Sponsored

First Oil Change: How Many Miles/Oil Preference?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@ECHO

I know that I would never go strictly by what the "oil meter" says.. No way would I do that...

I will change on a predetermined schedule.

If the "oil meter" as you call it, suggests changing sooner, I will evaluate my vehicles needs at that point in time.

Sponsored

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2-Door JL Rubicon - Black
Occupation
Retired Air Force - Currently in my Dream Job
I do agree that it wouldn't hurt anything, at all, to run them the full oil change distance on the factory fill. I just chose, for my own reasons, to change it out early, which also certainly does no harm.
Well said!! I never put on the miles so end up doing a time change

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@ECHO

I know that I would never go strictly by what the "oil meter" says.. No way would I do that...

I will change on a predetermined schedule.

If the "oil meter" as you call it, suggests changing sooner, I will evaluate my vehicles needs at that point in time.

I a not trying too convince anyone it’s gospel, I am just basing it on the info I see.. i don’t drive enough miles a year but change the oil twice

Solidaxle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2 Door Rubicon
Your first oil change is recommended when you hit 10% or less on your Oil life Meter.. the factory oil has additives to help the motor break in .. In my experience the oil meters are very accurate on JEEP brand vehicles .. also use the recommended oil on your cap 5w20 .. I have seen vehicles DTC printouts, and it registers if the wrong viscosity of oil was used .. it won’t cause a check engine light , but it does register.
Where did you get this Recommendation? This is the first I’ve heard of it , can you post a link or tell me where to find that in the owners manual.
Thank you
Your absolutely right, is it not in the manual.. I said it was recommended. Instead of saying "first" oil change I should have typed all oil changes. People waste there money changing oil every 3,000 miles, when they have a much longer span.. based on how you drive your JL .. and yes that is in the manual. I should have been clearer and said , just let the oil meter tell you when it needs changing ..

"Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km)."
So in summary , Follow the owners manual and change the oil when the light comes on.
Yes I figured that out the first day bought my jeep and read the owners manual. I am definitely done reading any of these oil change threads they’re all redundant people chime in and don’t read anything that we’ve discussed in the past.

ECHO

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So in summary , Follow the owners manual and change the oil when the light comes on.
Yes I figured that out the first day bought my jeep and read the owners manual. I am definitely done reading any of these oil change threads they’re all redundant people chime in and don’t read anything that we’ve discussed in the past.
:lipssealed: No more chiming here

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Solidaxle

Since you are "done reading any of these oil change threads" you won't hear me say that I think it is not in a JL Owner's best interests, to sit in the cab with his /her finger up their arse, waiting for the idiot reminder to say ...change one's oil.

Sure if you are an idiot and one that does not keep track of mileage, oil and filter changes, etc., and is lets say oblivious to the vehicle's needs, then it is in the best interests of the vehicle so to speak that the vehicle owner, reacts to the idiot warning.

While I think the idiot reminder is a valued addition, may be accurate and such.... it is no substitute for keeping track of mileage and doing one's maintenance by a specific schedule and or also, doing maintenance based on what the owner, lets say sees.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
The oil change indicator light is the same reason we have TPMS. People don’t check anything. They need to be reminded when to do something. I would imagine most of us on this forum are true enthusiasts. We check our oil on Saturday and wash and wax our vehicles on Sunday. But in general, a large percentage of people don’t know what to do and when to do it.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
CHIME!!!!!

I find oil and maintenance interesting, as it is another way I enjoy my Jeep. If it doesn't interest you, then follow the light and your Jeep will likely be fine. I'm keeping mine for at least a decade and probably more like two, so I sweat the details on maintenance. We all enjoy these things in different ways. I find oil and engines to be fascinating, so I'm sticking around and am sure I'll keep learning from folks here.

xtopherm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HellaYella 2019 JLUR
I a not trying too convince anyone it’s gospel, I am just basing it on the info I see.. i don’t drive enough miles a year but change the oil twice
My solution: while I am underneath working on the lift and skids, I might as well do the first oil change too!

Kevin’s Rubi

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired flight test engineer
Take this for what it’s worth but I went to the dealership to just to lot browse (some of the trade ins are pretty cool builds). While I was there I asked the Express Lube guy when I should change the oil and he pulled a clipboard out and asked me if I towed or let it idle for extended periods often. Then he said that the recommendation was 5,000 miles. The first sheet on the clipboard did have FCA at the top but I don’t know the source of the document. Then I asked about the tires and he said that the stock tires on my JL were better than the stock on the JK and should be rotated at 5,000 miles. But I’d take this with a grain of salt unless you want to head to your dealership and have them show you that document.

Just a side note; I worked with an engineer who had previously worked in the automotive industry and he told me that the “change your oil every 3,000 miles” campaign was created by the oil manufacturers when R and D and oil quality had extended oil life in order to sell more oil. Sounds reasonable to me. Especially since he didn’t wear a foil hat. Well, not every day.

Sponsored

Alpha Delta

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU
I was debating on getting Pennzoil ultra platinum but between the crazy price difference and it not being available anywhere near me (called multiple places that according to Pennzoil should carry UP), decided to stick with platinum. I doubt it will make much of a difference in our regular 3.6.

So...with Mobil 1 filters on clearance at $2 and $10 Pennzoil rebates, I’m looking at $15 for my next 2 oil changes, not bad.
Sponsored