Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

SamJ

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLUR- 6 Speed
Are we looking at buttons for the auto dimming mirror or possibly something else??

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 9.41.07 AM.png
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Are we looking at buttons for the auto dimming mirror or possibly something else??

Screen Shot 2017-05-12 at 9.41.07 AM.png
Hmmmm. That sure looks like it could be a camera facing forward. And I wonder if that's the promised CB connection somehow...

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Has anyone found the power seat buttons? :like:

Hay, back on my XJ, even the passenger seat had 6-way power. BTW, its not the power I like, but rather the 6-way adjustment that stays put.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I think it is AXLE LOCK
Maybe Switch Axle Lock On / Off
Or it may a speed control or select terrain through Multi-Information!

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}
I suppose if we could read the text below the switch we would know for sure.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
More plastic trim pieces means more rattles. :(

Also don't see a convenient place to mount the clip to hold the mic for a CB/Ham radio.
it maybe available

Sponsored

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The way the air vents spill into the 8.4 trim looks like the headlights flowing into the grill. It makes the top of the center stack look like the front of a Jeep, I dig it.
Nice catch. All someone has to do is insert a front grilles image as the screen background and you have the front end of a Wrangler :)

JBlackoutK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
Aside from the chrome accents, I don't see how it is much different than the upper trim JK's interior. It's not like it has a full leather dash. It looks like softer plastics are used which in my experience is actually easier to clean and traps less dirt than the hard pebbled plastic variety. There is a downside in that it will likely show more scratches and imperfections but if the question is how easy is it to clean I don't think it will be worse. Also added benefit of less rubbing and creaking everywhere.

The buttons should be as easy/difficult to clean as they have always been. Yes the screen is bigger and any electronics are at risk when you add moisture in the mix. The JK is the same. The screen is not marine rated so if you want it to be fully waterproof you better do so yourself.

The steering wheel clock spring being damaged from water has been the big risk on the JK and I am sure that's not changing with the JL.

My point is, just because it looks nicer doesn't mean it will be harder to clean or worse for wear necessarily.
That red dashboard looks almost like leather it's so smooth. Like you said it will show a lot more dirt, dust, and wear & tear. Any interior that is more refined/ polished is not going to hold up as well.Softer plastics and leather bend and crack more easily and don't hold up as well to water or sun damage. It's a nice, modern upgrade but I just hope Jeep has accounted for this in the JL interior.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Looks very similar to the Toyota Tacoma...especially near the HVAC controls area.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Looks very similar to the Toyota Tacoma...especially near the HVAC controls area.
See previous page, Toyota took those queues from Jeep and others who had those controls before Toyota put them in the Tundra, then the Tacoma.

Tuttle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
That red dashboard looks almost like leather it's so smooth. Like you said it will show a lot more dirt, dust, and wear & tear. Any interior that is more refined/ polished is not going to hold up as well.Softer plastics and leather bend and crack more easily and don't hold up as well to water or sun damage. It's a nice, modern upgrade but I just hope Jeep has accounted for this in the JL interior.
I don't think you can make that statement by just looking at an image. None of us have even sat in this interior or felt the materials. If I had to guess I would guess the plastics have been upgraded and are harder and more resilient than ever. I'd be surprised if they downgraded the materials used.

Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
I'm kinda bummed to see no buttons for heated & cooled seats. No seriously! Don't! No - STOP THROWING THINGS!

Sheesh ;-)

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Where is the sPOD switch bank supposed to go?
Personally, I like to buy as bare bones a model as possible, since the fun comes from adding as much aftermarket stuff as possible. This doesn't look as user friendly. I appear to be in the minority but...... I don't really like it.
Well, depending how big they're fused, you can probably get a lot done with the pre-wired Aux switches. Even if they're undersized, you can always use one to drive a relay and it'll still be less work than an aftermarket switch pod.

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Also returning are the four power window switches located in the center stack which further confirms the JL/JLU will have removable doors as we expected.
I have never never never understood this. How does it make any more sense to have the switches in the dash than in the door? When the doors are in my garage I don't need the switches!

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Looks like some big improvements , I like the Dash Cam , larger windshield for better visibility, a Real "Roll Cage", many many things to like. I do hope the Base or Entry Level has some of the goodies, Dash Cam ! Better manual transmission !
Then, will the Base be affordable ? By that, mid 20s . My base with hard top, air, 3:73s was $26, 000+- MSRP .
I think it's well thought out, it will be the leader for its 10 year production run .
Excitement !

OHldman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Ford Bronco, 2013 Ford Flex, Former JK owner
I know there are guys that like to plastidip the circular trim around the air vents on the JK but I've never been a fan. Always thought it looked cheesy except in black when you can't really see them. I'm glad the rings are gone but I wonder if you can still pop out each of the vents separately without removing the entire dash (or parts of it first)? What do you guys think?

If so, the 2 passenger side vents are connected by one panel and would need to be fully removed to get at either of them.

Just thinking ahead about real life use. I.e. you go mudding and those vents collect dirt/dust and it pukes it back into your face when you turn on the AC lol not fun.
Sponsored