Sponsored

First look at the Jeep Wrangler 4XE hybrid electric PHEV in the flesh!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
I wonder what the water-fording height is???
Yikes!
Has anyone seen what happens to RC car Lipo batteries when they get wet inside, too hot, too cold, hit hard???
Yikes!
Just wondering because that’s the environment that Wranglers live in...
yikes.

So all we have so far is a logo, color scheme and a charging port? It's hard to get excited about this with no details to nerd out on.
I bet this is a display model and not an actual PHEV. They probably just added the cowl charge port and made blue logos & trim on a regular Rubicon. Oh, and the wheel paint is different too.

If you look closely, you can spot the red dashboard... shouldn't it be blue?
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-2.jpg
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'd bet it is a real working pre-production model. The press is too sharp to pull off a badge job. Besides, they've most certainly had a good number of test mules out there running around right in plain sight. This close to the release date, there is no reason not to have a real one there. Wait until Roman and the boys at TFL start crawling all over it and they'll start giving us the details.

Sponsored

Night Ryder

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chrysler 200, Honda Odyssey
THe
I wonder what the water-fording height is???
Yikes!
Has anyone seen what happens to RC car Lipo batteries when they get wet inside, too hot, too cold, hit hard???
Yikes!
Just wondering because that’s the environment that Wranglers live in...
They're going to rate it for 30" like every other Wrangler. It ought to be just as capable off road/in the mud as the E-Torque 4 cylinder. Take a look at that underside pic Jeep-Noob took. Everything is tucked up high

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
That is the electric light colour coming from the display
It's not just the lighting. You can tell the decals and badging are really outlined in blue...and it even specifically mentions the blue accents in the article. ;)

Visually, the PHEV Jeeps look to be differentiated from their gas-only counterparts by a number of blue accents. In addition to prominent hood decals, the Jeeps' badges -- including the Trail-Rated logo -- are outlined in blue, which looks great against the show cars' gray paint.

ExitLeft

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Got this one from someone on Facebook
fb_img_1578142387796-jpg.jpg
Hybrid Electric Pages? That'll disappear 6 months after purchase (insert sarcasm). Then what?? LOL :LOL:
Seriously though, while I may not be in the market for it, I'm very curious/excited to see how this turns out.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Courtesy of Jeep-Noob who's at the show
64b9f188-187f-411e-ad90-a26fb343ee44-jpeg-jpg.jpg
3cd2ae08-7bc7-4890-8e48-ece619319fb9-jpeg-jpg.jpg

Got this one from someone on Facebook
fb_img_1578142387796-jpg.jpg
They did a pretty good job with the battery placement. It is not any lower than the 2.0 eTorque battery, it just looks like it must be larger/longer. It's not any lower than the resonator on the exhaust. And it has what looks to be the same fuel tank as the non-EV models, so it should have 30+ miles better range when fully charged.

It would be interesting to see an underside pic of the front so we know what base motor we are dealing with.

You can also see the battery coolant lines draped over the driver side framerail.

I think from the earlier spy pics it could be seen that the front axle of this thing will have CV shafts. It's very cool that you can also schedule the charge times.

I'm optimistic about the pricing on this. It doesn't appear radically different from the packaging on the eTorque models. It will be more expensive than eTorque for sure... but will it be more than the diesel option? Maybe not...

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
LOL....yeah....NOTHING looks like it could go wrong with that position.
If you are regularly running double black rock trails, yes, I agree, it will get in the way, and this will not be for you. But really it it not that much lower than the EVAP on a JK. In a stock configuration the transfer case skid, trans crossmember, and forward section of the gas tank take the worst direct blows anyways. By the time you are cresting something the aft section of the gas skid usually just drags, which is about the same as what will happen to this battery skid. It's not for hard core rocks where you're at risk of regular and really hard direct blows to the battery skid. I'll agree with that.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
LOL....yeah....NOTHING looks like it could go wrong with that position.
Looks like it has better protection than the fuel tank.

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Same EVAP that JK owners are constantly cracking?

Seems ill-suited to a Rubicon package then....since rockcrawling is primarily what it's marketed to.
Only EVAP JK cracking failure that I'm aware of is the port that goes between it and the gas tank, and I don't think that has anything to do with the location of the EVAP skid. It's a fitting on top of the gas tank. Personally I occasionally hit the EVAP and have an Evo skid over it, but don't hit it with near the regularity of everything well in front of it.

There's rocks and then there's rocks. I'm pretty sure this thing will make it through Jeep's negotiation of the Rubicon. It seems unlikely that anyone is buying this expecting to take it through JV or similar stuff.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Well, being smaller in surface area definitely helps. Just seems pretty vulnerable....but to be honest, where else are they going to put it?

As discussed earlier....seems like electrification on this non-dedicated platform makes a lot of compromises. It's the nature of the beast when you retrofit something that wasn't initially designed to perform a certain function.
I would say just as vulnerable as anything else under there, and my differentials are scraped up more than anything else down there. Obviously when you purpose build something like you have you have the luxury of putting the components where you need them to fit your specific needs. You really can't have a fully dedicated rock crawler that isn't good for anything else as a mass produced vehicle. But fortunately this hybrid is only an option and nobody is forcing anyone to buy it, so if you don't think it will fit a specific direction for a build, then you just get the Jeep you want.

For someone like me who daily drives the Jeep to work, church and grocery store (but never to the mall :lipssealed:) and only off roads on a few weekends this would be an interesting option.
Sponsored