OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Does the oil life reader actually measure/check anything about the oil? Or does it simply record the miles driven and/or hours driven to calculate the life of the oil?
It displays oil life by way of a percentage % reading. Before I changed it, it I read 86%
Sponsored

desertbuzz

First Name
Abbas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU
1000 miles .... hmmmm....
Here Jeep has the 1st oil change set @ 10,000 km (roughly 6,000 miles) . Or at least it was for my 2012 JKU.
JKO 400.jpg

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
sorry if this is already out there, but when are you guys doing your oil change intervals?

and is that true about 4 free oil changes as part of the jeep wave program?
I'm going to do about twice as often as the owner's manual specifies.

misanthrope

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Schwinn Homegrown
Occupation
Badass
I get 4 oil changes for $70 from my dealer otherwise I would do it myself.
sorry if this is already out there, but when are you guys doing your oil change intervals?

and is that true about 4 free oil changes as part of the jeep wave program?

You'll get 2 a year every year for free with the purchase of any JL as long as you participate in the Jeep Wave program..

https://www.mopar.com/jeep/en-us/care/jeep-wave/terms-and-conditions.html

Last edited:

Harleydz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
@1100 miles! Ok, I decided to get the first oil change completed. I had mild weather, for once, and since I plan to do all my own routine service and I want to run full synthetic, I just decided to get it done . First, a big shout out goes to @DanW for all his help. I decided to go with Mobile 1, "Extended Performance" I plan to do my own oil changes between 5/6k in the future. There's a lot of information out there, so do your own oil research. (let's not turn this thread into "what's the best oil" thread) . Anyway it's about as straight forward and easy as it gets. Having been raised doing my own oil changes, this one can be done in the amount of it would have taken me to pull the filter in some vehicles.

Steps:

#1 Set your drain pan
#2 Loosen the filter cap with 15/16ths socket. (top, front and center in engine bay)
#3 Drain oil in pan (don't miss) (1/2 socket first)
#4 Remove oil filter and pull apart from cap
#5 Remove old Ring withwstraight edgee Attatch new O Ring to cap and then press new filter into cap. (lightly run some oil on the new O ring before attaching to cap)
#6 After old drains, (5-10 minutes) , level ground is recommended.
#7 Clean pan with rag and replace oil drain nut w-1/2 "socket (do not over tighten quarter turn pass initial stop)
#8 Pull dipstick, and fill with 5 quarts!
#9 Wipe dipstick and check oil leverl (new oil is hard to see on the stick)
#10 I drove it, got it hot, and rechecked the oil level. 5 QUARTS IS IT!

Side notes: To get the $sale on the oil that was running I needed to buy 5 quarts with a filter ($32.99). They only had the Purolator filter. Cross referenced from Mopar # (see pics) Same filter as in the 2016 GCGC and up.

More notes: While driving on my "get it hot" drive I I checked the cluster display under Oil Life. It still showed 86‰. After getting home I turned vehicle off, re-checked the oil level.. then put the vehicle in run mode {2 button presses with for off brake} Pressed the gas pedal to the floor 3 times, then re-checked the cluster display. It read 100‰

Last notes: The original filter looked good after 1100 miles. The Purolator I had to get (only one they had) is rated @5k miles. So my next change may come a bit earlier than the planned 5/6k changes.

I checked the old oil with a magnet and didn't notice any metal shavings.

20180211_110335.jpg
20180211_132151.jpg
20180211_132128.jpg
20180211_110411.jpg
20180211_113407.jpg
20180211_114436.jpg
Did you have to pay to recycle the old oil? Like take it to Auto Zone? Thanks

Harleydz

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grand Cherokee Summit
It is not likely synthetic oil for the factory fill, but rather bulk conventional oil. It is also not necessary to use break in additives. Break in doesn't last that long.
Not so sure about JL bit my 3.6 Gramd Cherokee Summit came with Pennzoil simi synthetic. My second oil change went to full synthetic Pennzoil reccommended by my dealer. So I'll do the same with a JLU when i decide to buy.
Not sure yet as payments will be about 600.00 again and lose a 50K vehicle with 48000 miles on it and. And i am not a youngen like most on here. 81 when pay off. Ouch. Great forum guys.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some more thoughts...

- It takes 0w-20 that means it has to be full synthetic from factory because 0w-20 doesn't exist in Dino oil land.
- Dealer (and other forums) state it takes Pennzoil Platinum and that is what I will use for the life of this Jeep. With age comes wisdom, Pennzoil is high quality and Jeep recommends it so that's good enough for me.
- Service at dealer told me it takes full synthetic (even though owners manual says it doesn't but the 2.0L does)
- I'm total old school, that means at 500 miles I changed the oil and I'll do it again at 1,500 miles and for good measure 3,000 miles. OK... the 3k miles is TOTAL overkill I'll admit. And yes... at 500 miles it had already darkened slightly which didn't surprise me because those first few hundred miles everything is breaking in.
- I do all my own maintenance and stunts. Hands down I've never had a vehicle this easy to change oil on. 20 mins and you are done. I love the fact that it is 5 qts on the button. That means one 5qt jug emptied into that little powerhouse is all it takes. Keep your eye out at Wally World for Pennzoil 0w-20, it's a bit elusive to find there but it shows up once in awhile. It runs $28 but they screwed up and I got ti for $23. BTW, Wally World also carries the genuine Mopar oil filter for $10.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Oops, forgot to mention... I have free lifetime oil changes at dealership. For synthetic they do 7,500 miles. Personally I will be changing it before that about half cycle. Again, I know this is overkill to the extreme but I plan on keeping this a loooooong time and the extra couple of bucks now may pay off in the long run.

Autzones and Advanced Autos around here will let you dump 5, 5qt jugs a day.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
BTW, Wally World also carries the genuine Mopar oil filter for $10.
Amazon.com has a vendor that sells the Mopar Oil Filter for $6.39 . (Shipping Free with Prime)
https://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Chry...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=SYG0BD5SQCGXETJ65B6F

---------------------------
Chrysler/Jeep Oil filter part number is 68191349AA - (MO-349) / / 68191349AB - (MD-349) (new number)

Jeep recommends you use SAE 0W-20 Engine Oil, such as MOPAR, Pennzoil, and
Shell Helix. - Takes 5 quarts

24mm oil filter cover removal
13mm socket for drain plug

Oil Life Reset:
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Navigate to Oil Life submenu in Vehicle Info in the
instrument cluster display.
3. Push and hold the OK button until the gauge resets to
100%.

Secondary Method For Oil Change Reset Procedure
1. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button and place the ignition to
the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).
2. Fully press the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times
within ten seconds.
3. Without pushing the brake pedal, push and release the
ENGINE START/STOP button once to return the ignition
to the OFF/LOCK position.
NOTE: If the indicator message illuminates when you
start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not
reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

Last edited:

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Here are some more thoughts...

- It takes 0w-20 that means it has to be full synthetic from factory because 0w-20 doesn't exist in Dino oil land.
It does in semi-synthetic land. I'd bet it is Pennzoil Gold, which comes in a semi synthetic 0w20. Either way, Pennzoil is indeed good stuff. You can't go wrong with it, especially in the 3.6.

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Can you switch from one to another, say I find a good deal on Pennzoil? Or is that not recommended..
Sponsored