First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

DHTex87

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 128i
So the OEM oil is not synthetic, I guess?
Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
For you guys/gals that are just getting up to speed/are going to do your own oil changes, do invest in a decent oil drain pan with a very good catch set-up. Do consider the well made and very functional, GarageBOSS 12.5 quart Oil Drain Pan with Funnel that can be had at amazon.com, eBAY and elsewhere. Will run you about $24 delivered but well worth the $. Will last for years and years.

51-TDmlg1CL.jpg

318QnLjcFgL.jpg

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Yes, now calls for 5 quarts of oil, not 6.

The 2018 3.6-liter Pentastar V6 offering ... engine displacement and outputs remain unchanged from 2017 at 285 horsepower (209 kW) and 260 pound-feet (353 Nm) with RPM peaks for those outputs also staying the same (6,400 and 4,800 respectively).

Has a lower compression ratio, down to 10.2:1 from 11.3:1, and a resulting lower oil and coolant requirement (down 1 liter for oil, 3 liters for coolant), this reduces vehicles wet weight.

Now rated at 17 mpg city, 23 mpg highway, 19 mpg combined (13.8/10.2/12.4 l/100km) for the standard transmission and 18/23/20 mpg (13.1/10.2/11/8 l/100km) for the automatic transmission-equipped model. This engine is now built in Saltillo, Coahuila, Mexico.
I thought the compression ratio was increased from 10.2 to 11.3.

https://www.allpar.com/mopar/V6/PUG-2015.php

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Can anyone confirm the type oil that is used for factory fill? Blend or full synthetic?

I've read some manufacturers may add special break in additives to the factory fill and you shouldn't change your oil too soon. Any truth to that or just a myth?

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Wait....you forgot a step. The very first step:

1) Open beer.
Actually, #1 should be before you do/start oil change procedure, do warm engine up to operating temperature. Beer comes later for you guys/gals that desire same. :beer:

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Can anyone confirm the type oil that is used for factory fill? Blend or full synthetic?

I've read some manufacturers may add special break in additives to the factory fill and you shouldn't change your oil too soon. Any truth to that or just a myth?
Consensus will probably be that factory puts in a synthetic blend. Most Gear Heads/Wrenches will tell you to change factory oil and oil filter at about 2-3 thousand miles and not before..

Sponsored

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
@1100 miles!
Jesus, why?

Also Mobil 1 does not have Chrysler's MS-6395 requirements. Why, I don't know.

Will it hurt your engine, probably not. Will they hoo-doo you when you have a warranty claim & they know you used an oil without the MS-6395 certification, probably so.

Reactions: RTJ

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
Consensus will probably be that factory puts in a synthetic blend. Most Gear Heads/Wrenches will tell you to change factory oil and oil filter at about 2-3 thousand miles and not before..
With all due respect - it's your Jeep. Do what you want.

The folks that designed the engine write the specs for maintenance. At the same time they have that nifty oil life monitor that runs a conservative schedule for changing the oil. Mileage isn't a hard on an engine as other factors that are all included in that oil life monitor. Just follow that and you're fine. Just don't exceed 10,000 miles between changes. The monitor will run out around 7500-8000 miles regardless.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Jesus, why?

Also Mobil 1 does not have Chrysler's MS-6395 requirements. Why, I don't know.

Will it hurt your engine, probably not. Will they hoo-doo you when you have a warranty claim & they know you used an oil without the MS-6395 certification, probably so.
I try to avoid "oil" threads but what you say is echoed by many. Mobil 1 does not meet Mopar's specs. I myself use Pennzoil for this reason (not that it friggin matters) and because it is less expensive but also highly rated.

Spec calls for:
Engine Oil Viscosity (SAE Grade) — 3.6L Engine
Mopar SAE 0W-20 engine oil approved to FCA Material
Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix or equivalent
is recommended for all operating temperatures. This
engine oil improves low temperature starting and vehicle
fuel economy.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
With all due respect - it's your Jeep. Do what you want.

The folks that designed the engine write the specs for maintenance. At the same time they have that nifty oil life monitor that runs a conservative schedule for changing the oil. Mileage isn't a hard on an engine as other factors that are all included in that oil life monitor. Just follow that and you're fine. Just don't exceed 10,000 miles between changes. The monitor will run out around 7500-8000 miles regardless.
I hear ya, don't shoot the messenger. I just repeated what many say, but I have my own ideas on same. I try to avoid "oil" thread crapola.

Matt The Hammer

First Name
Fake Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKUR and YJ
Occupation
Engineer
I try to avoid "oil" threads but what you say is echoed by many. Mobil 1 does not meet Mopar's specs. I myself use Pennzoil for this reason (not that it friggin matters) and because it is less expensive but also highly rated.
Oil threads do stink on ice... I echo your feeling. ha ha

I use the Valvoline synthetic from Walmart anymore. It's under $22 for a 5 qt jug now.

The Pentistar is fantastic for oil change ease for sure. My wife has a Subaru now. Other than it's lower, the ease of change for that is slightly better. How? The oil filter is a canister that screws on to the top of the engine. Right in the front too. No mess, no o-ring. No engine cover to remove. (not my picture below)

f8jSmmX.jpg
Sponsored