Sponsored

First long drive in the JL

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
Took my longest drive today in my JLUR, from my house in MD to just outside of Pittsburgh PA and back, about 420 miles total and 8 hours behind the wheel. Today was about the worst weather you want to be driving on the curvy PA turnpike, but I've been making this drive for over 25 years and know the roads pretty well. Having said that I saw at least 7 single vehicle accidents with one vehicle upside down, they all were on the straight parts of the road.

Comfort wise the JL was very comfortable, although I may consider installing a "dead pedal" for another driving position, seats were fine. HVAC works perfect no fogging at all (temp dropped to 50 degrees) set and forget at 71 degrees The JL was absolutely water tight and I felt safe and secure in the JL.

The LED headlights are great never needed the high beams and I left at 5:30 am with driving rain the whole drive. I did experience a kamakazi pigeon (I believe) came from nowhere right into the passenger side bumper, just caught a quick glance of light gray and white color and a soft thunk into the steel bumper.

Uconnect worked fine too, except CarPlay would disconnect sometimes and would not list all of the artists in my Spotify directory.

Mileage was disappointing I will contribute it to the wind and rain, I averaged about 19-20 mpg (23 mpg?) running 65-70 mph mostly, also the wind had the JL moving around in the lane a bit two hands on the wheel was needed. Grip was very good in the wet, I was a bit apprehensive at first but never felt it loosing traction. I was able to drive about 415 miles on a single tank of gas, driving until the display read "low fuel" for a while and the refill took 20 gallons (usually I refill 17-18).

I used cruise mostly and the 8 speed tranny kept it in the right gear and it went up those mountain roads well (some vehicles I had would make a big downshift mid way going up) and seemed to always be in the right gear, and keep the same speed on the steep down hill runs.

So for me I would give the JL a rating of "B" for the drive with the mileage and wandering in the lane (wind?) keeping if from getting a "B+ or A-". ODO now reads 5,800 miles and Oil life indicates 25% so time to take it in for an Oil change....
Sponsored

Medictrode

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2017 Ram 2500 Power Wagon
I did a trip to Lancaster a few weeks ago right after I got my Rubicon and it was a great drive overall. I can see me doing my normal drive to Key West in it with the JetSki in tow. The only issue I had was the gas pedal, to me feeling a bit to upright causing my ankle to be sore if that makes any sense. Back in June I rented a Dodge Journey while in the Keys and I noticed the same thing. Could just be me, but it makes me have to pull my foot back too much to maintain speed in traffic which gets kinda annoying. Yes the cruise control helps, but when in heavy traffic like you get all around Philly, cruise isn't an option.

I didn't/don't have that issue with my '17 RAM, my old 13' JK and my 2009 Impala beater car. Curious if others notice the same thing but didn't want to start a new thread with such a stupid question..

In regards to carplay.... I can't stand it personally. It is very intrusive IMO and annoying when you get texts, or someone else is using your phone because any time you touch the uConnect display it changes the phones actions... I went into settings>General>Restrictions and blocked carplay.. I prefer to just use bluetooth for audio, and activate Siri via the Steering wheel button if I need anything. Works better and is less intrusive.

Nomad

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
In a week I'll be taking a vacation and driving about 400 miles each way. I appreciate the preview!

KrispyKotex

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2dr Rubicon Snazzberry
Occupation
USN Submariner (ret), IT Analyst/Network Engineer
I drove mine from Southern IL to Oklahoma City. I used CarPlay for most of the time. The one largest things that bothered me was that my iPhone maps would work great on my iPhone, but when I started any route using CarPlay, it would think I was starting back at my home in Southern IL. This has happened to me on several occasions in IL also. It takes CarPlay about 5 mins to sync back up to where I actually am. It's like the jeep is thinking its home when I start from any location......weird. Other than that, the compass would not function sometimes; still trying to figure out why...might have been an alien craft causing interference??? :)

Sponsored

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I drove mine from Southern IL to Oklahoma City. I used CarPlay for most of the time. The one largest things that bothered me was that my iPhone maps would work great on my iPhone, but when I started any route using CarPlay, it would think I was starting back at my home in Southern IL. This has happened to me on several occasions in IL also. It takes CarPlay about 5 mins to sync back up to where I actually am. It's like the jeep is thinking its home when I start from any location......weird. Other than that, the compass would not function sometimes; still trying to figure out why...might have been an alien craft causing interference??? :)
The compass is a well known problem. Research the forum and you’ll be advised to drive very slowly in circles, I believe.

steelrain82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
Now that I've been able to drive my jeep for awhile, I totally agree with you about the gas and break pedals. I have arthritis in both of my knees but my right knee always starts to hurt do to the angle of the pedals. I don't even have to drive far distances. It isn't so bad if I place my leg at an angle that causes it to rest up against the shifter for 4WD. It is annoying so hopefully someone will come out with an aftermarket part that makes the angle more manageable. I doubt it, but a person can hope

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
T

Mileage was disappointing I will contribute it to the wind and rain, I averaged about 19-20 mpg (23 mpg?) running 65-70 mph mostly, also the wind had the JL moving around in the lane a bit two hands on the wheel was needed.
Disappointing? I'd call that pretty damn good for a Rubicon, amigo.

Sponsored

MartyParty

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport, Ocean Blue
Did Queen Creek (east Phoenix area valley) to Vegas last month. The best part was the trails literally off the 93 before Hoover Dam. Went from the highway to 4lo in two minutes...that was cool.
The 4 door Sport and those 245/75’s got 24 mpg on the way back...no biggie.

E89E5BFB-983C-4098-8242-440C09BAA575.jpeg

0AAF544B-10A7-4566-91E6-5189EE5B94B9.jpeg

swozey

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I get this crazy right leg nerve pinch after about 4-5 hours. Never felt it in any of the 20ish cars I've had in the past.
Sponsored