Advertisement

First look at the Jeep Wrangler 4XE hybrid electric PHEV in the flesh!

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
They did a pretty good job with the battery placement. It is not any lower than the 2.0 eTorque battery, it just looks like it must be larger/longer. It's not any lower than the resonator on the exhaust. And it has what looks to be the same fuel tank as the non-EV models, so it should have 30+ miles better range when fully charged.

It would be interesting to see an underside pic of the front so we know what base motor we are dealing with.

You can also see the battery coolant lines draped over the driver side framerail.

I think from the earlier spy pics it could be seen that the front axle of this thing will have CV shafts. It's very cool that you can also schedule the charge times.

I'm optimistic about the pricing on this. It doesn't appear radically different from the packaging on the eTorque models. It will be more expensive than eTorque for sure... but will it be more than the diesel option? Maybe not...
Same 2.0T as now.

Advertisement

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I predict this will be the fastest-depreciating Wrangler trim ever. I love the concept of PHEVs, but they never make sense from a financial perspective unless you expect to drive them until the wheels falls off; which will happen sooner than you think on a vehicle that combines the failure points of both gas and electric drivetrains.

BEVs depreciate rapidly also, but they are also mechanically much simpler than even a gas vehicle. There are rental fleets that have operated Teslas for 500k+ miles with minimal repairs/maintenance besides tires/brakes.
I have a feeling the Chinese market and China's requirements dictated much of the design?

Simann

First Name
Jonathan
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Stupid colorway. Why not cloak it in the same trim as any other Jeep, and when someone asks, surprise them with the fact that its a PHEV?

GM did this same style treatment on the Tahoe and Yukon's, Porsche the same with their lime green logos and brake calipers, neither sold well

four low

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
If they actually want to sell these, and stop financing Tesla through carbon credits, they will have to be priced no higher than the E-torque, maybe less. Otherwise, why buy ?
The diesel,at $4500 premium has torque and range, two attractive features.
They don't have to make financial sense, people want those ,and will pay.
This has to have a decent incentive in price,in my opinion, as it's just an extended range 2.0..

Aceman

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUS
NPE102414 hit the nail on the head in an earlier post. Jeep can't even figure out steering on the current JL's - loose steering, steering locking up, wandering, death wobble, etc. Sure, this looks awesome and I'd love to have one some day but I'd wait until 3rd or 4th year of production on these.

scramboleer

Reaction score
Too many variables on this one, but I admit it could come across my radar in a few years. Let them work the bugs out. Somehow I imagine it won’t be a “plug and play” situation.
Rumor has it that Jeep will use a version of the current Pacifica's plug-in hybrid system in the PHEV Wrangler.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I'm pretty sure the power plant and the battery were pulled from a different vehicle. It all depends one how much research and development they had. My only concern is cost if the diesel version is pricey how much would this one cost.
Hopefully from a vehicle that didn’t have issues, unlike a diesel from the Ram.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
NPE102414 hit the nail on the head in an earlier post. Jeep can't even figure out steering on the current JL's - loose steering, steering locking up, wandering, death wobble, etc. Sure, this looks awesome and I'd love to have one some day but I'd wait until 3rd or 4th year of production on these.
Exactly! For the amount of money we paid for these things I wasn’t willing to be a guinea pig. I chose the tried and true 3.6 and couldn’t be happier

cjaama

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I'm not a fan of the blue accents and would paint, dip or swap over all of it.

Kyanche

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I want one. XD

Of course I'm not going to buy one, and the 4xe badging is silly. The blue trim on the rubicon logo and the blue rings look cool, though.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T
I want one. XD

Of course I'm not going to buy one, and the 4xe badging is silly. The blue trim on the rubicon logo and the blue rings look cool, though.
I can see the aftermarket. People pimping out the blue trim with a subtle blue led so it has a slight glow. I think the Prius had that for it's logo or something.

Kyanche

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I would “hemi” swap that bitch lol
Hemi badges should only go on things that have Hemis in them. :D

The real reason I'd want one of these, though, is the potential city gas mileage. I never drive on the freeways. Except maybe to get out of town to get to a trail. And I live in LA, so driving on the freeway most of the time is like driving down main street pretty much everywhere else lol.

Advertisement

Advertisement