Sponsored

First JL OIL CHANGE.... , COMPLETED W/ DIY INSTRUCTIONS AND PICS

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
Other cars I've bought recommend running factory, "break in" oil for x amount of miles before changing it for the first time. Is it different for Mopar engines? 1100 miles seems really early.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dynomite1371

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Jesus, why?

Also Mobil 1 does not have Chrysler's MS-6395 requirements. Why, I don't know.

Will it hurt your engine, probably not. Will they hoo-doo you when you have a warranty claim & they know you used an oil without the MS-6395 certification, probably so.
From my research scouring the internet there are two possible reasons:

1. Somewhere, someone, possibly from Mobil 1 said that Chrysler changed their testing requirements to two years in Vegas and Mobil 1 is 'still investigating' how they can go about implementing these new requirements 10 years later. Of course, this doesn't explain while Mobil Super still has the Chrysler rating and why every other oil manufacturer has managed to keep their certification.

2. Someone, somewhere, said that during the auto bailout/bankruptcy dark ages Mobil 1 threatened to withhold product if Chrysler didn't pay outstanding invoices, and so Chrysler immediately switched to Pennzoil as their main supplier and removed the Mobil 1 certification as retribution.

I have no idea what the truth is.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
I have never seen a filter system like this. What a great looking idea! No hot oil dripping all over the place, including up my sleeve? Sign me up!

Thanks for the write-up.

Sponsored

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
This is great. Is there the same for the JL? I have yet to find such detailed specs even with the JL now being sold. What the heck Jeep?
I checked, the JL specs haven't been posted yet on that site. In Canada we don't even have a configurator yet. SAD!

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I gave correct specs on the 2018 3.5L offering in my post. You gave links on posts to 2016 and 2017 3.6L's which have different specs.
Yeah, the document shows that the 2017 JK has a 10.2 compression ratio, ergo it must be the 2018 JL that has the increased 11.3 compression ratio. Both are 3.6L.

The oil requirement did go down by about a litre, but the compression ratio went up according to all the documents I've seen. The new oil is also 0W20, which is not available in conventional (the old oil was 5W20 I think, which is available in conventional.)

So maybe the reduced oil requirement is due to it more likely to be synthetic.

BoisetheCat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CR-V
I think you're right. im confused as i was planning to go with m1 but they're not recommended by Chrysler for certification? ig the consensus here is just buy a good oil and filter and it'll be fine even if it's not certified?

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Has a lower compression ratio, down to 10.2:1 from 11.3:1, and a resulting lower oil and coolant requirement (down 1 liter for oil, 3 liters for coolant), this reduces vehicles wet weight.
Jeep.com lists 11.3 ratio for new JL 3.6 engine. JK has 10.2.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone confirm the type oil that is used for factory fill? Blend or full synthetic?

I've read some manufacturers may add special break in additives to the factory fill and you shouldn't change your oil too soon. Any truth to that or just a myth?
It is not likely synthetic oil for the factory fill, but rather bulk conventional oil. It is also not necessary to use break in additives. Break in doesn't last that long.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
It is not likely synthetic oil for the factory fill, but rather bulk conventional oil. It is also not necessary to use break in additives. Break in doesn't last that long.
I tried to find any manufacturer that was making conventional 0W20, but couldn't find any. There were some making a blend 0W20. But most were only making synthetic.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Jeep.com lists 11.3 ratio for new JL 3.6 engine. JK has 10.2.
I did some further checking and yes, Compression Ratio is 11.3:1 in regard to the 3.6L in the 2018 JL/JLU. I had read an article where it said compression ratio was 10.2:1. Article was wrong apparently.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, the document shows that the 2017 JK has a 10.2 compression ratio, ergo it must be the 2018 JL that has the increased 11.3 compression ratio. Both are 3.6L.

The oil requirement did go down by about a litre, but the compression ratio went up according to all the documents I've seen. The new oil is also 0W20, which is not available in conventional (the old oil was 5W20 I think, which is available in conventional.)

That makes it more likely to be synthetic or a blend, but synthetic is not required for break in and I'd still bet it is conventional. They try hard to keep costs down.
Sponsored