Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Could be that KBB underestimates resale value and refines their estimates over time. We are almost at 36 months for the 2014 model but these are just projections for model years after that.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Could be people are over-estimating the resale value of a late model JK despite the arrival of the JL.

If anyone's got another respected metric supporting that claim, feel free to post it.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
KBB Snapshots, as you can see they drop year over year since 2014 despite still being near the top of the list of all vehicles (even the 2015 ranks higher, but with a lower resale rate);
I can understand KBB lowering those numbers across the board in anticipation for the JL, but the newer models having a lower resale value makes absolutely no sense. The '15 finally introduced a decent audio system and '16 and '17 added more appearance package Kool-Aid that people are still drinking up. Those KBB snapshots are nifty, but those numbers are not accurate here in Colorado.

Anyway, my point is that regardless of the JL, you can scoop up a JK, keep it for a while, let the JL come out, let Jeep iron out the bugs (hopefully sooner than later), sell or trade, and you aren't going to take massive hit, even if you drop a ton of miles on it. There are many vehicles that eat resale hard when a refresh comes out, but the JK won't be one of them.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Again, I'd like to see some solid data on that.

The guess that the JL isn't going to affect the resale of the JKs isn't supported by previous generations, the Pentastar + W5A580 update in 2012 dropped the value of 2011 and earlier models. The same is likely to happen with the addition of the ZF-8 speed and Pentastar refresh, let alone diesel and JTs. There may be a glut of JKs out there if those two arrive sooner rather than later.

Had the JL been a significant departure from the JK style or capability wise then maybe there'd be more interesting in holding on to the classic instead of the new pretender to the throne, but that they did a pretty good job in staying true to the Wrangler has removed that differentiator.

Like I said, the JK is still a solid resale candidate, but is not as much so as it used to be for sure, and if that is a buying consideration, then research it more than " the prices in my area... "

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Like I said, the JK is still a solid resale candidate
Exactly. My opinion - resale should not even be a consideration on which Jeep to buy. The resale is always good. As good/better/worse than year before is no big deal.

Heck. I got about 50% of what I originally paid for my 8 year-old YJ with 95,000 miles on it when TJs had been out for 5 years. And people hated the YJ. And in hindsight I probably got screwed. It's just the way it is with Jeeps.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
IMHO, the JK's will hold for their values for a good while after the JL's start to roll off their line. That's because it will take a few years for the aftermarket people to get the number of JL mods they offer equal to the current number of JK mods.

Yes, there are some people who will prefer a new '18 JL over a '17 JK, just like there has always been those who wanted (as an example) a new '15 JK over a '14 JK.

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
Here is a clearer shot of the lower dash portion, which definitely appears to be more tucked and the glove box slants away compared to the JK.

jl-wrangler-interior.jpg
Cool, thanks for posting that additional lower dash photo.

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
IMHO, the JK's will hold for their values for a good while after the JL's start to roll off their line. That's because it will take a few years for the aftermarket people to get the number of JL mods they offer equal to the current number of JK mods.

Yes, there are some people who will prefer a new '18 JL over a '17 JK, just like there has always been those who wanted (as an example) a new '15 JK over a '14 JK.
I think JK's will hold their value for a while just because I think JL will be marked up by dealers based on the supply-demand being heavily in their favor. I'm not sure the aftermarket will have much effect on resale. It'll only be a matter of months before JL owners will have more than enough mods to choose from and we will probably see a good deal of parts available right away, maybe even shown off at SEMA if they reveal it at or before the event.

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
So... is the consensus here that the base dash and center stack will be the same materials but in black and some silver/chrome?

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cluster update:
7" display in the cluster for Sahara & Rubicon; 3.5" for Sport.
Arggh !!

I was hoping for the initially expected/suspected 5/7/8 option. Removing the 8" means slightly smaller GPS and Rear Cam views/details.

Also currently the 7" has less features than the 8" in their top UC forms, hopefully they will offer an updated 7" model that changes that imbalance.

well, I guess it coulda been worse, we coulda been stuck with the 3" option in the RAM, though not sure if that woulda met the rear cam requirements for 2018s.

oubbascooba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F-150
Arggh !!

I was hoping for the initially expected/suspected 5/7/8 option. Removing the 8" means slightly smaller GPS and Rear Cam views/details.

Also currently the 7" has less features than the 8" in their top UC forms, hopefully they will offer an updated 7" model that changes that imbalance.

well, I guess it coulda been worse, we coulda been stuck with the 3" option in the RAM, though not sure if that woulda met the rear cam requirements for 2018s.
I'd take his response with a grain of salt. No picture, low posts, no location information, and basically a anon profile.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd take his response with a grain of salt. No picture, low posts, no location information, and basically a anon profile.
My post count is higher, my history fairly well detailed, and I'd give Milous way Way WAY more weight than me on pretty much anything to do with 'newly known' details of upcoming Wranglers. :like:
I'll handle the speculation and theory, he takes care of the insider info. :idea:
(except around CES, then I might get a jump on him from the Mopar/UC/QNX/Mobis/Google boyz for a bit.)

The weight of his words and their historical accuracy mean more to me than him spending time to fill in boxes when creating a profile.
Also helps that I've interacted with him on many forums previously, so he's far from Anonymous to some of us. :bandit:

Educate yourself by checking out that user name on Google.... especially the 20xx model year Wrangler Info threads out there, especially from a certain website in particular.

Once you've done that, then you'll understand my reaction.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still, there's hope that these are the 'standard' configs and the 8 or even 9" are options (even if post purchase one), I'm just concerned that the bezel will limit/negate those possibilities.

Still wish we could get the 12" Pursuit and 14" Maserati options shoe-horned in there for nice big GPS trail map views, terrain cam(s), and the UC follow-me feature.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
Arggh !!

His post clearly says "cluster." As in gauge cluster. Not infotainment display..
Sponsored