First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
A few weeks ago I purchased my second Jeep but first Wrangler. The first Jeep was an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that while beautiful, wasn't much good stock crawling around on rocks. The Rubicon on the other hand feels very much at home on and off the road, even with this newbie behind the wheel. There is something special about getting to experience a made-for-purpose vehicle doing what it was designed to do. For me that has always been done on a race track but I've traded that in for something my whole family can enjoy. My goal for this first outing was to find some easy 4x4 trails in the Tahuya State Forrest, Belfair WA. and have some safe newbie appropriate fun with my toy boys. I mostly accomplished that goal :)

Since this was a family trip, I'll start out with me and my co-pilots on the ferry from West Seattle Southworth:
IMG_1467.jpg

After getting lost multiple times (don't use alltrails to get to this park, it doesn't know where the 4x4 park is) we finally found our way to the 4x4 entrance. I was expecting a nice leisurely start and we would skip the really exciting stuff...this was my first time. Then I was greeted by this:

IMG_1471.jpg

Maybe to you this looks totally reasonable but it looked like they closed the trail to me! I was ready to pack it up until my son said "Dad, you've got this". Lockers on, sway bar disconnected (no idea if I needed either) and then we decided to go for it. There were other people there if things got ugly and this was right at the start so I took a chance.

The celebration photo after was really so I could start breathing again:

IMG_1478.jpg

Things opened up after that and there were a number of different trails to go explore, all from a big central hub:

IMG_1480.jpg

This was steeper than it looks in the photo but I followed a side by side up it and it was easier than I expected. The Jeep was doing so much of the work and making up for my lack of experience:

IMG_1483.jpg

My youngest was pretty happy that we made it up and he wanted to get out and take a closer look:

IMG_1489.jpg

What goes up, must eventually come down:

IMG_1508.jpg

It doesn't look very scary on the video but damn this one had me puckering up:

Stopping to check these out half way down due to the tight/blind corner (and my total lack of skill):

IMG_1491.jpg

Stopping for a much needed break and to enjoy this Jeep in natural habitat:

IMG_1495.jpg

Oh hell no, not with my stock setup. Maybe someone with more experience could find a safe way up but we looked left and turned right:

IMG_1498.jpg

It turned out that right turn had a really tight hill with some sharp banked turns and even sharper tree stumps ready to punish any slide mistake:

Uphill -

These folks were nice enough to show me the "easy" way out because after a full day, I just didn't have the stomach to tempt fate again at the rock garden:

IMG_1513.jpg

Nice and dirty but the white hides dirt and dust so well!

IMG_1522.jpg

I will be back to this playground...maybe with a lift and bigger tires ready to take on that huge rock wall! And recovery gear. And a winch. And friends to help.

IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
jjonesx86

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
Admins - My apologies, I had intended to post this in the pics and videos forum but I had to start over after a crash and must have just posted to General. Feel free to move it if possible.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
A few weeks ago I purchased my second Jeep but first Wrangler. The first Jeep was an 89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer that while beautiful, wasn't much good stock crawling around on rocks. The Rubicon on the other hand feels very much at home on and off the road, even with this newbie behind the wheel. There is something special about getting to experience a made-for-purpose vehicle doing what it was designed to do. For me that has always been done on a race track but I've traded that in for something my whole family can enjoy. My goal for this first outing was to find some easy 4x4 trails in the Tahuya State Forrest, Belfair WA. and have some safe newbie appropriate fun with my toy boys. I mostly accomplished that goal :)

Since this was a family trip, I'll start out with me and my co-pilots on the ferry from West Seattle Southworth:
IMG_1467.jpg

After getting lost multiple times (don't use alltrails to get to this park, it doesn't know where the 4x4 park is) we finally found our way to the 4x4 entrance. I was expecting a nice leisurely start and we would skip the really exciting stuff...this was my first time. Then I was greeted by this:

IMG_1471.jpg

Maybe to you this looks totally reasonable but it looked like they closed the trail to me! I was ready to pack it up until my son said "Dad, you've got this". Lockers on, sway bar disconnected (no idea if I needed either) and then we decided to go for it. There were other people there if things got ugly and this was right at the start so I took a chance.

IMG_1478.jpg

Things opened up after that and there were a number of different trails to go explore, all from a big central hub:

IMG_1480.jpg

This was steeper than it looks in the photo but I followed a side by side up it and it was easier than I expected. The Jeep was doing so much of the work and making up for my lack of experience:

IMG_1483.jpg

My youngest was pretty happy that we made it up and he wanted to get out and take a closer look:

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

Stopping to check these out half way down due to the tight/blind corner (and my total lack of skill):

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

Oh hell no, not with my stock setup. Maybe someone with more experience could find a safe way up but we looked left and turned right:

IMG_1498.jpg

It turned out that right turn had a really tight hill with some sharp banked turns and even sharper tree stumps ready to punish any slide mistake:

Uphill -

These folks were nice enough to show me the "easy" way out because after a full day, I just didn't have the stomach to tempt fate again at the rock garden:

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

I will be back to this playground...maybe with a lift and bigger tires ready to take on that huge rock wall! And recovery gear. And a winch. And friends to help.

IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg
Looks like you had a blast with your boys and your Jeep! That right there is what it is all about! Thanks for sharing!

BlackRook

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! JLUR
Occupation
SCIENCE!
Excellent write up, looks like it was a great trip! Congrats, and thanks!

Optica8

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS
I've had some good times there. You'll have to head back after it rains some, there is plenty of mud to be found. Super fun to do donuts in the mud (except the washing off part later, there are a million nooks and crannies that hold mud).

Sponsored

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
That’s some great family time right there. You won’t forget the memories. Well done :rock:

OP
OP
jjonesx86

jjonesx86

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Gates Foundation
Thanks everyone, it was a great experience for our first time out. Now we are planning the next weekend getaway to keep the fun going!

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

IMG_1467.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1483.jpg

IMG_1489.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1495.jpg

IMG_1498.jpg

Uphill -

IMG_1513.jpg

IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1515.jpg
IMG_1523.jpg

IMG_1501.jpg
Thanks for sharing! Looks like you and your boys had a great time.