Sponsored

First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
The fold- down part is the GLASS ; the outer frame is now an integral "roll cage" . The side Grab Handles are for lowering the glass. You can see the traditional type of outer windshield hinge in some of the Spy Pix.
This is a great Safety and Convenience improvement.
Ah so only the windshield glass will fold down. That's nice it'll make folding windshield so much easier.

Side grab handles look attached to the A pillar though so doubt those would fold down with the glass?
Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Great find Phil. :like:

I'm really curious how they are going to make the entire roof come off (even with the help of another person) while having a sliding power roof. The Mysky roof on the Renegade is extremely bulky and seems like it would only work on a fixed traditional roof structure. There would also need to be a quick power disconnect for all the electronics involved.
I don't think the whole top will come off with this sliding power top. It'll likely be a permanent steel roof that you can't remove. And for people who want to remove the whole top they'll just order their Wranglers with the traditional hard/soft tops. The JL is gonna sell like hotcakes with all these factory top options.

Dackel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU, Ram 1500
I don't think the whole top will come off with this sliding power top. It'll likely be a permanent steel roof that you can't remove. And for people who want to remove the whole top they'll just order their Wranglers with the traditional hard/soft tops. The JL is gonna sell like hotcakes with all these factory top options.
I'm guessing IF this happens it is billed as some kind of premium option. It just seems surprising that they would build a new version with a non removable steel roof requiring different manufacturing/assembly processes just to offer a sliding top - something that no one I know has been asking for on a Wrangler. Anyhow I'm all for more options as long as they offer a lightweight removable hard top.

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
Seriously doubt it's a "power top." However, there's always been a lot of unused real estate in the A-pillar trim that's perfect for extra buttons, controls, auxiliary switches, etc. The recent news of an included CB would make that an ideal spot for it.
Except it's not on the A pillar but on the overhead console which IMO is a terrible place for a CB if you're taking the roof off at all. It's either mounted directly to the roof or mounted to a rack that attaches to the back of the windshield "frame" either way obstructing the roof removal or open views when the roof is removed.

I think the speculation of this being a power roof is right. I know there were rumors of it years ago and it seems like it's really coming now.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-sho...news/a7264/jeep-considers-power-top-wrangler/

As for how it would slide back, they would probably ditch the 3 piece roof and go with a solid steel roof with 2 retractable panels that would slide all the way to the rear of the Jeep, maybe even tucking away by the rear tailgate.

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Woa power top on a Wrangler. Pretty revolutionary addition considering how little changes on the Wrangler over time. It's looking like Jeep really went wild on roof options and configurability for JL.
Well if you think about it, from the TJ to JK they added the modular Freedom Top, so this is the time when such changes would occur. Plus they added premium soft top half-way through the run, etc.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
... something that no one I know has been asking for on a Wrangler.
That's likely because of where you live. I know a lot of people in the Jeepin' community up north here that want the convertibility, but can't justify either the soft-top in winter, or storing both (condo owners, students). The Freedom top helps, but in the summer it takes up a ton of interior space to store within the Wrangler. Something like this provides a more open-air Wrangler feel to people who are stuck with a hardtop due to their -40 winter temperature considerations, etc.
Most people I know are fine with the current options, but many of them would add their name to the list for a very large sliding sky-roof instead of the freedom top, some of whom leave the current freedom top closed all year due to the hassle, much to my astonishment & disappointment.

I see a good market for this especially in the urban adventurer crowd in Northern climates.

Anyhow I'm all for more options as long as they offer a lightweight removable hard top.
Exactly, if we get more options without losing good existing ones, then all the more WooHoo too!

Last edited:

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
I know more than a few people who would be interested in a retractable roof. Added weight would be the only concern. Jeep should offer clear/glass panels to let in light when it's closed, but I'm sure the aftermarket would be happy to fill that order if they don't.

I know there's been rumors of an accordion style soft top like the Liberty Skyslider. Now i'm thinking these 2 power roofs will be built with the same top structure and could explain the "interchangeable soft/hard top" we keep hearing about. You could order either or both the fabric top or hard vinyl panels and snap one or the other into the sliding mechanism as you see fit.

The soft top could fold onto itself like an accordion while the hard top would need to tuck into the back or "stack" and fold on the rear portino of the roof, hopefully leaving the entire back seats and part of the rear cargo exposed to the open air.

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top {filename}

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Nice spot. Didn't see this one coming. The roof options for the JL and JLU are shaping up to be the biggest story for the new Wrangler.
word.

It just seems surprising that they would build a new version with a non removable steel roof requiring different manufacturing/assembly processes just to offer a sliding top - something that no one I know has been asking for on a Wrangler. Anyhow I'm all for more options as long as they offer a lightweight removable hard top.
where do you stay, Dackel ? And how old are you ?

I'm in chicago and hella girls I date (18-26) love wranglers, and love the top off in summer appeal. Also since Dwayne Wade and Sean Combs got custom wranglers 8-9yrs ago, and Paul George was in the ad campaign, a lot of my friends (20's many d1 athletes) also like/want wranglers.

This may upset some hardcore off-road dudes, but most of these demographics want wranglers mostly for the looks, and occasionally to drive on beaches, dunes, woods and trails. No real mountains anywhere nearby to drive up lol. So no need for lifts or giant tires. But plenty of a need for an entry level wrangler with a vast selection of options to add, like a Harmon Kardon premium audio system, chrome accents (I know y'all hate this the most), or heated seats/steering wheel/engine block heater.

And just like the other poster from a cold climate said, different options would be more or less desirable in different markets.

Our weather in chicago can change multiple times per day, and many are students or young people in apartments where space is at a premium, storing a huge hard top in a garage isn't a reality for many potential buyers.

But we all still want to enjoy more open air experience then any other truck can offer.

Enter ... a whole slew of new roof options for the JL/JLU.

Having at least one sunroof-laden multi-panel hard top, that could be stored IN THE CARGO AREA, would be optimal for these demographics. Even if it means having a fixed roof structure/quasi-unibody eco-wrangler, like may be pictured here:

Jeep Wrangler JL First Look: New Wrangler Roof With MySky-Like Power Retractable Top {filename}

I feel like having three glass sunroofs year round, would be cooler than the double "Pano" sunroof on the S550 AMG

Last edited:

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
Also, having a power soft top would probably be dope too, and would yield a lot of aspirational sales once the NBA/NFL dudes start buying these:

Sponsored

Bill P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited
At least we have seen this one

which SHOULD be the regular Freedom top without power. If the images in the first post are really a Mysky sun roof, they managed to build it with the same roofline and everything. The rain gutter and window/door cut lines look exactly the same from what I can tell.

Shumx2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram Rebel
I know more than a few people who would be interested in a retractable roof. Added weight would be the only concern. Jeep should offer clear/glass panels to let in light when it's closed, but I'm sure the aftermarket would be happy to fill that order if they don't.

I know there's been rumors of an accordion style soft top like the Liberty Skyslider. Now i'm thinking these 2 power roofs will be built with the same top structure and could explain the "interchangeable soft/hard top" we keep hearing about. You could order either or both the fabric top or hard vinyl panels and snap one or the other into the sliding mechanism as you see fit.

The soft top could fold onto itself like an accordion while the hard top would need to tuck into the back or "stack" and fold on the rear portino of the roof, hopefully leaving the entire back seats and part of the rear cargo exposed to the open air.

Interesting points. Swappable tops would be cool, even better if the aftermarket offers different material panels for different purposes.

This also got me thinking. If there is a JL/JLU with a fixed steel roof enclosure will it be built without the sound bar/cross beam?

The solid roof should provide plenty of rigidity and protection for rollover and give an otherwise closed off design a very appealing lack of any obstruction overhead for front or rear passengers. I can see this being a decent selling point beyond just a retractable top.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
At least we have seen this one

which SHOULD be the regular Freedom top without power. If the images in the first post are really a Mysky sun roof, they managed to build it with the same roofline and everything. The rain gutter and window/door cut lines look exactly the same from what I can tell.

That's my issue with the whole MySky-like top theory... so far none of the roof top spy photos we've seen appear to support such a top - they all look exactly like the current 3-pc JK top w/Freedom panels, just with a full length rain gutter - though it's possible that the camo wrapping the sides of the roof are obscuring the seams/track required for such a top.

The interior roof shot also appears to have a prominent 'seam' down the center of the panel over the front seats, ala the current Freedom top panels. If this was indeed a MySky type top I would expect a single panel over the front seats like what the Renegade has.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
However, that it is usually seen with the Freedom Top doesn't mean the MySky isn't an option, just like the soft top seen briefly and done.

IF all 3 tops were supposed to fit on the same platform, why would they want to put the MySky on the road a lot? They have environmental testing chambers for that. If they know that they have to be in public, why not stick to the well known easily identifiable Freedom top except for those times when they rarely absolutely must test the Alternate roof?

The main takeaway is the additional features, including the buttons. And that seam down the middle is far more exaggerated than the current freedom top (just compare the two in the photos earlier in the thread by CorpCow), so even that is different and not a JK top.

I'm not saying anything is confirmed, but that you see one familiar setup of multiple possible roofs doesn't eliminate the possibility of the MySky roof being one of the 'other' options.

FLtorpedo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Rubicon
IF all 3 tops were supposed to fit on the same platform, why would they want to put the MySky on the road a lot? They have environmental testing chambers for that. If they know that they have to be in public, why not stick to the well known easily identifiable Freedom top except for those times when they rarely absolutely must test the Alternate roof?
+1 Especially if it's a major first time feature like a powered top that Jeep would like to be a complete surprise at reveal.
Interesting points. Swappable tops would be cool, even better if the aftermarket offers different material panels for different purposes.

This also got me thinking. If there is a JL/JLU with a fixed steel roof enclosure will it be built without the sound bar/cross beam?

The solid roof should provide plenty of rigidity and protection for rollover and give an otherwise closed off design a very appealing lack of any obstruction overhead for front or rear passengers. I can see this being a decent selling point beyond just a retractable top.
It's easy enough to remove the soundbar (some JK owners have) but I think it's an issue of the added cost to build. If the roll cage is part of the frame now which it appears to be from the leaked images I would expect that crossbeam to be there no matter the trim/options selected. I just can't see Jeep having two separate frames just to add a power roof option.

This also keeps the number of different parts that need to be sourced and supplied down to a minimum and allows economies of scale so that no matter the roof configuration the same sound bar, dome lights (not to mention satellite radio) and other parts are shared between all all JL trims and JLU trims. Let's not forget this is a mass produced vehicle they are aiming to sell 300-400K a year. There's already plenty of buyers who have a hard time deciding between the soft and hard top. Jeep should know their best strategy is to improve them both while making them as similar and interchangeable as possible.

So IF they decide to offer any kind of power top it is not surprising to me at all that the roof lines look the same. I would bet that if you get a sliding top it will be incorporated into the sound bar/crossbeam. Don't expect them to tear out the guts of the Wrangler just to accommodate it.
Sponsored