Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Well, I think the no foil seal concern you have is unwarranted. Many/most no longer use a foil seal.

This is the year 2018. There is really no need for the foil seal.

I do suggest that when you go to buy the 5qt. container at your local store to be sure the top of the plastic bottle is sealed. You will feel the seal let loose/"crack" when you open the jug. IF you do not feel the seal break/let loose, return the bottle to the store and get another..

Why.... There are worthless assholes out there.... that will buy premium oil and dump it out of the container into their own container...... then they put cheaper, crapola oil in the newly purchased container and return that container for a refund. Last year, I actually checked a new 5 qt. jug in the store parking lot to see if it was sealed and it had friggin used oil in it.

WOW! I can't believe someone would go through that hassle to save a few bucks. Unreal, imagine if they spent that much effort on doing something positive... they'd probably accomplish a lot :)
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Well on my Fords I use only Motorcraft syn-blend factory oil.

Now that the wife and I both have '18 model Jeeps I'll probably go back to a full synthetic off the shelf at Walmart. I grew up using Pennzoil because that's what my mechanic father swears by, but Valvoline has ties to my home state so I don't mind using it either, and lots of guys say that Mobil 1 has the best base stock of any oil in it's price range. So one of those three will get the nod.

My Fords spec a 5W20 oil but I saw an article that claimed that 5W30 can lead to as much as 30% longer engine life on those engines so I've always used a 5W30. My Mach 1 now has 131,000 miles on it and the oil analysis comes back clean as a whistle.

I will likely run a 5W30 in the Pentastar also, IF and only if I find evidence that it won't interfere with the ESS system or the new oiling system that is designed for the ESS capability. Today's engines are a little more finicky.
PLEASE keep the thread posted on what you find out about oil viscosity. I've been leery of the 0w-20 since day one. But with only 5k miles on it I'll stick with it until I hear different. I've got a NC summer around the bend and I am thinking at least 5w20 even though the 5 really only pertains to startup. If the 0w20 is purely for gas mileage, screw that I'll go a little thicker.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Well, I think the no foil seal concern you have is unwarranted. Many/most no longer use a foil seal.

This is the year 2018. There is really no need for the foil seal.

I do suggest that when you go to buy the 5qt. container at your local store to be sure the top of the plastic bottle is sealed. You will feel the seal let loose/"crack" when you open the jug. IF you do not feel the seal break/let loose, return the bottle to the store and get another..

Why.... There are worthless assholes out there.... that will buy premium oil and dump it out of the container into their own container...... then they put cheaper, crapola oil in the newly purchased container and return that container for a refund. Last year, I actually checked a new 5 qt. jug in the store parking lot to see if it was sealed and it had friggin used oil in it.

:facepalm:

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
PLEASE keep the thread posted on what you find out about oil viscosity. I've been leery of the 0w-20 since day one. But with only 5k miles on it I'll stick with it until I hear different. I've got a NC summer around the bend and I am thinking at least 5w20 even though the 5 really only pertains to startup. If the 0w20 is purely for gas mileage, screw that I'll go a little thicker.
Yeah, like I mentioned as an owner of a JL you get 2 free oil changes per year for the first 2 years as a part of the Jeep Wave Program. Since the Jeep is under warranty, getting the oil changed at the dealership for free saves me money AND ensures that any warranty issues that pop up later are easy to handle because my service records will be in their system. So I'll not have to worry about this until 2020 when I'm in the third year of my four year lease.

At that point in time we'll be able to get a lot of first hand experience with the ESS system and how various oils have affected it. I'll decide which oil I'd like to run at that point, when I start doing service at home on this thing.

I don't think the 0W20 is going to cause any immediate harm to the engine. You'll be fine running it for now. It's just that as the months and years go by I feel like an oil with a little more viscosity will be healthier for the engine. I do know that with the ESS system we NEED to run a 100% synthetic oil because each time the engine shuts down in traffic the oil is going to go through a rapid heat soak for a few seconds until the engine starts up again.

xpsruler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sport
It looks like the Jeep dealership I had my JL serviced at used 5w20 for the oil change. Is this going to cause any issues?

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
It looks like the Jeep dealership I had my JL serviced at used 5w20 for the oil change. Is this going to cause any issues?
No, no issues at all.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
so, I'm at right about 3000 miles and my computer is saying 93% oil life... Make any sense to y'all? I usually went 6-7 thousand with my old truck and synthetic oil, but this seems extreme to me.

Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure but I don't pay attention to what the computer says. 5k oil changes for me using either 0w-20 or 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. Grab some at Wally World for $27 a jug.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure but I don't pay attention to what the computer says. 5k oil changes for me using either 0w-20 or 5w-20 Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic. Grab some at Wally World for $27 a jug.
Yeah, I would usually get 2 computer notifications in my Ram about oil changes before I would hit the right distance.

I plan on taking advantage of the Jeep Wave oil changes until I run out, but I'll be checking the oil soon to see what it really looks like.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Between my dealership and Jeep Wave I can get oil changes for free for many years to come but plan on doing it myself. It takes 15 mins to get to dealer... I can do the oil change in that time, I've never had a vehicle so easy to change the oil in. So when I factor in a minimum of 1.5 hours to go to dealer, wait, drive home it's worth the $27/oil + $9/filter at Walmart for me to do it. PLUS, when I am under there I give a good look around to make sure everything is good. PLUS I don't need to worry about some newbie tech over filling or under filling or not tightening the bolt or over tightening the bolt.
NO ONE will take care of your ride like you will... no one.

BTW, Pennzoil is on the dark side to begin with so it does get pretty dark.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Between my dealership and Jeep Wave I can get oil changes for free for many years to come but plan on doing it myself. It takes 15 mins to get to dealer... I can do the oil change in that time, I've never had a vehicle so easy to change the oil in. So when I factor in a minimum of 1.5 hours to go to dealer, wait, drive home it's worth the $27/oil + $9/filter at Walmart for me to do it. PLUS, when I am under there I give a good look around to make sure everything is good. PLUS I don't need to worry about some newbie tech over filling or under filling or not tightening the bolt or over tightening the bolt.
NO ONE will take care of your ride like you will... no one.

BTW, Pennzoil is on the dark side to begin with so it does get pretty dark.

Ah, it should be easier to get under the Jeep than it did to squeeze under my 4x2 Ram lol

Once the Jeep wave is used up I'll do the changes myself. I still have all the gear to do it.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I have a picnic under the Jeep when I change the oil, there is so much freaking room to get around, even more after I add the 2" lift tonight :)
Sponsored