First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Per Manual:

Oil Life Reset
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I try to avoid "oil" threads but what you say is echoed by many. Mobil 1 does not meet Mopar's specs. I myself use Pennzoil for this reason (not that it friggin matters) and because it is less expensive but also highly rated.

Spec calls for:
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine
Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.
Mobil 1 would exceed the 6395 spec. Many Chrysler/Jeep dealers fill customer vehicles with it on their premium oil changes, as does my dealer. The odds of them voiding a warranty claim over that issue are zero percent. Why? Because if it went to court, Mobil 1 would be subjected to their standard and it would easily exceed it. Mobil Super Synthetic is their bottom end oil and it meets the 6395 spec.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Is there really much of a difference between Mobil1 EP and Pennzoil UP?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Is there really much of a difference between Mobil1 EP and Pennzoil UP?
Yes. Read the product data sheet. The Pennzoil is an outstanding oil and would far exceed what the Pentastar needs or requires, but it is a Group III oil, with base stock refined from crude oil and/or natural gas. Mobil 1 EP has Group IV or PAO synthetic base stock, which is a true synthetic that has properties that can't be duplicated by a Group III. Look at the flash point and the pour point. The Mobil 1 EP has a higher flash point and a lower pour point. It can handle much longer oil change intervals. That said, Pennzoil UP has some things in the additive pack that are excellent, too. You simply could not go wrong with either. If it makes you sleep better to have that MS-6395 stamp, then go with the Pennzoil and know you are running one of the best oils on the market.

Any major brand of oil, and even some generics, like Wal Mart, are excellent oils and would do fine in the Pentastar, which again, is known for being pretty easy on oil, due to its lack of turbos and direct injection. I go with Mobil 1 mainly because I like the protection it offers at extremes that admittedly, I'll probably never encounter.

Sponsored

Man-of-methods

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR (His) 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS (Hers)
Vehicle Showcase
From my research scouring the internet there are two possible reasons:

1. Somewhere, someone, possibly from Mobil 1 said that Chrysler changed their testing requirements to two years in Vegas and Mobil 1 is 'still investigating' how they can go about implementing these new requirements 10 years later. Of course, this doesn't explain while Mobil Super still has the Chrysler rating and why every other oil manufacturer has managed to keep their certification.

2. Someone, somewhere, said that during the auto bailout/bankruptcy dark ages Mobil 1 threatened to withhold product if Chrysler didn't pay outstanding invoices, and so Chrysler immediately switched to Pennzoil as their main supplier and removed the Mobil 1 certification as retribution.

I have no idea what the truth is.

Taken from jeepoffroadadventures. It's always gonna be about money.

Why is Mobil-1 Not on MS-6395
As mentioned, Mobil-1 was included in the MS-6395 certification (as well as MS-10725 for other Chrysler vehicles) and Mobil products used in factory fills. Mobil-1 was even printed on the oil filler caps for some of Chrysler’s automobiles. As early as February 2009 Chrysler started phasing out Mobil and started using Pennzoil for factory fills. One explanation for the change, is SOPUS (Shell Oil Products US), parent of Pennzoil, was brought in with the purchase of Chrysler by Fiat. The assumption is Fiat had an established and stronger relationship with SOPUS.

Additional Information
Mobil Super & Super Synthetic, MS-6395 Certified
MS-6395 Specification as of July-2012
MS-6395 Certified Oils

Last edited:

TripleB

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ (Sold), 2013 JKUS (Sold), 2015 JKUR (Sold)
I get 4 oil changes for $70 from my dealer otherwise I would do it myself.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Other cars I've bought recommend running factory, "break in" oil for x amount of miles before changing it for the first time. Is it different for Mopar engines? 1100 miles seems really early.
Others also say that switching to sn
I get 4 oil changes for $70 from my dealer otherwise I would do it myself.
If you trust them, have at it. My dealers "oil change men" , not mechanics, forgot to put my oil fill cap back on my JL. I drove it for over a week like that! They left it in the front of engine bay. I didn't think to check behind them.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
That
I have never seen a filter system like this. What a great looking idea! No hot oil dripping all over the place, including up my sleeve? Sign me up!

Thanks for the write-up.
That was more wet with oil whenI took it out. But not terribly messy.

Sponsored

se7en

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon X / Zynith / 3.6 Auto / SOT / XR
Unsure if it's related but my milage is 1.2 mpg better since oil change...
Mine is, too, but I think it's the warmer weather as I only have 600 miles on the odo and no new oil. It suddenly got much better when the weather warmed a bit. It may be that the engine doesn't like the cold.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Mine is, too, but I think it's the warmer weather as I only have 600 miles on the odo and no new oil. It suddenly got much better when the weather warmed a bit. It may be that the engine doesn't like the cold.
I think in automatics the torque convertor clutch doesn't engage until the transmission fluid reaches normal operating temperature, which takes longer to happen in cold weather, so that could be it.

Specter491

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wranlger JL Sport S
Does the oil life reader actually measure/check anything about the oil? Or does it simply record the miles driven and/or hours driven to calculate the life of the oil?

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR

msujedi

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S Firecracker Red, 2014 Durango, 1999 Honda CRV
Vehicle Showcase
Mine has been climbing as well (no oil change yet). I'm around 600mi too. I think it has to do with a break-in period. I experienced the same with my 2014 Durango ... gas mileage improved between odo 500-600mi despite the fact that the temperature had dropped during that time.
Sponsored