Sponsored

First Oil Change: How Many Miles/Oil Preference?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I just changed mine today @ 2800 +/- miles. Was by far the easiest oil change I’ve done on a vehicle. Oil filter in top abd an even 5qt fill.
The JL 3.6 L, 5 quarts of oil only thing, brought me great joy when I did the first and second oil change on my JL. I'm sure it will bring me the same joy when I do oil change three and all those thereafter.
Sponsored

WrongWheelDrive

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon, Z06 Corvette, Fiesta ST, Polaris Slingshot
The JL 3.6 L, 5 quarts of oil only thing, brought me great joy when I did the first and second oil change on my JL. I'm sure it will bring me the same joy when I do oil change three and all those thereafter.
Sooooo convenient not having open jugs of oil left after.

TheWingman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Red JLUR
Agree with others here. Changing oil early on the first change may not be necessary, but there's really no quantifiable way to measure longevity of engine life vs. first oil change interval. So do what you feel is right. The dealer did mine at 3k and overfilled it, so I did it myself at 7k. Always did it myself on other vehicles, also. It's easy and gives you a since of accomplishment, and more importantly an understanding of your vehicle, which is what you're after. Do the tire rotation on your own while you're at it!

Wrangles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 3.6 6sp Billet
I plan on just Mopar oil filter at 2,500
Then
Filter & Oil change at 5,000, along with 5 tire rotation
Then same as directly above every 5,000

Penzoil Platinum 0w20 (get your $10 5qt rebate from Penzoil as well)

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Also, just an FYI, I see 0w20 used oil analyses that are consistently low on wear metals, so the idea that a 0w20 can't protect well is just not true. I'll be posting UOA's every time I change my oil. The first two, which were during break-in, were very good. The next, with Mobil 1 0w20 Annual Protection, should be even better, since it will be the 3rd change and will occur with the Jeep at nearly 10k miles. Besides, the 3.6 is known to be pretty easy on motor oil.
I didn't say 0W20 couldn't protect well. I just said it won't protect as well as a higher viscosity oil, particularly in hot climates, and this has been documented via oil analysis testing across multiple brands of new vehicles.

I agree that the 3.6 is easy on oil. Doesn't even burn any. Very good engine.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
snip:
Penzoil Platinum 0w20 (get your $10 5qt rebate from Penzoil as well)
@Wrangles

I have posted on the forum often, in regard to the Pennzoil rebate. Actually just did another rebate a week ago before the rebate was no longer being offered.

Well, no longer offered if you go by this on the rebate form at the Pennzoil website: Offer period is July 1, 2018 through September 30, 2018.

Hopefully, Pennzoil will renew this rebate as they have renewed it in the past.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
About that oil filter housing cover.........

When you unscrew the one on your JL, have a gallon size zip lock bag with you and a rag. Unscrew the oil filter housing cover that will have the oil filter attached to it and lift it straight up, just s tad above where you unscrewed it from, and then drop in in the zip lock bag. You can now easily remove the cover from the oil filter cartridge and then seal up the zip lock bag for clean disposal of same.

IMPORTANT: Look at the black oil filter cover very closely. Again, look very closely.... note where the removable black "o-ring" is residing.
LOOK to see exactly which of the many groves it is sitting in. IF you are forgetful, take a smart phone pic of it.

You will be removing this o-ring and replacing it with a new o-ring. (find new o-ring that comes in the box with your new oil filter) You want to put the new o-ring in the correct groove when you put the new o-ring on the oil filter cover.

Always. moisten the new o-ring with a little bit of oil before you put it on the oil filter cover.

When you go to reinstall, the oil filter cover, with the oil filter hooked on to it, always screw the oil filter cover in with your fingers before you use a wrench on it. Be careful not to cross thread. When wrenching, do not over tighten.

Note: IF you ever want to just change the oil filter itself, you do not have to drain the motor oil from the oil pan. Just turn off the JL, let it sit for say a couple of minutes and then you can just remove the oil filter cover and change your oil filter. Your old oil filter will had a little bit of oil on it so have that zip lock bag handy. 8-) No need to add oil to your JL as that little bit of oil lost that left with the old filter is a tiny amount.

As noted, its would be prudent to change the oil the first time in the vicinity of 1500 to 2000 miles. This will remove any metal filings which result from a new engine even thought they are run quite a while before going into a new vehicle. Jeep I believe (owner's manual) recommends 0 to 20 weight oil with specific ratings / designation. The 0 weight requirement means synthetic. Engine's manufactured today are built to closer tolerances, therefore the need for 0 weight (synthetic) have become part of the recommendation. I would follow the the manufacture's recommendation to not void any warranties. I believe that Jeep specifies oil changes every 4000 miles in their owner's manual.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
I was staring at 7,500 miles odometer reading and 30% oil life on the vehicle data readout. Being my first oil change, I couldn't push it to 10K in good conscience but that's possibly just me being superstitious. As for any metal filings and manufacturing debris, my assumption is this will be caught in the filter unless it's so particulate that it can pass through the filter media. Am I missing anything there?

I asked to see the oil after extraction. I'm not a chemist and didn't run any lab tests but it looked pretty decent actually, which was a little shocking. I feel better about changing the oil at 7.5K but then again I purchased the lifetime warranty so my responsibility is just maintaining the service interval.

As to weight, I can't see any reason to go against manufacturer specifications. I'd like to see data provided before proclaiming higher viscosity oils are protecting better than 0W. @WXman Please post some sources and post your test results. I have done some small amount of reasearch and can't seem to locate conclusive evidence that 5W oil reduces gas mileage. This is leading me to conclude that the manufacturer would have another justification for 0W viscosity. What is your mileage on 5W vs 0W? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

Tampasport

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport bright white
I'm just over 3,000 miles but about to embark on a move from FL to TX. Do you recommend I do my jeep wave first oil change here at my local dealership before the 1300 mile drive, or wait until after ?? Thanks in advance for the advice.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tampasport

Really does not matter. You will still be under 5,000 miles when you get to your Texas destination.

Do look at the total picture though. Will you have your hands full when you get to Texas and have little time to go to a dealership in the first few weeks of your getting there. School, new job, etc.. Do you have friends there that you can rely on the day the JL is in the shop and you need a ride. Do you know a good dealer there or do you need time to find a good one there... you know your dealer here and...

Anyway, mileage wise there is no reason to get it done now, at 3,000 miles versus getting it done at under 5,000 miles... I'd do what feels right for you in relation to stuff I mentioned earlier.

Tampasport

First Name
Judy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler jl sport bright white
@Rhinebeck01 thank you for the info and life advice! :) I was more concerned about the long drive and the impact on the oil life/engine from it, but if you say it doesn't really make that big of a difference, I can definitely take the rest of the situation into consideration with my decision. Have i mentioned how much i love this Jeep community and forum? I love this jeep community and forum. :like:

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
I didn't say 0W20 couldn't protect well. I just said it won't protect as well as a higher viscosity oil, particularly in hot climates, and this has been documented via oil analysis testing across multiple brands of new vehicles.
Sources, please? If you can't cite 'em, you're just blowing smoke again.

Fact is, you'd be hard pressed to find a single example of an oil-related engine failure, period, assuming proper maintenance and no gross owner abuse.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Sources, please? If you can't cite 'em, you're just blowing smoke again.

Fact is, you'd be hard pressed to find a single example of an oil-related engine failure, period, assuming proper maintenance and no gross owner abuse.
I know oil companies have worked hard to control wear with the thinner oils. I'm no scientist, but consider this: If most engine wear occurs at startup, as many oil companies claim, then wouldn't a thinner oil that flows more quickly to critical engine parts reduce wear? Also, thin oils may have other advantages. For example, one of the primary functions of motor oil is to help keep the engine cool. A thinner viscosity going through an oil cooler, which I believe is standard on the JL (I know at least my Rubicon has one), will transfer more heat than a thicker oil.

I'm still not claiming that thinner oils allow for less wear. I'm not even claiming they are as good. I honestly don't know. However, I do know that people who are keeping their 3.6 powered vehicles a long time, are properly maintaining them, and are using high quality oil are commonly getting their Pentastars past 300,000 miles on 5w20. 0w20 is barely different, according to the product data sheets I've seen.

I run my 3.6 pretty hard, because it is rev-happy and just too fun to take through the gears. It seems to run beautifully on the 0w20 I've been feeding it, which happens to be Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20. I think it would be just as happy on Pennzoil, Valvoline, Castrol, Havoline, Amsoil, Quaker State, or even Wal Mart Supertech 0w20. (Don't knock that oil. It is made by Warren and it is actually very good.) I think it would run equally well on semi-synthetic Pennzoil Gold 0w20, too. In fact, I firmly believe that is the factory fill, which looked good in a UOA I did on it after 2000 miles.
Sponsored