Sponsored

First Look: Production Interior of the 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL/JLU!

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I didn't care much for the current big "slab" style dash (3rd pic). Hard to tell given the lower underside portion of the dash is not well lit in the photos, but the first two pics of the new dash appear to show more room under the dash area. As if things are tucked up more into the dash. I'll be happy if that is the case.

JeepDashComparison.jpg

Here is a clearer shot of the lower dash portion, which definitely appears to be more tucked and the glove box slants away compared to the JK.

jl-wrangler-interior.jpg
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Love seeing the manual stick shifter...

Now if it just had a diesel.

Ikari Warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Here is a clearer shot of the lower dash portion, which definitely appears to be more tucked and the glove box slants away compared to the JK.

jl-wrangler-interior.jpg
Thanks for the enhanced look. Leg/knee room already looks much better from this angle. :like:
Don't know how short the passenger is but his knee comes nowhere close to the glove box.

Nitzer51

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
So guys... we just got a 2016 jk sport... I'm hooked but that's my fiancés (no im not allowed to drive it haha)... now I want my own. Do I

1. Get a 2017 jk rubicon
Or
2. Wait for the 2018's...

My concern is that any changes in the body will need to be flushed out... and I'm not sure I want to be a beta tester! I'm like 50/50 right now. What would you guys do if you were me?

Sponsored

Izzy901

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 Grand Cherokee
I'd wait. You have less than 6 months. I'd wait til you catch a 18 on the lot, drive it, play around in it and if you like it, then get it. Don't jump ship on a 17 just yet. I'm waiting for the 18 personally. It's just a matter of ordering when the order banks open or waiting til I can catch one on the lot and play around in it myself.

So guys... we just got a 2016 jk sport... I'm hooked but that's my fiancés (no im not allowed to drive it haha)... now I want my own. Do I

1. Get a 2017 jk rubicon
Or
2. Wait for the 2018's...

My concern is that any changes in the body will need to be flushed out... and I'm not sure I want to be a beta tester! I'm like 50/50 right now. What would you guys do if you were me?

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If the Production Run is going to be 10 years, what's the Hurry ?? Plenty of time to pick and choose .
There will be great incentives on the outgoing JK, it's a proven platform. Get that, then get a mid to end cycle JL, with all the improvements it will have.

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
There will be great incentives on the outgoing JK, it's a proven platform.
Not only that, but resale values for the JK seem to keep increasing and they aren't going to diminish just because the JL is out. You can buy a JK, throw 50k miles on it, and as long as you didn't get screwed by the dealership when you bought it, sell the thing for nearly what you paid for it. It's insane.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Not only that, but resale values for the JK seem to keep increasing and they aren't going to diminish just because the JL is out.
Actually resale values have dipped year over year since a high in 2014, and part of the reason is the arrival of the JL with major features for the people most interested in metrics alone (new transmission improves MPG, new safety features will improve IIHS score, and likely both will impact the useless for the category but powerful CR rating).
JK is a solid platform for resale to be sure, but even the idea that there will be great incentives / sales on final year JKs when the JL arrives impacts the resale value of a 2nd hand JK.

You can buy a JK, throw 50k miles on it, and as long as you didn't get screwed by the dealership when you bought it, sell the thing for nearly what you paid for it. It's insane.
And that will probably still be the case, that it'll still have great value retention, but that's not on the rise it's on a slight decline. Unlike the FJ, it's not the end of model, just the end of that style, so it's not getting that same EOL boost the FJ got.

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
JLs will be relatively hard to come by at first and since they will be selling 2018 JK's the value should hold up for at least a while. It's a good thing too because almost anyone comparing the interiors side by side will be struck by how archaic the JK's is.

You can argue Jeep buyers don't care about that stuff much but i guarantee it'll be hard to choose the JK if the JL is sitting next to it, unless significant price difference. That's just talking interior too.

Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Actually resale values have dipped year over year since a high in 2014
I'm on my third JK and I've eaten less depreciation with a similar amount of mileage and ownership longevity each time. In fact, if I sold my '14 today, based on the values not only my in my local area, but surrounding counties, I'd actually look to make a few hundred bucks over what I originally paid. And I just hit 50k miles.

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
I've purchased 3 new JK's, and 1 used. My most recent 2016 I sold a few months ago so that I wouldn't take a hit when the JL comes out. I had a good amount of money in mods on all of them, but I got most of the money I invested back every time(On one occasion I made money.)
It's hard to say how the JK value will drop when the JL comes out, but a coworker of mine purchased an 06 TJ in 2012 for nearly $16k! It was in good shape, but at the time I remember thinking he could have ordered a base JK 2dr for not much more...

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm on my third JK and I've eaten less depreciation with a similar amount of mileage and ownership longevity each time. In fact, if I sold my '14 today, based on the values not only my in my local area, but surrounding counties, I'd actually look to make a few hundred bucks over what I originally paid. And I just hit 50k miles.
I'm not talking about regional personal experiences, I'm talking about the industry average over thousands of vehicles as shown on KBB, etc. and that's been a gradual downward since 2014 or 2015 depending on the metric.

BTW, as I mentioned your 2014 was that peak % (even though it wasn't the top of the list which was 2012 for the Wrangler which was #1 but at a lower % resale), so your recent sales doesn't even go against those KBB numbers since the decline was since then, 2015, 2016, 2017 are all at lower rates year over year since 2014.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KBB Snapshots, as you can see they drop year over year since 2014 despite still being near the top of the list of all vehicles (even the 2015 ranks higher, but with a lower resale rate);

IMG_0465.jpg

IMG_0480.jpg
IMG_0479.jpg
IMG_0468.jpg

And for texture the 2012 (which I had before the 2015 JKU A-X) which was #1 just above the FJ, but whose resale was lower than the 2014s'.

IMG_0469.jpg

TTEChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tankcustoms.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JTD & 2021 4XE
Vehicle Showcase
People in TX love their Jeeps. I typically buy 1-2 year old vehicles, but you can easily get a JK for 2% under invoice here. Every time I would shop for one 1-3 years old they were at or sometimes above that price with 20-30k miles on them(Rubicon models, I didn't look at anything else when shopping)
The one used JK I purchased was 1 year old with 12k miles. It was a 2dr hard rock with the 6spd. I happened to see it before they put it on their website(whoever priced it didn't do their research.)
Sponsored