Sponsored

First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
That's likely because of where you live. I know a lot of people in the Jeepin' community up north here that want the convertibility, but can't justify either the soft-top in winter, or storing both (condo owners, students). The Freedom top helps, but in the summer it takes up a ton of interior space to store within the Wrangler. Something like this provides a more open-air Wrangler feel to people who are stuck with a hardtop due to their -40 winter temperature considerations, etc.
Most people I know are fine with the current options, but many of them would add their name to the list for a very large sliding sky-roof instead of the freedom top, some of whom leave the current freedom top closed all year due to the hassle, much to my astonishment & disappointment.

I see a good market for this especially in the urban adventurer crowd in Northern climates.

Exactly, if we get more options without losing good existing ones, then all the more WooHoo too!
Yea don't get me wrong, I have my issues with the freedom top. I hurt my shoulder recently and it was a B just trying to remove the front panels. I've also had a minor leak due from user error (forgot to put back one of screws in the sound bar) so there is definitely room for improvement.

I think my initial knee jerk reaction like many in the Jeep community is a fear of any steps in the direction of closing that roof off for good based on "market studies" and what "most" buyers want, but if it allows them to keep building convertible Jeeps I'm all for it.

now if they can find a way to have a sliding roof AND you can go fully convertible in one setup :fist bump::rock:
Sponsored

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
This also got me thinking. If there is a JL/JLU with a fixed steel roof enclosure will it be built without the sound bar/cross beam?

The solid roof should provide plenty of rigidity and protection for rollover and give an otherwise closed off design a very appealing lack of any obstruction overhead for front or rear passengers
fully agreed !
When I drive my girl's JK, and get the seat all the way back where my long legs are finally somewhat comfortable, that crossbar hits the back of my head. So a fixed roof with sunroofs, and no sound bar / crossbar and more headroom, would be totally welcome !

MrDinkMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Durango
Sounds like a premium option. Good to have more choices as long as they give us traditional manual fully removeable tops too. AFAIK the mysky roof is pretty new and debuted on the Renegade just recently. Complex new features like this sometimes have teething issues so would be interesting to hear how it's been working out for Renegade owners.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
The interior roof shot also appears to have a prominent 'seam' down the center of the panel over the front seats, ala the current Freedom top panels. If this was indeed a MySky type top I would expect a single panel over the front seats like what the Renegade has.
yeah when I saw that seam I was let down. I'm really hoping there is an option with full width sunroofs over front and back seats, with removable panels storable in cargo area.

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Well it's clearly something new, and I'm sure we will all be pleasantly surprised by what the engineering team comes up with. At the very least, we know we will always have the standard hard and soft top options. Can't wait for the press release.

Sponsored

doh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler
Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top {filename}

Is it just me or do those visors look huge compared to the jk? it looks like it would cover half the windshield folded down.

btw i think the frame surrounding the windshield will be really thick if you look at where the switchgear is located. unless it comes off with the roof which I doubt.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
I think this place is not good / Off-road

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top {filename}

BlackRubi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 Rubicon
yeah when I saw that seam I was let down. I'm really hoping there is an option with full width sunroofs over front and back seats, with removable panels storable in cargo area.
Without the seam you can forget about storing it anywhere in the Jeep. As it is the 2 Freedom panels barely fit if you have anything else in the rear, so you can kiss that goodbye if they don't break it up into at least 3, maybe 4 pieces. More importantly it makes it lighter and less of a chore to take on and off.

Tiago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
When i first saw the A pillar handles I really expected them to be removable but it doesn't look like it from these up close pictures. At least give people the option of whether they want it or give the option of smaller ones. Those handles are huge and an eye sore for people who don't need or want it. IMO they should just let people decide for themselves whether to buy it in the aftermarket.

Sponsored

Dart Maul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Xterra, 2014 Dart
Sounds like a premium option. Good to have more choices as long as they give us traditional manual fully removeable tops too. AFAIK the mysky roof is pretty new and debuted on the Renegade just recently. Complex new features like this sometimes have teething issues so would be interesting to hear how it's been working out for Renegade owners.
I've read some complaints about issues with the rubber weather stripping gasket on Mysky roof on the Renegade. Some sagged, weren't snug, or bulged and led to some complaints of leaks. Those owners needed full replacement but covered under warranty of course. Owners who had no issues with the weather stripping haven't reported leaks.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The A pillar grab handles are at an angle to minimize any blockage of views.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
IF all 3 tops were supposed to fit on the same platform, why would they want to put the MySky on the road a lot? They have environmental testing chambers for that. If they know that they have to be in public, why not stick to the well known easily identifiable Freedom top except for those times when they rarely absolutely must test the Alternate roof?

I'm not saying anything is confirmed, but that you see one familiar setup of multiple possible roofs doesn't eliminate the possibility of the MySky roof being one of the 'other' options.
this is the kind of optimism I need to revisit while waiting for the damn reveal !!!!!!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
The softtop might actually be a better option due to it being able to retract well within a red light's time frame
Sponsored

Last edited: