Sponsored

First look at the Jeep Wrangler 4XE hybrid electric PHEV in the flesh!

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Your diffs are extremely unlikely to crack from an impact though.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Rubicon. To me, it seems a pretty good compromise for a mass produced vehicle, though I acknowledge that drivetrain layout could have been better optimized.

Based on what I'm seeing, if MPG were a stated goal, along with offroad capability, the diesel seems at first glance to be a better option. More options aren't a bad thing though.
well I only have a Dana 30 up front but I'd still be insane to be driving hard enough to crack it open, lol. I was just pointing out there are things that hang down lower than that battery box.

I think my point with the Rubicon is that it is still a good daily driver right out of the factory, instead of something along the purposes of a RZR turbo and the like. Both the 2.0 and the 3.6 Rubis I've driven gave me decent fuel numbers compared to what I get in my own Jeep. I think the next Jeep will be a Rubi. :)

I do agree, the 3.0 diesel is a strong pull for the fuel efficiency minded drivers, plus a diesel engine is a good match for my driving style. I'm still curious about this hybrid though, but realistically I doubt it will be as efficient as the Pacifica plug in. I think Jeep knows better than to sacrifice the trail rating when they have the Renegade and Compass hybrids to get into that range of efficiency.
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
To each their own....never been too impressed with stock RZRs, Mavericks, etc. for anything beyond really easy trail riding/dune running machines.
I'm not a big fan of that centrifugal clutch on the bigger engine RZRs. Seems to be all throttle or no throttle and nothing in between. I was actually more comfortable with the RZR 570.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I predict this will be the fastest-depreciating Wrangler trim ever. I love the concept of PHEVs, but they never make sense from a financial perspective unless you expect to drive them until the wheels falls off; which will happen sooner than you think on a vehicle that combines the failure points of both gas and electric drivetrains.

BEVs depreciate rapidly also, but they are also mechanically much simpler than even a gas vehicle. There are rental fleets that have operated Teslas for 500k+ miles with minimal repairs/maintenance besides tires/brakes.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Dear Jeep

Could you move the recharge port to someplace that doesn't block cowl based roof racks and lighting systems?

There are so many places you could put the port that historically don't get in the way of mods.

Thanks.
Me wonders whether the current position would make any additional wind noise.

Sponsored

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Li'l Cooper; Subee, CR-V
Not that excited by the PHEV part, but whoa...loving the paint scheme and accents!

The gunmetal with blue accents hits mighty close to home. :rock:

upload_2020-1-7_21-36-58.png

What a matched pair that would make!
@obwahn introduction ...

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
diesel_jeep found this on the Mopar website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/owners-manual.html
Looks like its getting the 2.0 turbo. Interestingly, if you select the Sahara PHEV on the drop down menu, it lists it as having 3.73 gears Also, it only lists Sahara and Rubicon as PHEV
wrangler-phev-png.png

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
diesel_jeep found this on the Mopar website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/owners-manual.html
Looks like its getting the 2.0 turbo. Interestingly, if you select the Sahara PHEV on the drop down menu, it lists it as having 3.73 gears Also, it only lists Sahara and Rubicon as PHEV
wrangler-phev-png.png
Very interesting. Hopefully they still have to fill in the blanks on the "Towing package: Not Available". The CES PHEV Rubicon DOES have a tow hitch. The Pacifica PHEV was not able to tow (something about too much heat generated in the PHEV system by towing), and I was hoping that this new gen PHEV would be able to do it. The spy photo mule that was running around had a tow hitch but that probably doesn't mean much. Hopefully the CES PHEV is true to form and it will have towing capacity.

The Gladiator also doesn't use the 2.0 Turbo, but is supposed to get the PHEV system. So will the Gladiator get the 2.0T PHEV (and likely have a sharply reduced towing capacity)? Or is there also going to be a 3.6L PHEV? And if so, will that also be available on the Wrangler?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
They did a pretty good job with the battery placement. It is not any lower than the 2.0 eTorque battery, it just looks like it must be larger/longer. It's not any lower than the resonator on the exhaust. And it has what looks to be the same fuel tank as the non-EV models, so it should have 30+ miles better range when fully charged.

It would be interesting to see an underside pic of the front so we know what base motor we are dealing with.

You can also see the battery coolant lines draped over the driver side framerail.

I think from the earlier spy pics it could be seen that the front axle of this thing will have CV shafts. It's very cool that you can also schedule the charge times.

I'm optimistic about the pricing on this. It doesn't appear radically different from the packaging on the eTorque models. It will be more expensive than eTorque for sure... but will it be more than the diesel option? Maybe not...
Same 2.0T as now.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I predict this will be the fastest-depreciating Wrangler trim ever. I love the concept of PHEVs, but they never make sense from a financial perspective unless you expect to drive them until the wheels falls off; which will happen sooner than you think on a vehicle that combines the failure points of both gas and electric drivetrains.

BEVs depreciate rapidly also, but they are also mechanically much simpler than even a gas vehicle. There are rental fleets that have operated Teslas for 500k+ miles with minimal repairs/maintenance besides tires/brakes.
I have a feeling the Chinese market and China's requirements dictated much of the design?

Sponsored

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Stupid colorway. Why not cloak it in the same trim as any other Jeep, and when someone asks, surprise them with the fact that its a PHEV?

GM did this same style treatment on the Tahoe and Yukon's, Porsche the same with their lime green logos and brake calipers, neither sold well

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If they actually want to sell these, and stop financing Tesla through carbon credits, they will have to be priced no higher than the E-torque, maybe less. Otherwise, why buy ?
The diesel,at $4500 premium has torque and range, two attractive features.
They don't have to make financial sense, people want those ,and will pay.
This has to have a decent incentive in price,in my opinion, as it's just an extended range 2.0..

Aceman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
NPE102414 hit the nail on the head in an earlier post. Jeep can't even figure out steering on the current JL's - loose steering, steering locking up, wandering, death wobble, etc. Sure, this looks awesome and I'd love to have one some day but I'd wait until 3rd or 4th year of production on these.

scramboleer

Threads
Reaction score
Too many variables on this one, but I admit it could come across my radar in a few years. Let them work the bugs out. Somehow I imagine it won’t be a “plug and play” situation.
Rumor has it that Jeep will use a version of the current Pacifica's plug-in hybrid system in the PHEV Wrangler.
Sponsored