Sponsored

First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Had a Tech, from the local area call me up yesterday afternoon. He knew, I keep one of these around just in case. We talked about the cap in the past..

Anyway, they were doing an oil change and a newbie there, cracked/broke the cap. None in stock there and the 4th of July weekend was upon them. Did not want to upset their customer and/or have to give him a loaner. Asked me if he could have the cap I have and he would replace next week. I said yes, and he sent a guy over to pick it up.

IF you are doing your own oil changes, one of these caps sitting on your shelf, catching dust, is a good idea...good insurance. Mine had been sitting there for a couple of years. The cap for the 3.6 JL is the same as used on the 3.6 JK.,

Replacement Mopar 68191350AA Oil Filter Housing Cap .... if you over tighten and crack the cap:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TO1NX8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

index.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
Had a Tech, from the local area call me up yesterday afternoon. He knew, I keep one of these around just in case. We talked about the cap in the past..

Anyway, they were doing an oil change and a newbie there, cracked/broke the cap. None in stock there and the 4th of July weekend was upon them. Did not want to upset their customer and/or have to give him a loaner. Asked me if he could have the cap I have and he would replace next week. I said yes, and he sent a guy over to pick it up.

IF you are doing your own oil changes, one of these caps sitting on your shelf, catching dust, is a good idea...good insurance. Mine had been sitting there for a couple of years. The cap for the 3.6 JL is the same as used on the 3.6 JK.,
Great info! Thanks.

MyDaughters20JL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JL Sport S
while it's true that I only read the first 5 pages, I'm wondering.....
is there a drain valve or something on the bottom of the oil filter housing? wouldn't it be best to drain the filter housing of old oil as well?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Video explaining how not to damage your Engine Oil Filter Housing Cap's valve when you are changing your oil..

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
The spec's are different for the 2021 onward and maybe some other years for sure.

Sockets are metric 13mm and 24mm .. for the 3.6 Engine.
Mobil-1 oil could void the warrantee as JEEP calls for 5 Qts 0w20 oil that meets the MS-6395 specs. Look on the back of that mobil-1 and it's not listed.
Pennzoil and some others meet the specs.

When removing the oil filter from the cap be sure to pull it straight out and do not bend it and the cap pulling it apart. When putting the filter back in the cap make sure it snaps in place and can spin .

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
How will they know which brand of oil is in it should a warranty issue arise? As long as it's within weight specs, there's no way they could tell with a UOA.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The spec's are different for the 2021 onward and maybe some other years for sure.

Sockets are metric 13mm and 24mm .. for the 3.6 Engine.
Mobil-1 oil could void the warrantee as JEEP calls for 5 Qts 0w20 oil that meets the MS-6395 specs. Look on the back of that mobil-1 and it's not listed.
Pennzoil and some others meet the specs.

When removing the oil filter from the cap be sure to pull it straight out and do not bend it and the cap pulling it apart. When putting the filter back in the cap make sure it snaps in place and can spin .
Mobil 1 now is MS6395 certified. And there is no documented case of FCA denying a warranty based on use of Mobil 1 during the years it wasn't.

They have always known damned well that Mobil 1 oils would have far exceeded it's requirements. It was political and FCA would not allow M1 to be certified for a number of years.

But that's all moot now because it now carries the certification. So use it without worry, if it is what you like.

Stellantis, unlike FCA, has a strong relationship with Mobil 1, largely due to their CEO, Carlos Tevares.

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Mobil 1 now is MS6395 certified. And there is no documented case of FCA denying a warranty based on use of Mobil 1 during the years it wasn't.
? It is not saying it is MS6395 on the 0w-20 label.. so why do you think that?

see attached.

MOBIL-1-OIL.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
doesn't show it is MS6395 on the advance one either.

mobil-1 0w-20-advanced.jpg
Go to their website and download the product data sheet (PDS). It will show all of its approvals and specs.

I'm on the road right now but will show you when I get home.

I'll also mention that API SP/GF6 and GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 are far tougher specs to meet than MS6395. They'd never win if you used the proper viscosity and API rated oil. The wording of the owners manual also can easily be interpreted as allowing for the stated API spec for the model year.

And again, I've never seen. Jeep deny a warranty with the proper API spec and weight, even with no mention of MS6395.

But Mobil 1 expressly states it now on the PDS.

You also may have bottles produced before they returned to claiming to meet/exceed MS6395. But you can rest assured it easily surpasses it.

Sponsored

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Go to their website and download the product data sheet (PDS). It will show all of its approvals and specs.

I'm on the road right now but will show you when I get home.

I'll also mention that API SP/GF6 and GM Dexos 1 Gen 2 are far tougher specs to meet than MS6395. They'd never win if you used the proper viscosity and API rated oil. The wording of the owners manual also can easily be interpreted as allowing for the stated API spec for the model year.

And again, I've never seen. Jeep deny a warranty with the proper API spec and weight, even with no mention of MS6395.

But Mobil 1 expressly states it now on the PDS.

You also may have bottles produced before they returned to claiming to meet/exceed MS6395. But you can rest assured it easily surpasses it.

This is the link to the product approvals and spec. No where on it do I see MS6395.

Maybe I missed it, but I'm not seeing it under the regular oil ... ONLY Mobil "super" 5w20 which is used for aircraft and it is not available in 0w20 only available in other weights.

I am not seeing 0w20 in any mobil oil rated for MS6395.

https://www.mobil.com/en/lubricants...nded-performance-0w-20/#lightbox-pdsdatasheet

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Go to this page and scroll down on each page. Look carefully and you'll see it.....
M1 EP 0w20
M1 AFE 0w20
M1 Truck & SUV 0w20

Some of those charts also show 5w20 for MS6395, too.

M1 EP High Mileage 0w20 and 5w20 also have it, as does M1 High Mileage 0w and 5w20, Mobil Super 0w/5w20, "regular" M1 5w20, and all the Mobil Full Synthetic 0w/5w20 and 5w30, as well as the high mileage versions of those.

Mobil Full Synthetic and Super Synthetics, by the way, are their lower tier, lower performing oils. They are still very good, but don't have the more advanced base stocks and additives that the Mobil 1 premium brandings have. They have always had MS6395 because they didn't compete with FCA's favored top Shell brands like Rotella and Pennzoil Platinum. That tells a bit about how easy MS6395 is to achieve.

So it goes like this in order of status and performance:
Mobil 1 EP
Mobil 1 (Includes AFE and Truck/SUV)
Mobil Super Synthetic
Mobil Full Synthetic

And again, There was never a nanosecond that Mobil 1 oils in the FCA specified grades did not far exceed MS6395's standards. They were just not permitted to say so due to a political squabble between the companies when FCA aligned itself with Shell. (Pennzoil).

I think that about covers it.

FLTrailRider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 2dr
Thanks for pointing that out, as my other vehicles I use the Mobil-1 0w-20.

Mobil would sell a lot more if they printed the spec on their "download" pdf or on the back of the bottle.

It's kind of cryptic when the only place you find the MS6395 rating is on the view only spec page The downloadable PDF spec page does not list it.