Sponsored

First look at production 2.0L 4-Cylinder Turbo Hurricane engine

Ramius Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 3500 SLT 4x4
268, 295...
There is no way Jeep will offer a 268HP engine as an option that is LESS POWERFUL than the pentastar.
Who will pay more for a more expensive engine yet have less HP? And the turbo will definitely be less fuel efficient as all other turbos are and v6 are more fuel efficient.
Also 268 is yesterday's tech. All new 2.0 T have at least 310.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Was just grabbing the links when B95 beat me to a reply, but just to add to his post...

There is no way Jeep will offer a 268HP engine as an option that is LESS POWERFUL than the pentastar.
Who will pay more for a more expensive engine yet have less HP?
Because it would have more torque, which is often more important to Wrangler owners.
People who benefit from a turbo at altitude.
Also people who buy into the concept it will save them fuel costs, as misguided as that may seem to some due to the cost of fuel in their area.

There’s a lot more to it than just HP.

All new 2.0 T have at least 310.
Not by a long shot.

VW is a perfect example of the opposite focus, and it’s brand new with 184HP / 221lbft, but also likes to run on 87 octane too (which the Wrangler can also though it prefers 91);
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...w-b-cycle-engine-for-improved-efficiency.html

BMW updated theirs last year for the 2017 models to 248/258;
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-bmw-330i-automatic-tested-review

Chevy’s 2.0T has 252/260, and it only recently replaced the aging 3.6 in the 2017 Equinox;
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-chevrolet-equinox-20t-first-drive-review

The facts don’t match what you’re selling.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
Who will pay more for a more expensive engine yet have less HP? And the turbo will definitely be less fuel efficient as all other turbos are and v6 are more fuel efficient.
Ah, I should take care of a nickname earlier. We've met already on the web.

I don't know driver's habits in the North America but here in Europe no way that you will end up with less fuel efficiency with 2.0 turbo compared to gigantic naturally aspirated V6. Also turbo 4 has way more power where it matters.

2.0 turbo with 300 or more is usually an expensive or performance engine. So take a look at Jaguar's 25t models, BMW's 25i, 28i or 30i, similar with Merc or Audi. All are topped by Alfa which has 2.0 280 HP engine in the line-up. And that 2.0 is a cousin of this one inside of Wrangler.

Budagreg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon 2-Door Turbo, 2012 BMW 328i, 1999 Miata, 38' Fleetwood Expedition RV
Our 2012 BMW 328i 2.0 turbo with 240hp goes like stink with the 8 speed and gets 28/40mpg!
I'll be getting the turbo/8sp 2 door Rubi as soon as they are available!

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
268 HP/295 lbs.ft. on the Hurricane engine. Those are good numbers. The torque will feel great, much better than the P-star. And, forced induction engines can pick up huge power gains from a simple tune.

Sponsored

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
and the cost of gas will be higher as well... I know I am paying premium gas $$$ right now... if it was bigger horse power, I would be ok with it... but if there is a cheaper option in the V6, with more power, on reg. pump gas... well that would be the better option for me... I am still leaning JT diesel.

TxTravisty

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 OUTLANDER SPORT, 2008 BUICK ENCLAVE, 1933 CHEVY COUPE, 1968 MUSTANG
I would also like to take a second to thank all the admins. for the overwhelming flood of information the past week or so... you guys are awesome!!!!
:clap:

Last edited:

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
It's going to be similar to the Alfas output...

The new 2.0-liter unit, codenamed Hurricane, will feature advanced technologies such as direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, and a twin-scroll turbocharger. According to Automotive News’sources, the engine will also feature an aluminum block and is expected to have nearly 300 hp. Alfa Romeo’s upcoming Guilia sedan will be the first vehicle to use a newly developed 2.0-liter turbo-four that features direct injection, turbocharging, and FCA’s Multiair valve timing system. The engine produces 276 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, and it’s likely that the unit that find its way into the next-gen Wrangler will be related to the one found in the Giulia.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
It's going to be similar to the Alfas output...

The new 2.0-liter unit, codenamed Hurricane, will feature advanced technologies such as direct fuel injection, variable valve timing, and a twin-scroll turbocharger. According to Automotive News’sources, the engine will also feature an aluminum block and is expected to have nearly 300 hp. Alfa Romeo’s upcoming Guilia sedan will be the first vehicle to use a newly developed 2.0-liter turbo-four that features direct injection, turbocharging, and FCA’s Multiair valve timing system. The engine produces 276 hp and 295 lb-ft of torque, and it’s likely that the unit that find its way into the next-gen Wrangler will be related to the one found in the Giulia.
To be precise. Alfa's engine is SOHC because of MultiAir. It has GDI, twin scroll turbo. Water to air intercooler.
And precise numbers are 280 and 305 lb ft of torque at 2000 rpm.

Based on previous leaked documents Wrangler engine is not MultiAir. So it should be a DOHC with dual VVT. Also it could have two valve lift modes similar to upgraded version of Pentastar.
Is it a twin scroll turbo inside?
Is it a water to air intercooler there? I hope so because in other case with air to air intercooler it will be a huge number of overheats on trails.

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
You can comment if GME T4 D is mediocre once when it hits the market. From what I heard about torque numbers and at which rpm it hits maximum torque I must say that I'll always pick it before GM 2.0 turbo engine.

Engine capacity has nothing with European market. You Americans are constantly repeating that nonsense. We switched to CO2 taxation long time ago. Of-course that Pentastar V6 is inferior to GME T4 D when we are talking about fuel economy. And finally our cheapest gasoline fuel is equivalent to your Premium. Something what even GM asked to be implemented on North American soil.

Sponsored

Dim

First Name
Dimitri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Passat CC - Volvo XC70 - Ducati Monster 900 carbs - Ducati Hypermotard - Ducati Panigale -
Occupation
self employed
The 3.6 is the only motor slated to be paired with a manual.
and with the 8 speed do you think it will be a great couple?

kidney

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Italian
I don't know what you are expecting from 2.0 turbo. But I can assure you that GME T4 D has better numbers than 2nd generation 2.0 liter Ford EcoBust.

Also Giulia's engine beats its direct competitors with 280 HP. The story will be closed with launch of 350 HP version. AFAIK it will happen next year in New York.
Sponsored