Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You mean roof latch right?
Yep, was a wuick reply after coming out from morning meeting and seeing this finally up. Yeah the freedom top clip.

Agreed, it looks like there is going to be a pretty large overhang that will extend from the windshield and curve onto the edge of the roof. we can't see how far the roof panel actually extends forward besides the clue given by the roof latch but just eye balling it looks at least 6 inches, maybe more.
Yep and while I'm sure the roof starts further ahead based on the shots of the test mule from above, ut this means that there will be asome assembly that extends well into the cabin/tub and means slightly more obstructions IMO. Might also mean the structure is greatly improved to reduce improper installation, which hopefully leads to less leaks, and the. further to less moanjng about leaks.:idea:

I'm wondering if they made this change to provide a little more sun and wind coverage when the roof is off. Of course it depends on how you sit and time of day/location of the sun but there have been times a little more "edge' on the top of the windshield would've given my eyes/head some extra shade. Just a thought.
Might help with some of the buffeting when the rear sections remain in place. If find with the soft top completely down or either top completely off, the wind isn't much of an issie, but with either the soft top partially open or just the freedom panels out there's a fair amount of buffeting even with the windows adjusted from 1-100% open. Worse in the JK currently than JKU IMO.
So if it helps with that, that's a nice thing, but will definitely make it a little less 'open air' if t is a very large/thick structure, but we knew that was kinda gonna happen, and definitely way better than people's fears/ideas from 18+ months ago.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
More likely it grew to provide roll-over protection. That thar's a real roll bar under thar.
Didn't really need to make the diameter much thicker, just needded to make the wall of the tubing thicker or completely solid (which adds weight, but so does larger outer diameter).
Lots of dedicated roll cages are still fairly thin looking tubing similar to the look of the JK, but they are much thicker walled and better material than the stock sport/family bar.

Tbakj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no Jeep yet...
Where is the sPOD switch bank supposed to go?
Personally, I like to buy as bare bones a model as possible, since the fun comes from adding as much aftermarket stuff as possible. This doesn't look as user friendly. I appear to be in the minority but...... I don't really like it.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't really need to make the diameter much thicker, just needded to make the wall of the tubing thicker or completely solid (which adds weight, but so does larger outer diameter).
Lots of dedicated roll cages are still fairly thin looking tubing similar to the look of the JK, but they are much thicker walled and better material than the stock sport/family bar.
Well, solid makes absolutely ZERO sense. Larger outer diameter makes a stronger cage even with thin tubing. Most likely though, is that the cage isn't bent and welded tubing like a typical roll bar/cage, but rather stamped hydro-formed steel sections spot or machine welded clamshell style, and integrated into the body structure. Some of the girth is due to interior covering too.

Joe Camel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Charger, Planning for JLU
Maybe it's just me ( or the angle of the picture)but when you look at the comparisons between the JL and JK picks above you can tell that the front windshield is angled more (Look at the green structure in the background of the JL and the people in the JK. I am assuming that both structures are vertical in nature). I know this has been discussed but I just thought it was interesting.
Did you catch the leaked image from a few weeks ago? Shows how much more angled the windshield is.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Body matched dash panel seems very likely standard but I hope some light colored exotic wood is optional

BHaner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 TJ Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I would love to see a Limited Wrangler option like FCA did with the Ram. That would be epic!

Sponsored

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
More likely it grew to provide roll-over protection. That thar's a real roll bar under thar.
Based on that leaked image of the JLU frame it doesn't show that it would need such a thick overhang. Of course this could be an unfinished stripped down image so who knows.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU! {filename}

JTman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JT to come
I see a slot for SD card. Is there USB and aux-in underneath the flap/cover?

Midnight2d

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Rubicon
Yep, was a wuick reply after coming out from morning meeting and seeing this finally up. Yeah the freedom top clip.

Yep and while I'm sure the roof starts further ahead based on the shots of the test mule from above, ut this means that there will be asome assembly that extends well into the cabin/tub and means slightly more obstructions IMO. Might also mean the structure is greatly improved to reduce improper installation, which hopefully leads to less leaks, and the. further to less moanjng about leaks.:idea:

Might help with some of the buffeting when the rear sections remain in place. If find with the soft top completely down or either top completely off, the wind isn't much of an issie, but with either the soft top partially open or just the freedom panels out there's a fair amount of buffeting even with the windows adjusted from 1-100% open. Worse in the JK currently than JKU IMO.
So if it helps with that, that's a nice thing, but will definitely make it a little less 'open air' if t is a very large/thick structure, but we knew that was kinda gonna happen, and definitely way better than people's fears/ideas from 18+ months ago.
It'll definitely help with the buffeting when the front panels are removed but after further thought I doubt my initial suggestion is true, that they made these changes to help with wind/sun. It seems relatively minor to make such a big change.

I hadn't thought of your speculation that it would make the top easier to install and as a result lead to fewer leaks. That's a good point. It would definitely be quicker to align if you're not having to crane your neck to align it perfectly with the windshield. It would also make the panels lighter to remove and smaller for easier storage. All good things, but let's hope the overhang isn't right where that latch appears even more inward than the folded visor. Somewhere in between might work but that's more claustrophobic than I want when the whole top is off.
Sponsored