Sponsored

First look at the Jeep Wrangler 4XE hybrid electric PHEV in the flesh!

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Here it is: https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/jeep-wrangler-compass-renegade-4xe-plug-in-hybrid-ces-2020

Sounds like more details in March.

Jeep is planning to offer an electrified powertrain in every one of its vehicles by 2022, and we're getting our latest glimpse of those efforts here at CES 2020 this week. This is the first time Jeep is showing its new plug-in hybrid models -- all of which wear 4xe badges -- ahead of their respective rollouts throughout the year.

The Compass, Renegade and Wrangler will all benefit from Jeep's new plug-in hybrid powertrain, though we don't yet have any specifics on electric range, fuel economy or even the accompanying gas engine. In fact, it's unclear if all three will use the same engine/battery setup, or if multiple versions are in the works.

Visually, the PHEV Jeeps look to be differentiated from their gas-only counterparts by a number of blue accents. In addition to prominent hood decals, the Jeeps' badges -- including the Trail-Rated logo -- are outlined in blue, which looks great against the show cars' gray paint.

As for when the official details will be available, we won't have to wait too long. Jeep confirmed the Wrangler 4xe will debut at the Geneva Motor Show in March, with the Compass and Renegade showing up in April, at the New York Auto Show and the Beijing Motor Show, respectively.

Jeep's plans for electrification have already started, with the company's new eTorque mild-hybrid system in the 2019 Wrangler. In addition to the new range of 4xe models, Jeep is expected to launch a fully electric vehicle or two, as well.

jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-1.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-2.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-3.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-4.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-5.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-6.jpg
jeep-wrangler-4xe-phev-hybrid-electric-7.jpg

Admin edit: added some more photos of the blue accents.

2020 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid.jpg
2020 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid 1.jpg
2020 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid 2.jpg
2020 Jeep Wrangler 4xe hybrid 3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
Gotta admit, pretty tempted to cancel my order and roll the dice. Just got solar last year as well

....butttttnaw. I'll give it a year or two.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JEEPN X 4

JEEPN X 4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
Shut up and get in my driveway.

I'm so glad it's a drivetrain selection on a Rubi and not some compromised mall crawler special edition.
Same. Need to know the range now, and what the payload/tow capacity is. Can't wait for more details.

Rubidozer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2018 Jeep JLUS
I wonder what the water-fording height is???
Yikes!
Has anyone seen what happens to RC car Lipo batteries when they get wet inside, too hot, too cold, hit hard???
Yikes!
Just wondering because that’s the environment that Wranglers live in...

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
I wonder what the water-fording height is???
Yikes!
Has anyone seen what happens to RC car Lipo batteries when they get wet inside, too hot, too cold, hit hard???
Yikes!
Just wondering because that’s the environment that Wranglers live in...
:CWL: maybe there will be buckets of sand every couple of miles on the highways.

My backyard prior to last year:

upload_2020-1-7_16-17-35.png

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
Too many variables on this one, but I admit it could come across my radar in a few years. Let them work the bugs out. Somehow I imagine it won’t be a “plug and play” situation.

Sponsored

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Gotta admit, pretty tempted to cancel my order and roll the dice. Just got solar last year as well

....butttttnaw. I'll give it a year or two.
Jeep can’t get a steering box right these days, you think they’re going to get this right the first shot? Highly doubtful!!! Maybe in a few years but definitely not now, not for me anyway. This will be the fourth power plant in the JL’s short life, too much to soon!!

Melny67

First Name
Melvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep jlu
Jeep can’t get a steering box right these days, you think they’re going to get this right the first shot? Highly doubtful!!! Maybe in a few years but definitely not now, not for me anyway. This will be the fourth power plant in the JL’s short life, too much to soon!!
I'm pretty sure the power plant and the battery were pulled from a different vehicle. It all depends one how much research and development they had. My only concern is cost if the diesel version is pricey how much would this one cost.

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
Not that excited by the PHEV part, but whoa...loving the paint scheme and accents!

The gunmetal with blue accents hits mighty close to home. :rock:

upload_2020-1-7_21-36-58.png

What a matched pair that would make!

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
So all we have so far is a logo, color scheme and a charging port? It's hard to get excited about this with no details to nerd out on.
Sponsored