First Jeep.. looking for my Obi-Wan

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
My commute is a little further than yours and I have a JLUR. I kept my rubi rims and put on the 315 KO2 C class (as mentioned by an earlier post) and put on the Mopar 2” lift. As far as extra weight, i have the Ace sliders and a warm winch.

It is a great commuter ride, even with the doors and top off on the freeway in 90 degree weather. I am getting about 17 MPG, but I do have a big hill at the end of my commute (about 1200 foot elevation change)

I get about 18.5 when it is all buttoned up.
Sponsored

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Since this is your first Jeep, and it being a JL, you'll be pleasantly surprised how little the vehicle will change if you step up to 35s. The 8-speed automatic transmission and the improvements to both the steering and the suspension aren't nearly as compromised when going to bigger tires. You're gonna lose gas mileage, but that's really about it. Bigger tires demanded a lot more out of the JK and the TJ, but not so much with the JL.

37s change any vehicle. However, there are tons of videos out there of people wheeling JLs on 37s and their only fear is the rear gate buckling under the weight of the spare tire (and with proper bump stops, even that doesn't seem to be a problem). We're really not seeing people bend axles, snap trackbars mounts*, or any of the other failures with 37s on stock components that were common on the JK.

This doesn't mean the JL is invincible by any means, but minus QC issues, these things are taking some serious beatings and then some and shrugging it off. It's pretty impressive. Mod away, but do your homework first, don't buy cheap Chinese garbage, and understand and respect what your Jeep can and cannot do and you'll be fine.

*There's a guy on here who has a snapped mount, but that's a factory build issue and not from wheeling.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You asked for @obwahn and he gave you great advice.

Think of it like this - you e never golfed and you buy a no be set of clubs. You don’t start upgrading and head to Augusta.

When you have wheeled enough and learned enough to feel like you are being limited then start upgrading.

For what it is worth i have a Sport s and that’s the approach i am taking.

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
You asked for @obwahn and he gave you great advice.

Think of it like this - you e never golfed and you buy a no be set of clubs. You don’t start upgrading and head to Augusta.

When you have wheeled enough and learned enough to feel like you are being limited then start upgrading.

For what it is worth i have a Sport s and that’s the approach i am taking.
I really like this concept. So often people look at stats and say “well, I have to get this because it shaves .001 off of my time. Less is better!”

Take your time. See wht you need and what you like. I’ll state with honesty- I made some mistakes that I hated shorty after and they were based only on looks or some hypothetical apocalyptic scenario that I assumed would be my new daily situation.

The Jeep is solid enough to cover almost anything you can throw at it on every trim level. Some of the serious hardcore jeeping I did was in a modded sport. All is in the Jeep community support you either way, so no need to chase stats. Make it you.

BVGeezer

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU, 1982 FJ40
Occupation
Retired
I started wheeling in 1978 in a brand new FJ40. It could do way more than I had skill. Got ourselves into more than one "situation." Our stock JLR is far more capable than that FJ40. Since this is your first Jeep, you will quickly find it is more capable than your skill set. I took ours out for a little test ride on a trail west of Salida, Colorado. I was shocked at how smooth it was in the rocks. Just enjoy what you've got and build your skill set. When your skills and the JLR are even, then look at some mods.
Sponsored