First Oil Change Oil Report

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
With all the threads and debates on the timeframe for your fisrt oil change, thought I would upload the oil sample report from my first oil change.

Changed oil at 1783 miles, pulled a sample and sent it off to have it tested. Was surprised a little at the findings.

This was factory fill and all original filters.
Sponsored

Attachments

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
So changing the break in oil early because it’s “full of metals” is completely unnecessary and now that’s procen by science rather than going by what worked with 1980s engines. Good to know. Thanks for posting. :like:

I’ll probably send in my factory fill for analysis once it’s at the end of service life indicated by the monitor. Probably get a TBN also to have an idea how much life is still left in it even at that point.

Jondrew

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
EOAs were always a big subject for debate on the RV forums. I mean, it’s interesting and all, but is it really giving you any actionable information? If you saw something troubling in the report, what would you do? If your engine blows, they may do an EOA before any warranty repairs are approved.

OP
OP
PowerGuy

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
I didn’t do a TBN, due to the low mileage of the oil.

Sponsored

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
So changing the break in oil early because it’s “full of metals” is completely unnecessary and now that’s procen by science rather than going by what worked with 1980s engines. Good to know. Thanks for posting. :like:

I’ll probably send in my factory fill for analysis once it’s at the end of service life indicated by the monitor. Probably get a TBN also to have an idea how much life is still left in it even at that point.
Well, all of the metals were above average. I've never done engine oil analysis. What is considered high if these numbers are not?

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Well, all of the metals were above average. I've never done engine oil analysis. What is considered high if these numbers are not?
The universal averages are average numbers from all the oil analyses for that particular engine. Factory fill wear metal numbers are often somewhat higher than the average numbers. These aren’t significantly higher except for silicon which was explained in the comments.

rockadile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
@Chocolate Thunder Duh! I just reopened the report and realized I missed the whole comment section. When I first looked at it, I thought it was bit silly that they didn't really explain anything.

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
@Chocolate Thunder Duh! I just reopened the report and realized I missed the whole comment section. When I first looked at it, I thought it was bit silly that they didn't really explain anything.
Lol. Well if you’ve never sent anything in the Blackstone it’s understandable that you wouldn’t think to pay attention to that. The comments give insight as to the lab tech’s thoughts on the results.

Cntr78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU

Serious question, not being "that guy". Jeep noob, so trying to learn.
All of the metals were above average and this change was done at 1,783 miles.
That indicates to me that it was good to do the change at this point rather than wait until 5k or more.
Does this seem right or am I missing something?
Thanks!

Chocolate Thunder

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Serious question, not being "that guy". Jeep noob, so trying to learn.
All of the metals were above average and this change was done at 1,783 miles.
That indicates to me that it was good to do the change at this point rather than wait until 5k or more.
Does this seem right or am I missing something?
Thanks!
That’s a matter of opinions, which of course vary greatly. As I posted earlier, EVERY factory fill oil analysis will show elevated levels of certain metals due to the break in process. This is normal and they’re not damaging anything by being there. Note the technicians comments on the report.

I’ve stopped being the guy who tells people that they’re foolish for dumping factory fill synthetic oil at 500 or 1000 miles or wherever they feel it’s helping the longevity of their engines. Folks will do whatever helps them sleep at night and that’s OK with me.
Sponsored