Sponsored

First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
You can use some aluminum foil to make a splash guard that funnels down to the drain pan.
Also, did you get the oil warmed up before draining?
Sponsored

Deleted member 67726

You can use some aluminum foil to make a splash guard that funnels down to the drain pan.
Also, did you get the oil warmed up before draining?
Thanks for the tip, yeah next time I'll take a smaller funnel that reaches down thru the bars to hit my big oil collection can.

Technically if I follow the manual I'm doing this whole oil change prematurely too lol

For me personally, I did not drive the car except to center on my car lift in my garage, so no I know you are supposed to warm up the engine...and I agree about it being about a qtr turn on the drain plug...I'm a pick and choose rules type of person...I change the oils on my 60 gallon air compressor and my lawn mower and snow blower...but do I follow the owners manual word for word? HELL NO! does anybody really? You would lose your mind trying to follow that legal document word for word, JUST MY 2CENTS as usual lol 😆

Deleted member 67726

Warming it up gets more oil out. Probably why you were only able to add 6qts.
Hahahahahaha I knew thats where u were headed, next time I will try to do so...I don't like changing hot oil tho...and honestly my jeep renegade is always 5.5 qts like the manual calls for, hot or cold...so the 392 being full at 6 qts when it calls for 6.7 qts, sort of surprised me I guess

Sponsored

Ted392

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 2500, TRX, hmmwv's, 392
Does the oil cooler have a drain plug? If so, you should also drain that oil.

ascuro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 392, 1985 CJ7, 1975 CJ5
I picked up an MO-899 for my first change but haven't done it yet - comparing the sizes and checking your guys' pics, it looks like it's going to be dangerously close to the frame rail, even with the indent on the crossmember. Have you guys who've been running the larger filters noticed any contact or rubbing at all?

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Hello fellow Jeepers,

***As stated in the title this is not really about the oil change its self, but the parts I chose to use and observations during the process. This is to help those who want to use the absolute best parts possible for our engine. This is what I chose to do and am not suggesting this to anyone but sharing what I've done and sharing my out comes. If someone is going to mention my warranty in the comments, all I have to say is that if I were worried about a warranty I would have bought new.***

First Parts used for the oil change:

Parts not in the picture that were used as well; shop-rag, channel lock, funnel, oil wrench.
Jeep Wrangler JL First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4 339AB

To drain your oil you will need to remove oil fill cap and drain plug.

Jeep Wrangler JL First oil change on the 392... Information regarding Mopar's alternate oil filter for the 6.4 339AB

Have the oil at or close to operating temp when you drain.

So we all know the drain plug on the 392's were put in an awesome place, to receive a beating. I went to check what socket to use (didn't look up first). 9/16 was to big 1/2 was to small, 13mm didn't fit as well so I used a 14mm. It was the tightest fit and what I used, might not be the proper size but it's what I had to use because:

This had to have happened on my last adventure, it's been through probably about 30-35 miles(low balling) of Dimond rated trails. This damage happened with EVERY line taken was carefully chosen to avoid damage to this damn bolt. Still wasn't enough. I lucked out how damage was taken to the rear of the bolt and just sheered it off, if it had been the front, I would have been stuck out on the trails, This bolt is ridiculously low!!! Skids will be my first addition to it when they become available for our rigs.

Moving on, after oil is drained replace the old oil filter:

I've read no pictures it never happened enough to include pictures of everything... Notice the color of the oil, that is with only 600 miles. Glare is making it look cleaner then it did in person.

The oil filter is the reason for this post. Reading up on the 6.4 I came across information that there was a Mopar oil filter that blew the stock one away. I knew that is what I was going to be using when I did my oil changes, but still had worries that the oil filter backing would not accommodate the filter.
Part # 050380041 AA-001 It is a lot larger then the stock filter.

It's diameter is 3/4 inch larger and 1/2 inch taller:

Notice that the sealant rubber ring is the same diameter though:
(even if they might not look identical in the picture butted up to each other they are identical)

So your going to put on the new filter and fill. Size comparison again:

As you can see it is stuffed in there, but it does but fit. I hand tightened it as hard as I could (there is a point to this) and added 6.65 quarts. Even with all the extra volume in the oil filter that 6.65 quarts filled it completely to the top of the fill bar. If you are going to use the regular filter I would suggest no more then 6-6.2 quarts and then fill from there after you can see where it settles too.

After oil change check everything looked good when out and did 10 miles everything looked good, but I didn't have time to post this (Saturday night) and the next morning I went out to check everything and :surprised: there was oil on the ground, but just a drop, literally a drop:

So I tried to tighten it some more, I couldn't. So I went and grabbed my oil wrench and without effort it twisted almost a 1/4 turn. So I went out and did another 10 miles this time pushing it hard, 4 pulls brought the engine up to 4.5-5k for a little to make sure everything would work a 100% before posting. When I got back there was the ever so slight build up of oil :angry:, not enough to form a drop though. So I once again I got under it and tighten the oil filter some more, it went almost another 1/4 turn. Since then 27 miles with no issues and I'm not worried about future issues. It is soooo much larger and such a tight fit you have to work at making sure it is screwed in all the way and seated properly. There is not much room with the larger filter and don't think anyone would be able to tighten it enough with the larger radius and lack of room. So if you plan on doing this make sure you have an oil filter wrench of some sort, I highly doubt you would be able to tighten it enough without one.

*I'm sure there are others who have thought of doing this and it helps at least one person. To me, that alone makes it worth the effort. If you leave questions I will get back to you*

BTW.. if you spent the money it cost for these things take care of it please.
I've always ran extended size filters if available and if they fit. Why not get a bit more filtering area and therefore lower pressure drop?

OP
OP
0II392II0

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I picked up an MO-899 for my first change but haven't done it yet - comparing the sizes and checking your guys' pics, it looks like it's going to be dangerously close to the frame rail, even with the indent on the crossmember. Have you guys who've been running the larger filters noticed any contact or rubbing at all?
Everything is all good since I'm afraid to bring up but my multiple tightenings.

Sponsored

Billet Wilson

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU RHR / 2021 Ruby 392
Everything is all good since I'm afraid to bring up but my multiple tightenings.
I installed one but now Im seeing a single drop on the filter after cool down. It can sit there for a few days and it's as dry as can be but if I get it up to operating temp then let it sit a drop will form. Not enough to drop on the ground but I imagine if it sat there long enough it eventually would. Im not sure if I should tighten it a little more or if I overtightened during install. Contemplating pulling it off to replace it with another one completely.

OP
OP
0II392II0

0II392II0

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURH
I installed one but now Im seeing a single drop on the filter after cool down. It can sit there for a few days and it's as dry as can be but if I get it up to operating temp then let it sit a drop will form. Not enough to drop on the ground but I imagine if it sat there long enough it eventually would. Im not sure if I should tighten it a little more or if I overtightened during install. Contemplating pulling it off to replace it with another one completely.
I doubt you over tightened, I would give it a turn. I spoke with Dre and he had the same issue, sent me a picture of the drop he got and I thought it was a copy of my own picture at first. He gave his another twist and has been trouble free since as well.

Outrun

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392XR
Try backing it off 1/8 a turn then tightening it 1/4 turn.

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
TIL they still make engines with fully self contained oil filters. Haven’t seen one in over 10 years
Sponsored