Advertisement

First look at the Jeep Wrangler 4XE hybrid electric PHEV in the flesh!

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
If you are regularly running double black rock trails, yes, I agree, it will get in the way, and this will not be for you. But really it it not that much lower than the EVAP on a JK. In a stock configuration the transfer case skid, trans crossmember, and forward section of the gas tank take the worst direct blows anyways. By the time you are cresting something the aft section of the gas skid usually just drags, which is about the same as what will happen to this battery skid. It's not for hard core rocks where you're at risk of regular and really hard direct blows to the battery skid. I'll agree with that.
Same EVAP that JK owners are constantly cracking?

Seems ill-suited to a Rubicon package then....since rockcrawling is primarily what it's marketed to.

Advertisement

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Looks like it has better protection than the fuel tank.
Well, being smaller in surface area definitely helps. Just seems pretty vulnerable....but to be honest, where else are they going to put it?

As discussed earlier....seems like electrification on this non-dedicated platform makes a lot of compromises. It's the nature of the beast when you retrofit something that wasn't initially designed to perform a certain function.

OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original
Same EVAP that JK owners are constantly cracking?

Seems ill-suited to a Rubicon package then....since rockcrawling is primarily what it's marketed to.
Only EVAP JK cracking failure that I'm aware of is the port that goes between it and the gas tank, and I don't think that has anything to do with the location of the EVAP skid. It's a fitting on top of the gas tank. Personally I occasionally hit the EVAP and have an Evo skid over it, but don't hit it with near the regularity of everything well in front of it.

There's rocks and then there's rocks. I'm pretty sure this thing will make it through Jeep's negotiation of the Rubicon. It seems unlikely that anyone is buying this expecting to take it through JV or similar stuff.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only EVAP JK cracking failure that I'm aware of is the port that goes between it and the gas tank, and I don't think that has anything to do with the location of the EVAP skid. It's a fitting on top of the gas tank. Personally I occasionally hit the EVAP and have an Evo skid over it, but don't hit it with near the regularity of everything well in front of it.

There's rocks and then there's rocks. I'm pretty sure this thing will make it through Jeep's negotiation of the Rubicon. It seems unlikely that anyone is buying this expecting to take it through JV or similar stuff.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion; not that you need my permission. ;)

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Well, being smaller in surface area definitely helps. Just seems pretty vulnerable....but to be honest, where else are they going to put it?

As discussed earlier....seems like electrification on this non-dedicated platform makes a lot of compromises. It's the nature of the beast when you retrofit something that wasn't initially designed to perform a certain function.
I would say just as vulnerable as anything else under there, and my differentials are scraped up more than anything else down there. Obviously when you purpose build something like you have you have the luxury of putting the components where you need them to fit your specific needs. You really can't have a fully dedicated rock crawler that isn't good for anything else as a mass produced vehicle. But fortunately this hybrid is only an option and nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, so if you don't think it will fit a specific direction for a build, then you just get the Jeep you want.

For someone like me who daily drives the Jeep to work, church and grocery store (but never to the mall :lipssealed:) and only off roads on a few weekends this would be an interesting option.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would say just as vulnerable as anything else under there, and my differentials are scraped up more than anything else down there. Obviously when you purpose build something like you have you have the luxury of putting the components where you need them to fit your specific needs. You really can't have a fully dedicated rock crawler that isn't good for anything else as a mass produced vehicle. But fortunately this hybrid is only an option and nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, so if you don't think it will fit a specific direction for a build, then you just get the Jeep you want.

For someone like me who daily drives the Jeep to work, church and grocery store (but never to the mall :lipssealed:) and only off roads on a few weekends this would be an interesting option.
Your diffs are extremely unlikely to crack from an impact though.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Rubicon. To me, it seems a pretty good compromise for a mass produced vehicle, though I acknowledge that drivetrain layout could have been better optimized.

Based on what I'm seeing, if MPG were a stated goal, along with offroad capability, the diesel seems at first glance to be a better option. More options aren't a bad thing though.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, 2017 Honda Accord Sport, 2003 Yamaha V Star 650 Silverado, 2014 Yamaha V Star 1300 Tourer
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Your diffs are extremely unlikely to crack from an impact though.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Rubicon. To me, it seems a pretty good compromise for a mass produced vehicle, though I acknowledge that drivetrain layout could have been better optimized.

Based on what I'm seeing, if MPG were a stated goal, along with offroad capability, the diesel seems at first glance to be a better option. More options aren't a bad thing though.
well I only have a Dana 30 up front but I'd still be insane to be driving hard enough to crack it open, lol. I was just pointing out there are things that hang down lower than that battery box.

I think my point with the Rubicon is that it is still a good daily driver right out of the factory, instead of something along the purposes of a RZR turbo and the like. Both the 2.0 and the 3.6 Rubis I've driven gave me decent fuel numbers compared to what I get in my own Jeep. I think the next Jeep will be a Rubi. :)

I do agree, the 3.0 diesel is a strong pull for the fuel efficiency minded drivers, plus a diesel engine is a good match for my driving style. I'm still curious about this hybrid though, but realistically I doubt it will be as efficient as the Pacifica plug in. I think Jeep knows better than to sacrifice the trail rating when they have the Renegade and Compass hybrids to get into that range of efficiency.

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
well I only have a Dana 30 up front but I'd still be insane to be driving hard enough to crack it open, lol. I was just pointing out there are things that hang down lower than that battery box.

I think my point with the Rubicon is that it is still a good daily driver right out of the factory, instead of something along the purposes of a RZR turbo and the like. Both the 2.0 and the 3.6 Rubis I've driven gave me decent fuel numbers compared to what I get in my own Jeep. I think the next Jeep will be a Rubi. :)

I do agree, the 3.0 diesel is a strong pull for the fuel efficiency minded drivers, plus a diesel engine is a good match for my driving style. I'm still curious about this hybrid though, but realistically I doubt it will be as efficient as the Pacifica plug in. I think Jeep knows better than to sacrifice the trail rating when they have the Renegade and Compass hybrids to get into that range of efficiency.
To each their own....never been too impressed with stock RZRs, Mavericks, etc. for anything beyond really easy trail riding/dune running machines.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
To each their own....never been too impressed with stock RZRs, Mavericks, etc. for anything beyond really easy trail riding/dune running machines.
I'm not a big fan of that centrifugal clutch on the bigger engine RZRs. Seems to be all throttle or no throttle and nothing in between. I was actually more comfortable with the RZR 570.

The_Phew

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I predict this will be the fastest-depreciating Wrangler trim ever. I love the concept of PHEVs, but they never make sense from a financial perspective unless you expect to drive them until the wheels falls off; which will happen sooner than you think on a vehicle that combines the failure points of both gas and electric drivetrains.

BEVs depreciate rapidly also, but they are also mechanically much simpler than even a gas vehicle. There are rental fleets that have operated Teslas for 500k+ miles with minimal repairs/maintenance besides tires/brakes.

KIVO

First Name
Kid
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n JLR 2.0
Occupation
Practical engineer
Dear Jeep

Could you move the recharge port to someplace that doesn't block cowl based roof racks and lighting systems?

There are so many places you could put the port that historically don't get in the way of mods.

Thanks.
Me wonders whether the current position would make any additional wind noise.

wahlsaint

First Name
Todd
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6MT; Macan Turbo; Mini Cooper
Not that excited by the PHEV part, but whoa...loving the paint scheme and accents!

The gunmetal with blue accents hits mighty close to home. :rock:

upload_2020-1-7_21-36-58.png

What a matched pair that would make!
@obwahn introduction ...

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
diesel_jeep found this on the Mopar website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/owners-manual.html
Looks like its getting the 2.0 turbo. Interestingly, if you select the Sahara PHEV on the drop down menu, it lists it as having 3.73 gears Also, it only lists Sahara and Rubicon as PHEV
wrangler-phev-png.png

OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK Unlimited Sport, 2014 Manley ORV Original
diesel_jeep found this on the Mopar website: https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/owners-manual.html
Looks like its getting the 2.0 turbo. Interestingly, if you select the Sahara PHEV on the drop down menu, it lists it as having 3.73 gears Also, it only lists Sahara and Rubicon as PHEV
wrangler-phev-png.png
Very interesting. Hopefully they still have to fill in the blanks on the "Towing package: Not Available". The CES PHEV Rubicon DOES have a tow hitch. The Pacifica PHEV was not able to tow (something about too much heat generated in the PHEV system by towing), and I was hoping that this new gen PHEV would be able to do it. The spy photo mule that was running around had a tow hitch but that probably doesn't mean much. Hopefully the CES PHEV is true to form and it will have towing capacity.

The Gladiator also doesn't use the 2.0 Turbo, but is supposed to get the PHEV system. So will the Gladiator get the 2.0T PHEV (and likely have a sharply reduced towing capacity)? Or is there also going to be a 3.6L PHEV? And if so, will that also be available on the Wrangler?

Advertisement

Advertisement