Sponsored

First mods on my 2021 JLUR - What should they be?

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
So I have sold off most if my Tacoma parts and I have a nice chunk of $$$ for some mods.

Im not lifting it at this point in time. Maybe in the future, but for now, it’s not happening. I won’t lift this one without getting front and rear, upper and lower control arms and really do it right.

I drive this pretty hard on the weekends. I’m not beating the shit out if it, but I do drive it. The wheels get stuffed to the max, and I have plenty of challenging trails nearby.
I really want 35’s, but I feel I should probably wait until I lift it. I feel the skids will be worth the most as it’s kind of like insurance.

***Edited to add: I have lots of recovery gear. I also have a Viair compressor and plenty of gadgets for airing up and down.

If anyone has any suggestions in the best things to upgrade or better suggestions on what should be my first mods, I’m all ears.

The list of what I’m looking at are:

Full skid setup

35’s on stock wheels with no lift and pray they don’t rub

A pair of Squadron Pro, or LP4 lights.

JTops freedom top mesh piece for when the tops come off.

Tazer
Sponsored

Last edited:

brewski

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-diesel
Rock sliders
I like to have a winch early
Smart Stop Start if you have ESS
Recovery gear if you don’t have that

factory skids are pretty good, and way down the totem pole for me

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

diff skids and a belly pan. the jeep is so capable stock its not even funny but my stock skids got beat to crap with the poor break over angle and big rocks. i have the EVO belly skids and love them. have yet to dent them at all. you could always do the fender chop with the stock fenders and a set of inner liners. 35's should be fine at that point. just my 2 cents... and maybe a set of good sliders

Cuyose

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Data Analyst
Recovery gear and winch. Rock Sliders, belly pans, etc. are all fine and good. But if you are running in areas where those are going to come into play, you are pretty likely to run into situations where you are may get high centered or hung up. It could mean the difference between a 30 minute intermission vs. a 20 mile walk.

I personally would be holding off on trails where I would be worried about needing more clearance, break over angles, or catching the bottom before I had a way to free myself if needed. Unless you always go with someone with recovery gear. All the lights, skid plates, or cool tops in the world aren't going to get you back onto the trail if needed.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Don’t forget an angry grille. It is proved to make deer, raccoons, squirrels and lesser drivers get out of the way. :LOL:

Sponsored

Richard Saucier

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Beancooker, Recognize your avatar from another forum. LOL My wife bought a 2020JL six months ago. She does moderate offroading in NH. First thing she did was to buy 35" tires to replace the stock tires. She bought Nitto tires. Next, she purchased a different front bumper and a Warn winch. Next will be a 2" lift kit. Have not seen a need yet for diff covers, but I'm sure, in the Spring, we'll be on a trail and decide it's needed. This is her daily driver!

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Thank you all for the replies.
As far as recovery gear, I’m well stocked.
A winch may be a good plan. That will require me to fab a bumper though. I would want the winch to be removable.
The skids/bellypan are probably pretty high on the list. Diff skids are right up there as well. There are a lot of rocks are a lot of rocks around here.

Richard, I think I recognize you. Big Akita?

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
Steering stabilizer relocation and engine skid would be my 1 and 2. Those are the only 2 things we've damaged in 2 years, including a moab trip, lots of high Sierra trails, and big rocks in Big bear. Smashed the steering stabilizer and put a slight dent in the oil pan. The tazer is a no brainer first mod for everything from ess control to disconnecting the sway bar at speed in 2wd in the desert to locker use in 4 hi.

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Don’t forget an angry grille. It is proved to make deer, raccoons, squirrels and lesser drivers get out of the way. :LOL:
Do they speak English in What? English, do you speak it?

The day I add the quintessential mall crawler grill to my Jeep, is the same day I turn in my man card, and buy a Prius, a kilt, and mustache wax. Then I can sit around a table with my new found friends, chatting about saving the environment by closing OHV trails, the IBU’s of our pale ales, the struggle of the nomadic people that melt icebergs into a bottle to give me the purest drinking water on the planet, and what duvet I plan on buying on my next trip to IKEA, all while I sit and twist my mustache.

Jeep Wrangler JL First mods on my 2021 JLUR - What should they be? 49053AAB-3F7A-412D-B10A-D1E0F7047B10

Sponsored

Richard Saucier

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Thank you all for the replies.
As far as recovery gear, I’m well stocked.
A winch may be a good plan. That will require me to fab a bumper though. I would want the winch to be removable.
The skids/bellypan are probably pretty high on the list. Diff skids are right up there as well. There are a lot of rocks are a lot of rocks around here.

Richard, I think I recognize you. Big Akita?
Nope! Odin!!!

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
The day I add the quintessential mall crawler grill to my Jeep, is the same day I turn in my man card, and buy a Prius, a kilt, and mustache wax.
Good sir, while I agree with your sentiments on the man card, the Prius and mustache wax, you simply cannot include the kilt in that same statement.

Real men wear kilts!
Jeep Wrangler JL First mods on my 2021 JLUR - What should they be? 1614721076824

Also
Jeep Wrangler JL First mods on my 2021 JLUR - What should they be? 1614721148814

The same could be said for plaid shorts....

But I digress, OP, a couple of cheap and easy ones to get you started...

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
@Will_Jeep

I lived in Washington State for far too long. The amount of IPA drinking, bearded hipsters rocking kilts would have made you laugh. Nothing says “real man” like a kilt, flip flops and a man bun.
Now if you’re rocking a kilt the traditional way, I would never laugh.

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Light bars, always moar light bars...
We all know they increase your ground clearance by 10 inches for each installed..

OP
OP
Beancooker

Beancooker

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
General Manager
Well the first thing I did was 35’s. I would like to do some fender liners next. Depends on what the Minister of Finance (wife) decides. It’ll probably be stock on 35’s for a long time.
Sponsored