OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Man, ill tell yea what. So i want to put a winch on so i can at least unstick myself if i need to.
Im looking at the mopar winch plate. Good lord $450?????? plus $1400 for a winch?
I have the factory steel bumpers that were $1700!!! that i didnt even want but came with my jeep.
I can buy a nice after market bumper for $500 and get a better look that has the winch plate built in. Why would anyone buy the jeep winch plate for $450. I dont get it.

What am i missing

I was looking at a Zeon 10S vs the VR Evo 10s. I cant believe warn justifies literally 2 times the price. I was watching some videos on which winch to buy and cant decide. Is the VR evo junk? I see people reviewing it like 5 minutes after installing it saying how great it is without even using it.

Does anyone have actual experience with it? Is it junk? is the Zeon really THAT much better? I hate to drop $1400 on a winch. Its really gonna cut into my tire budget.
Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Bobby,

I went through exactly what you're now going through. However, my JL is a 2019 2 door Sport. So no lockers in my rig. I have done most of the trails mentioned above. But I did invest in 35's and the standard 2.5" Mopar Lift (without trackbars, but I'm not OCD and therefore not a suspension purest). My lift and ride is perfectly fine, I'm loving every minute of it.

I find that any JL (Rubicon or not) is more than capable of doing Colorado. Granted the extreme boulder bouncing and cliff climbing I shy away from, but not much else. I want to see Colorado not necessarily grind my way through it.

Still, with the added clearance and really good all-terrain tires, these open diffs take me anywhere I have thus far pointed them. I get complimented all the time for going places that only Rubicon's typically venture.

So you will only make the most capable off-road vehicle ever, that much more capable. Take your Super Ruby over the tallest boulder you can find (in a single bound). Have a blast.

Since you asked, you won't regret lifting your JL. You're overall experience should be just as good as mine. Pick a great set of rubber and go see Colorado in all it's splendor. Up close.

Enjoy every minute. I am.

Jay

InShot_20200915_223133135.jpg

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Bobby,

I went through exactly what you're now going through. However, my JL is a 2019 2 door Sport. So no lockers in my rig. I have done most of the trails mentioned above. But I did invest in 35's and the standard 2.5" Mopar Lift (without trackbars, but I'm not OCD and therefore not a suspension purest). My lift and ride is perfectly fine, I'm loving every minute of it.

I find that any JL (Rubicon or not) is more than capable of doing Colorado. Granted the extreme boulder bouncing and cliff climbing I shy away from, but not much else. I want to see Colorado not necessarily grind my way through it.

Still, with the added clearance and really good all-terrain tires, these open diffs take me anywhere I have thus far pointed them. I get complimented all the time for going places that only Rubicon's typically venture.

So you will only make the most capable off-road vehicle ever, that much more capable. Take your Super Ruby over the tallest boulder you can find (in a single bound). Have a blast.

Since you asked, you won't regret lifting your JL. You're overall experience should be just as good as mine. Pick a great set of rubber and go see Colorado in all it's splendor. Up close.

Enjoy every minute. I am.

Jay

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep Wrangler Colorado InShot_20200915_223133135
Killer
Man!

thansk for the thoughts
I did order the mopar kit. Just deciding on tires.
Your in Colorado? Maybe you should
Consider letting me hit a trail with you! If nothing else I’m bound to be good entertainment:)

I’m new to Jeep’s but not off road having done some razor stuff and a life long dirt biker.
would really like to head out with some buddies

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
@Bobbys I would stick w/35's. No need for 37's unless you plan on getting super into getting out every weekend and hitting harder trails. More is going to be involved once you start moving up. I am on 35's w/ 2" Synergy lift. Rubicon gears at 4.10 are perfectly matched with my 2.0T and the 8 speed transmission. Much more capable and get up and go than my JKU was w/4.56 gearing. If you are interested in seeing in person and doing any test drives I'd be open to letting you drive mine to see how it feels. I am in Commerce City and work in Broomfield...

Sponsored

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Bobbys I would stick w/35's. No need for 37's unless you plan on getting super into getting out every weekend and hitting harder trails. More is going to be involved once you start moving up. I am on 35's w/ 2" Synergy lift. Rubicon gears at 4.10 are perfectly matched with my 2.0T and the 8 speed transmission. Much more capable and get up and go than my JKU was w/4.56 gearing. If you are interested in seeing in person and doing any test drives I'd be open to letting you drive mine to see how it feels. I am in Commerce City and work in Broomfield...
@Bobbys, I too would let you take mine for a test drive. My Sport S isn't as refined as Joe's (or yours). I have the m186/m200 open differential axles with the stock 3.45:1 gears. However this ZF8 auto trans is exceptional with the Duratrac 35's. My lift is the Mopar 2.5" package with no other additional suspension mods (other than Sway-Bar Quick Disconnects).

Many don't like anything less than the 4.10 gearing when running 35's, but I have absolutely no issues (whatsoever). I routinely see 8th gear at highway speeds. Take-off power is way more than sufficient. Anything more would rival a sports car. Did I mention this ZF8 transmission is just so way cool? It shift points are smooth and practically unnoticeable. It downshifts almost better than I would. Sorry, I digress.

I live in Longmont, and work sporadically in Broomfield (due to this covid fiasco, I mostly still work from home).

But it would be a great way to meet up.
Jay

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
You guys are awesome
Thanks for the thoughts! I would love to meet up at some point if we can make something work.

right now I can’t do anything 🙄
I can’t even get tires. Every jeep part under the sun is back ordered

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You guys are awesome
Thanks for the thoughts! I would love to meet up at some point if we can make something work.

right now I can’t do anything 🙄
I can’t even get tires. Every jeep part under the sun is back ordered
Bobby,

The test drive invitation is always open. It makes better sense to get a feel for what you're after before investing in it. Just PM me any time.

Jay

jhackathorne

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR
Bobby,

The test drive invitation is always open. It makes better sense to get a feel for what you're after before investing in it. Just PM me any time.

Jay
Agreed. It is actually probably more beneficial to drive diff rigs back to back to get a feel for what you get with diff setups before you send your time and money on the investment.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Interesting thoughts.
i guess I feel like it’s pretty puny looking as stock.
Yeah and guess what. Youll put 35s on it. Theyll look huge and youll be proud. One morning youll wake up and theyll look small, youll swear theyre almost like 33s. Youll want 37s.

If you mod it quickly based on looks, it wont look good enough. Ever. It is subjective and your perception will always change.

if you wheel it and enjoy your jeep and mod it slowly with a different mindset. Youll be happier. You wont see a "puny" jeep, because you will know what that "puny jeep" can do. Going 33s on a TJ was huge, it was a thing on a JK. Now theyre small.

People eventually get bored of mall crawlers and sell them prematurely. anyway, just my opinion.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Anyone going anywhere or doing anything fun this weekend? My wife is out of ton and might like to go get the jeep muddy!

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Glad to see another ‘new’ CO jeeper. When my 4xe is delivered would love to go hit a trail with you! Back to ‘patiently’ waiting for me

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Glad to see another ‘new’ CO jeeper. When my 4xe is delivered would love to go hit a trail with you! Back to ‘patiently’ waiting for me
Awesome man!!
Please stay in touch! Hopefully it comes in soon!

OP
OP

Bobbys

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Ok so the madness has started
I was planning to take all your advice
I got a set of 35’s that were suppose to be installed today. I had ordered the factory mopar lift kit a while back and got told I probably wouldn’t see it for a really long time because of back order.

so as I’m going to drop the jeep off for just 35’s today I get a mysterious phone call from the dealer and they tell me there is a fun little wooden crate at the part counter for me with a little jeep on the side

o boy!

so then this happened

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep Wrangler Colorado 653C13DB-4AAF-4C74-9545-792582A7C677

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep Wrangler Colorado 4012CD34-BA86-449F-96D2-1CABCAC9E65A

I had very much planned in waiting but since the kit came in and how hard it is to get for the diesel off we went! Mopar lift installed and
Goodyear wrangler mtr’s

I wanted trail grapplers but this is all I could get in Denver. 4wheel parts told me august for trail grapplers 🙄

Hopefully this fair ok!
Also picked up a few more boxes of goodies but not installed yet! saving those for my next post!
Sponsored