Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

We are excited to show you the very first look at the production interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL in all of its glory!

This pre-production 2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon was caught near Auburn Hills showing the new interior dashboard layout, large infotainment screen, new trim and materials and buttons/switchgear which tell us about all-new safety, convenience and technology features we’ll be seeing on the JL/JLU.

* Click on images for larger versions *

LAYOUT / TRIM / MATERIALS

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-1.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-6.jpg

• The new dashboard is attractive, clean and modern.
  • Features a symmetrical look with the four circular air vents lined up and evenly spaced.
  • A central dash piece runs the entire length providing a cohesive area which encompasses the air vents, Uconnect screen and gauges.
  • Passenger grab bar is more naturally integrated into the dashboard and no longer features the “Jeep — Since 1941” lettering.
  • Gauges are now housed in their own pods which match the style of the air vents.
  • There is no ignition switch as the JL Wrangler features push button start.
  • Significant improvement in quality of materials, finish and trim.
  • Dashboard panel receives what appears to be a smooth plastic finish in dark red/burgundy.
  • A thin silver trim/bezel surrounds each of the air vents and the button clusters.
  • New, more concave steering wheel also gets silver trim surrounding each of the stalks on the 3, 6 and 9 positions.
  • As this is likely a fully optioned Rubicon, it remains to be seen what the base interior materials/trim will look like.

INFOTAINMENT

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-2.jpg

• The JL/JLU Wrangler will feature the current 4th generation Uconnect system with three available screen sizes - 5-inch, 7-inch and 8.4 inches.
  • All will be touchscreen and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be included.
  • The 8.4 inch screen (seen above) will come with the new Off-Road Pages feature (recently introduced in the 2017 Grand Cherokee).
  • The Off-Road Pages will provide useful info regarding the JL Wrangler’s off-road systems, including wheel articulation, transfer case status, pitch and roll, transmission temperature, suspension, and monitor the basic essentials like oil and coolant temperatures, oil pressure and battery voltage.
  • Although the screen can be controlled by touch, it also comes with physical dials — one controls power and volume, and the other controls menu selection, tuning and zooming in/out during navigation.
  • For more info on Uconnect functions and a brief demo of Off-Road Pages, see our Uconnect screens thread.

BUTTONS / NEW FEATURES

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-4.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-5.jpg

Lots of new buttons and features can be gleaned The good news is despite the larger touchscreens and more advanced infotainment system, the JL will retain physical buttons to control climate, radio/stereo and other safety, convenience and performance features such as traction control, parking sensor and front sway bar disconnect.

Also returning are the four power window switches located in the center stack which further confirms the JL/JLU will have removable doors as we expected.

The new buttons confirm several new features that are a first for the Jeep Wrangler, including:

ROOF / OVERHEAD CONSOLE

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior-Rubicon-7.jpg

• A closer look above the interior windshield shows a large overhead console which has two sets of what appear to be microphone holes, perhaps for the on board Bluetooth.
  • Above it is a long button or lever of unknown purpose.
  • The driver’s sunvisor shows built-in HomeLink garage door opener.
  • A portion of the roof is visible which gives us a peek at the manual release lever and bolt for the new hardtop which compared to the JK, appears to open/close just above the folded-up visor, indicating that when the roof is removed there may be a larger “ledge” between the windshield and the driver.
  • Above the A-pillar grab handles is a hinge that may be showing where the windshield detachment point is going to be.
  • Rearview Mirror has a thick stalk that mounts to the roof/overhead console.
  • The mirror's stalk has what may be a power switch for the dimming rear view mirror (which does not have any button on it like the current JK Wrangler).

EXTERIOR

2018-Jeep Wrangler.jpg

• The exterior of this preproduction JLU Rubicon, while remaining in near-full camouflage, does give up one more interior feature not previously seen — rear grab bars mounted on the B-pillar.

OVERVIEW

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-Interior.jpg

• We obtained this image which shows the overall layout of the JL/JLU interior.
  • The image provides a clearer look at the dashboard and gauges on the driver's side along with the new interior door handle design, shifter, etc.
Sponsored

Last edited:

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
I LOVE IT. :involve:

Thought that red center part was leather at first look. This is a nice modern upgrade!

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
Well done Jeep well done :like: Nice to see transfer case gear shifter still in place and damn is that a big screen.

Work

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Willys Wheeler Granite Crystal
Looks great!!

So it looks like it's safe to say white, red, and now lime green are probably going to be year one colors.

Sponsored

Eugene the Jeep

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in black
Wow!! Love the new interior, it's like night and day with the JK now. I wonder if the red dashboard is color matched with the exterior paint and wonder if it'll be a stand alone option.

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Nice! More upgraded than I was expecting. I noticed you have a reserved post, are we expecting more?!

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Nice! More upgraded than I was expecting. I noticed you have a reserved post, are we expecting more?!
Just added some comparison images between the JL and JK interiors.

Sponsored

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Also returning are the four power window switches located in the center stack which further confirms the JL/JLU will have removable doors as we expected.
:) Good to know that we will still be able to open and close the side windows, even with the doors are removed. :whew:

BTW, glad there is a physical button for the steering wheel heater. I hate it on my kid's Charger, when I am driving and the steering wheel starts to glow red, and I have to frantically search for the steering wheel heater icon buried somewhere on one of the infotament screens.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Nice sighting!

Remind anyone a bit of the YJ interior with all those circular shapes lined up across the dash?

0804or_07_z+1991_jeep_yj_wrangler_project_old_school+interior_view_dash_console.jpg

Shaddrach

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK Freedom Edition, Avalanche LTZ
i can appreciate the heated steering wheel and aux switches. Otherwise, looks like a Mini Coopers dash to me.

tableau_de_bord_bmw_mini_cabriolet_R52_dashboard_.jpg

nh_jku_08

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X
Is the Lime Green jeep in the distance a New one as well ?
Sponsored