right to the middle.
I’m not sure what prompted the oil pan change, but this newer one should be a big improvement over the original aluminum one.
I also tried punching a hole in the filter prior to removing it. I thought I was clever. I got the oil to drain beautifully into a long skinnny funnel. After it stopped I proceeded to loosen the filter, and oil still went all over the place…I think the problem is there’s oil on either side of the element, and perhaps there was still a lot remaining on the inside. I tried. Maybe someone else will have better luck.
Sponsored