First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Can you switch from one to another, say I find a good deal on Pennzoil? Or is that not recommended..
Yes, you can switch from one brand to another. This is stated by manufacturer's.
Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can you switch from one to another, say I find a good deal on Pennzoil? Or is that not recommended..
Yep, you sure can. You could even mix them. Some will scream over that, but you can. Heck, Mobil 1 says right on the bottle that you can mix it with other brands, even.

I've got an old F150 that has had all kinds of cocktails in it, with no issues. I've mixed stuff leftover in the garage, including mixing weights. I won't do that with my expensive Jeep, but that old 5.4 in the Ford doesn't seem to mind. It eats everything.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Here are some more thoughts...

- It takes 0w-20 that means it has to be full synthetic from factory because 0w-20 doesn't exist in Dino oil land.
- Dealer (and other forums) state it takes Pennzoil Platinum and that is what I will use for the life of this Jeep. With age comes wisdom, Pennzoil is high quality and Jeep recommends it so that's good enough for me.
- Service at dealer told me it takes full synthetic (even though owners manual says it doesn't but the 2.0L does)
- I'm total old school, that means at 500 miles I changed the oil and I'll do it again at 1,500 miles and for good measure 3,000 miles. OK... the 3k miles is TOTAL overkill I'll admit. And yes... at 500 miles it had already darkened slightly which didn't surprise me because those first few hundred miles everything is breaking in.
- I do all my own maintenance and stunts. Hands down I've never had a vehicle this easy to change oil on. 20 mins and you are done. I love the fact that it is 5 qts on the button. That means one 5qt jug emptied into that little powerhouse is all it takes. Keep your eye out at Wally World for Pennzoil 0w-20, it's a bit elusive to find there but it shows up once in awhile. It runs $28 but they screwed up and I got ti for $23. BTW, Wally World also carries the genuine Mopar oil filter for $10.
OW20 does come in blend, but not pure dino.

http://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/products/blends-conventional-oils/gold.html

Walmart carries Mopar stuff in the USA?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Personally I'd stick with full synthetic. I wouldn't bounce around, but that's just me. I guess you could bounce around between brands but I'm dealing with a major oil consumption issue in my '05 Highlander and it's enough to make my fly straight on this Jeep and stick with one brand and one version (full synthetic). Again others may have a much more relaxed attitude about this but I'm sticking to my guns on this :)

To the guy who posted the oil filter on Amazon, could you please send that link? I'm on Amazon right now and all I can find are $10 genuine filters. Thanks!

Sponsored

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
To the guy who posted the oil filter on Amazon, could you please send that link? I'm on Amazon right now and all I can find are $10 genuine filters. Thanks!
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chry...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SYG0BD5SQCGXETJ65B6F

Note: Amazon will give a pop up that says this filter is not good with 2018 Jeep Wrangler but that pop up is incorrect. The MO-349 is for the JL's 3.6L and in fact what that Amazon seller ships to you. I have been buying from this vendor for over 2 years now.

Last edited:

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Personally I'd stick with full synthetic. I wouldn't bounce around, but that's just me. I guess you could bounce around between brands but I'm dealing with a major oil consumption issue in my '05 Highlander and it's enough to make my fly straight on this Jeep and stick with one brand and one version (full synthetic). Again others may have a much more relaxed attitude about this but I'm sticking to my guns on this :)

Your consumption problem likely has nothing to do with the oil you have used.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
My local Wal Mart had the Mopar oil filter both for the newer and older Pentastars.
Cool, I've never seen Mopar at Walmart here in Canada.

Plus, pretty much any retailer I go to just carries FRAM.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
My local Wal Mart had the Mopar oil filter both for the newer and older Pentastars.
Was it the same # you stated earlier? I forgot it....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Was it the same # you stated earlier? I forgot it....
It is the Mopar 349. (I can't remember the letter prefix. The old one is the 744, I think.)

Sponsored

JeepU4IA

First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Dodge Charger R/T, 2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Okay, so you get two oil changes and two rotations per year with the Jeep wave program. I plan to take full advantage of that. But there is no mention of how long this is good for on the JL. Forever?

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Okay, so you get two oil changes and two rotations per year with the Jeep wave program. I plan to take full advantage of that. But there is no mention of how long this is good for on the JL. Forever?
2 years

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Can these two oil changes and two rotations per year (for 2 years in a row) with the Jeep Wave Program be used at any Jeep dealership. Say if you are driving out of state, can you pull into any Jeep dealership, state Jeep Wave program and I want and they oblige or what? Or has to be done at Jeep dealer that sold you the vehicle! Thanks in advance for your info on this!

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
Can these two oil changes and two rotations per year (for 2 years in a row) with the Jeep Wave Program be used at any Jeep dealership. Say if you are driving out of state, can you pull into any Jeep dealership, state Jeep Wave program and I want and they oblige or what? Or has to be done at Jeep dealer that sold you the vehicle! Thanks in advance for your info on this!
https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/jeep-wave/faqs.html

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired @ 55