DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for pointing that out, as my other vehicles I use the Mobil-1 0w-20.

Mobil would sell a lot more if they printed the spec on their "download" pdf or on the back of the bottle.

It's kind of cryptic when the only place you find the MS6395 rating is on the view only spec page The downloadable PDF spec page does not list it.
The change was literally just made in the last couple of months. I don't think they've had time to adjust their labels. But I'm sure they will soon.

I never worried about it. Mobil 1 had it when I bought my 2008 JK in September of 2007 and then it went away (I knew why at the time). It's run Mobil 1 the almost the whole time. I have mostly run Mobil 1 in my JL, too. I've done a UOA on every oil change, so i've been ready for a battle that was never likely to occur. So now I can save a few bucks and only do it every now and then, even though I'm sorta addicted to seeing the data! LOL.
Sponsored

Last edited:

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
The change was literally just made in the last couple of months. I don't think they've had time to adjust their labels. But I'm sure they will soon.

I never worried about it. Mobil 1 had it when I bought my 2008 JK in September of 2007 and then it went away (I knew why at the time). It's run Mobil 1 the almost the whole time. I have mostly run Mobil 1 in my JL, too. I've done a UOA on every oil change, so i've been ready for a battle that was never likely to occur. So now I can save a few bucks and only do it every now and then, even though I'm sorta addicted to seeing the data! LOL.

What is this UAO you have done?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is this UAO you have done?
Used oil analysis. You send in a sample and they send you an analysis of it. I use Blackstone Labs out of Fort Wayne, In.

Av8Chuck

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
With all the best intentions I have needed to change my oil for the past month but I have not found the time to do it. For me the important thing is to get it done. Any suggestions on where to get it done?

I really dislike the local Jeep dealer, is Jiffy Lube a bad idea?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With all the best intentions I have needed to change my oil for the past month but I have not found the time to do it. For me the important thing is to get it done. Any suggestions on where to get it done?

I really dislike the local Jeep dealer, is Jiffy Lube a bad idea?
If you have a 3.6, Jiffy Lube can't do much to screw up the filter installation except to overtighten the cap. Maybe have them let you tighten it. And of course remind them 5 times that it only takes 5 quarts.

Tell them they'll get repeat business if they get the 5 quarts right and the correct 18 ft lbs on the filter cap.

Sponsored

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Dodge Dakota T56, 2015 Hemi Ram
With respect to the MS-6395 spec requirement in the 3.6L the 2022 manual states:

" We recommend using Mopar® SAE 0W-20 Full Synthetic Engine Oil which meets the requirements of the manufacturer Material Standard MS-6395. Equivalent full synthetic SAE 0W-20 engine oil can be used but must have the API Starburst trademark."

My Ram's manual does not have that last sentence which should allow for use of Mobil 1, especially with global supply chain issues currently going on. I have a bunch of Mobil 1 on hand from owning a 4Runner for 11 years so it would be a shame to not be able to use it in the Jeep. Just about all oil has the API trademark.

Reactions: AFD

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 now has MS6395 in the appropriate weights, so no worries about the fine print now.

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mobil 1 now has MS6395 in the appropriate weights, so no worries about the fine print now.
Well that chart with the "X's" on it doesn't really mean much from a certification stand point. The Mobil literature says "recommended" not that it meets the Chrysler spec or is approved. I agree it's stupid but I'm speaking to a technical requirement. The owners manual leaves enough leeway to use it in my opinion though.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well that chart with the "X's" on it doesn't really mean much from a certification stand point. The Mobil literature says "recommended" not that it meets the Chrysler spec or is approved. I agree it's stupid but I'm speaking to a technical requirement. The owners manual leaves enough leeway to use it in my opinion though.
A Mobi1 1 rep said it is "certified." With FCA gone and Stellantis in place, the fences have been mended. That oil FAR surpasses the requirements of MS6395 anyway, so there's not even a snowball's chance on Satan's taint of them denying a warranty claim over its use.

But you are right, the language in the manual also makes it a moot point.

Cntr78

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Anyone know the difference?

I can't imagine I'll actually see any fuel savings with the one and change the oil every 5-6k so don't need extended performance.

Is there another version I should be looking for?

Screenshot_20220312-104839.jpg

Sponsored

1BadManVan

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara/2018 Durango R/T
Occupation
Locomotive Engineer
Anyone know the difference?

I can't imagine I'll actually see any fuel savings with the one and change the oil every 5-6k so don't need extended performance.

Is there another version I should be looking for?

Screenshot_20220312-104839.jpg
Higher quality base stock in the Ep. But both will perform great if you want to save a couple bucks

Valpo Jeep

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mas Ghibli, 18 JLU, 05 Gulfstream RV
We just picked up a 2018 JL with 60K on it. I love the fact the filter is up top. Gonna use my extractor on the first change I do so I don’t have to get under it to pull the drain plug. Been using the extractor with my Audi for 80,000 miles now

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
A fellow just messaged me and asked about proper placement of the o-ring. He took the old o-ring off and did not pay attention where the o-ring was residing..

Anyway, I referred him to this thread and said read read ... and I also told him I would put this pic here that clearly shows o-ring placement.

He like some other's thought the o-ring would get rolled down/forced down lower then where the o-ring should actually reside. He was wise enough to double check in regard ot o-ring placement.

Jeep Wrangler JL First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS Mopar Oil Filter Housing Cap - 68191350AA

QwikKotaTx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
People keep saying fill the oil through the dipstick tube, why? It looks tiny and there is a fill cap for a reason, no? Can you just fill it back up through the filter housing or is the flow rate too slow?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
People keep saying fill the oil through the dipstick tube, why? It looks tiny and there is a fill cap for a reason, no? Can you just fill it back up through the filter housing or is the flow rate too slow?
I must have missed those posts.

There is no reason to fill through the "dipstick tube" or to pour into the hole where the oil filter cartridge resides... Just remove the oil fill cap and pour into that fill hole...
Sponsored