Sponsored

First look at production 2.0L 4-Cylinder Turbo Hurricane engine

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
The 2.0 is getting pretty crazy complex with the turbo and the BSG. That's a big reason I'm going with the Pentastar.
Complex doesn't always mean bad, otherwise we'd all still use Fordomatics (2 speed automatic transmission) lol.
Sponsored

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S P85+ / Subaru Baja Turbo 5-Speed
Yea, I'm fine with complexity. Engineering is good. I'm sort of a horsepower above all else kinda guy. More powerrrrrr!

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
a good tune takes time + is complex as some manufacturers make it hard to "get into" the ECU. fuel needs to be added to xtra boost to prevent blessed pistons aka holyies in them!! also proper timing as well comes into play to make the best power SAFELY!!!

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If there is a market for it, it'll get done quickly. I imagine there will be a very small market for it until they throw the Hurricane in the Challenger and other, more enthusiast, vehicles.

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all street going engines have limitations! take the 2.3 ford ecoboost, it does fine in the mustang but when pushed to 350 hp in the focus rs there are reports of quite a few blown head gaskets, as well as cracked blocks. a LOT of power can be made with forced induction but everything else must be up to it!!!

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Honda re-designed their Accord this year with a 1.5L turbocharged engine replacing the prior 2.4L normally aspirated engine. The two engines have similar horsepower figures but the 1.5 outmuscles the old 2.4 by 7 horsepower and 11 lb-ft and delivers both far lower in the rev range. Fuel economy on the EPA cycle has gone from 26 / 34 to 29 / 35, because under steady-state low-horsepower conditions the 1.5L has less mechanical loss than the 2.4L.

In short, going to the smaller engine with the turbo allowed Honda to have more horsepower and torque (at a lower RPM) while also improving fuel economy on the EPA cycle by roughly 6-7%. Along with the BSG (technology that the Honda doesn't have), that may allow the Wrangler to get as much as 20mpg in the city and 24mpg highway with the Hurricane. This may not be Prius territory, but it is still far better than the 16/20 of the outgoing JK. A 20% improvement in fuel economy compared to the outgoing model is *huge*.
The Honda Accord 1.5T produces max torque of 192 lb.ft at 1,600-5,000 RPM. 192 HP at 5,500 RPM
The Honda Accord 2.0T produces max torque of 273 lb.ft at 1,500-4,000 RPM. 252 HP at 6,500 RPM

The 2.0T uses an IHI RHF5 Mono scroll turbo.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Sad thing is even Ford engineers stated that they got their performance numbers from 93 Octane, which is silly considering how uncommon that is in general.
Sure you can get it in pretty much any city, but definitely not at every station, especially the further you get from large population centres.
Here in Alabama/ the Southern US, 93 is available at virtually every gas station as premium gas. I dont think I have ever seen premium sell at as anything below 93 here.

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ethanol can be hard to find but that stuff is amaaaazing. Magic juice.

Sponsored

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes you can make big power with alky style fuels BUT EVERYTHING must be set up for it!! where the cheap E-85 is available it will be consumed @ a very high rate negating any savings + modern E-85 cars surely are NOT tuned to make big power. talk is cheap + making big power reliably is NOT!!! my 2001 1.8T VW went 200,000 before trading with no engine issues + it was not stock!!! about 300 TQ + 275 HP. wondering does anyone do tunes that can easily be downloaded like the VAG line of vehicles. you can get a little more with a naturally aspirated engine but a LOT more can be had with forced induction especially when cooling DI is in the mix. OE's tune very conservatively for reliability + generally a TUNE will VOID your warranty!!!

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moar powah! Reliability is for nerds :D

thenewrick

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's too bad they didn't offer the enthusiast motor/trans options. That's typical because the enthusiast options often don't sell well without a special badge like M for BMW. Also, I imagine they often lead to more crashes and hooliganism. Jeep probably needs to expand their SRT line, or call it something else. I feel like they haven't decided yet if it's going to be SRT, their Cat/Demon/Hawk nomenclature of another. They really should be offering something to compete with the M's and Raptors of the world though. It's great to have a halo vehicle. All they need is a big engine and manual option for each body style and call it the Trailhawk or something.

I'm leaning towards a performance tuned 4 cyl turbo for the 2-door or a V8 for the Unlimited. It makes a lot of sense. You know a V8 Unlimited Rubicon Trailhawk for $60k would sell like hotcakes too and have a huge profit margin.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
all the technology is out there to build an engine to a desired performance function, BUT it depends on what the bean counters $$$ @ FCA will allow!! thank god for warranties because there WILL be issues with a newly designed FCA 2.0T because FCA is prolly cheaper than most other manufacturers witnessed by their LACK of engine advancements thru the latest years, when building a powerful smaller displacement engine better aka more costly quality parts are needed, BUT time will tell who has made the best guess!!! one thing for sure is MPG's + emissions will be the ruling factor!!!! on the MPG's its known that the REAL WORLD is quite different than the test circuit used to determine MPG's also of course is the NUT behind the wheel as his objective is NOT to get the best MPG rating!!! all very interesting + speculative for sure!!!
Sponsored