Martial Fartist

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m at around 1600 miles in my 2021 jlru. I’m getting ready to take a trip from Tampa to Kentucky in a few weeks.

This would be my first oil change.

Should I change my oil and rotate before hitting the road or just rack up the miles and wait until I’m back.

I typically like to do this before a trip but this being it’s first oil change I didn’t know if I should approach my thought process differently.

Thank you.
Sponsored

TwoDoorDylan

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sting Gray Rubicon; 2001 Ext Cab Tacoma
You will get a lot of differing opinions on when to do your first oil change. I personally like do the first oil change very early. If I were in your situation, I would definitely go ahead and change the oil now. I enjoy wrenching on the Jeep (do all of the maintainence myself) and personally would enjoy the peace of mind knowing there is clean and fresh oil circulating as I log the roadtrip miles.

As far as the tire rotations, if doing the work myself, I would hold off until after the trip. Not sure how many miles you're planning but I don't usually rotate until 3k+.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If you are going to have the dealer change the oil and rotate the tires, do it with enough time before your trip in case you need to go back to the dealer to have them rectify things.

You will be amazed at how easily Jeep dealers screw things up.

Good luck.

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Software Engineer
There isn't really a correct answer here, but I'd go ahead and do the first oil change early. I've always done that with my cars to get any kind of break-in contaminants out of the system. Probably not as necessary with modern engines but it can't hurt.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with aldo about doing it with time to spare, so if something is wrong, it is identified while your still near home, and not half way to Kentucky.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Go ahead and change the oil now. It's very easy to do yourself. I rotate every other oil change or somewhere around 10k miles. I never rebalance unless there is a balance issue.

I do my own oil and rotations. It's quicker and easier than driving to the dealer, then waiting, then checking on their work and finally driving home.