Sponsored

First look at body color painted hard top on 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
No, you are not the only one, it's bugging me too, and others have commented on it in other threads. I think we've all been hoping that it's some pre-production glitch that will be fixed prior to production deliveries, but I have yet to see any photos that don't show a misaligned rear window, so those hopes may be too optimistic.

To me, both the top and bottom of the soft rear window appear misaligned, but I think the misalignment at the top edge is an optical illusion due to the contrast with the body-colored rear door frame. On a black Wrangler, I think it would probably look OK. But the bottom edge of the soft window is just way off, regardless of body color.

Strangely, the 2-door versions of the soft top don't seem to have this anomaly. If I were in the market for a 4-door (still a possibility, although I've been leaning toward 2), I would definitely wait for an aftermarket solution to this problem if Jeep doesn't fix it pronto.
Post your concerns here post #188

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-tops-including-likely-power-top.1381/page-13
Sponsored

Aaron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 C7 Corvette Stingray
Am I the only one whose OCD kicks in when I see the misalignment between windows on the soft top? That back window not aligning with the front/middle windows is like nails on a chalkboard. I'm almost driven to not get a soft or dual top combo because of it.
I completely agree. I can't stand it. I really wanted a soft top or power top. I refuse to pay for something that poorly designed so I either have to wait another half year for the power top or buy a JKU

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
Looks good. But I'll have to see it in the other colors before I can make up my mind on black or painted top.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Am I the only one whose OCD kicks in when I see the misalignment between windows on the soft top? That back window not aligning with the front/middle windows is like nails on a chalkboard. I'm almost driven to not get a soft or dual top combo because of it.
The last I dared to mention it, it was made clear to me just how wrong I am. What I call "misaligned", are wonderful picture windows that allow way more light into the vehicle, and gives the driver a much increased panoramic view.

I must drive funny because I rarely look directly out the rear side windows, and on the driver's side rear side window, I doubt that such is even possible.

Sponsored

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
If you're going to vinyl wrap the car, it's best to order it in a color that's closest to the color you're wrapping in. What color are you thinking of for the wrap?

Best colors for resale are the most popular purchased colors which are usually the basic colors like black, white, silver, gray.
http://usat.ly/1J2TwZ1

Definitely not yellow or green if concerned about resale

If wrapped, I would go black. When you have the wrap removed, the brand new black finish will be an easy sell or trade.
Haha, not green or yellow. That's gonna be my wrapped colors. Matte/Satin green with yellow accents (like rock sliders, bumpers, hooks, etc). Green Bay Packers fan here.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The last I dared to mention it, it was made clear to me just how wrong I am. What I call "misaligned", are wonderful picture windows that allow way more light into the vehicle, and gives the driver a much increased panoramic view.

I must drive funny because I rarely look directly out the rear side windows, and on the driver's side rear side window, I doubt that such is even possible.
The great thing about a Jeep is that there are so many things you can do to correct things you don't like, such as this. There will be aftermarket soft tops and hard tops.

It's ok for you guys to come out and admit you don't like this. I admire the courage it must have taken to do that. In fact, I'm fighting back tears right now over it. Heck, I might even follow your lead and admit there is something I don't like.

Well....umm......Nah!

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Haha, not green or yellow. That's gonna be my wrapped colors. Matte/Satin green with yellow accents (like rock sliders, bumpers, hooks, etc). Green Bay Packers fan here.
Depending on which data you look at, you may be in luck with green or yellow!
https://www.today.com/money/car-colors-best-resale-value-it-s-not-black-or-t101509
While the most popular colored cars (white, black, silver) will resell fastest, less common colored cars (orange, yellow, green) reap a higher resale value ... based on a study of 1.6 million cars. It's weird that a rep from Kelley Blue Book would say otherwise. I'd like to see that data.

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going with black hard top & black fender flares to break up the color. It just looks more rugged, more like a Jeep to me.

Sponsored

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
Any speculation on what the vehicles are which are still completely covered?
Probably saving the power top or some new feature for the reveal. Got to have some surprises left...

Leconst17

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thanks for sharing the photos. I just order myself a Rubicon JLU Bilet Silver with black wheels and chrome trim (that was an option on the order guide) however what I don't know is what the "steel bumper option" as that was an option on the dealers order guide that I did not select. So in this case I am not sure what the bumpers will look like. Does anyone know?

AZCrawl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Granite Jeep JLUR
Thanks for sharing the photos. I just order myself a Rubicon JLU Bilet Silver with black wheels and chrome trim (that was an option on the order guide) however what I don't know is what the "steel bumper option" as that was an option on the dealers order guide that I did not select. So in this case I am not sure what the bumpers will look like. Does anyone know?
They are steel bumpers that are winch ready and the end caps can be removed to fit larger tires. Check out a 2017 Recon to see what they look like.
Sponsored