Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Jeep JLUS, '23 2500 Duramax, 23’ RAM 1500
Occupation
Operator Maintenance Technician III
‘18 JLU Sport..
Bought a 3.5-4” suspension lift.
Bought 17x9 fuel vapors w 37/12.50r17 Ko2’s..
It’s an Automatic, 8 spd..
I know it is going to be sluggish. And my application / use is going to be strictly on road until warranty is up..
Do I NEED to regear? If so to what size?
Do I NEED a beefy driveshaft?
Do I NEED a beefy axel?

First jeep owner. First build. Owned Jeep close to a month..bought it for $35k..and already $5k in aftermarket stuff..Help appreciated!!
Sponsored

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
What will you be doing in your JLU after the warranty's over? Overlanding? Rock crawling? What lift did you purchase?

Your answers will help us help you.....

NoahVD

First Name
Noah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Gears are up to you. Try it without them and see if you can live with it. 4.88 or 5.12 would be the most common ratios for that tire size.
For that lift your size a new front drive shaft is recommended if going offroad on more than simple trails.
Probably dont need to do anything to upgrade the axles. They seem to do fine with 37s.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
What will you be doing in your JLU after the warranty's over? Overlanding? Rock crawling? What lift did you purchase?

So my buddy has been in the Jeep community for awhile now, and before knowing so I just started purchasing left and right.. so from what he said I went with the 2nd worst suspension lift I could’ve possibly went with...
So I went with this lift
https://skyjacker.com/shop/jeep/wra...ift-kit-system-with-m95-shocks/#configuration
And I also got the dual rate optional steering stabilizer. As far as my plans down the road? Yes, eventually I will be hitting trails and doing MINOR rock crawling. I ride Harleys, and go fishing on my off time up camp, and go adventuring through the woods, so when I say minor rock crawling that’s 100% accurate. I live in North Western PA, where it’s mainly woods, and rivers.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Gears are up to you. Try it without them and see if you can live with it. 4.88 or 5.12 would be the most common ratios for that tire size.
For that lift your size a new front drive shaft is recommended if going offroad on more than simple trails.
Probably dont need to do anything to upgrade the axles. They seem to do fine with 37s.
Ok I appreciate it. Like I said definitely doing 0 crawling at least not for awhile. It is daily driver. 10 minute commute to work each way at speeds of 35-45 mph, daily. And as my wife and I go to camp once a month and it is a 2 hour drive one way at highway / back road speeds ranging from 35-80mph. My main concern was the aspect of wear and tear or destroying components to my drivetrain due to not upgrading certain components that could / would be vital if not other wise done. I’m 0% concerned with gas mileage

Sponsored

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

And as I replied In my comment below to another response, it is a daily driver. Work commute is 10 mins each way on back roads of speeds from 35-45 mph. And we go to camp once a month with highways / back roads ranging speeds from 45-80 mph. My main concern at this moment isn’t fuel consumption or comfortability, it’s reliability honestly. Like with everything stock on my JL, and adding this lift, with the optional dual rate steering stabilizer I purchased, then throwing on those wheels and tires, am I going to destroying my driveshaft or have to worry about damaging my axel?

CWRUYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I had a 2013 JKUR with 35s, a 3.5" lift and factory 4.10s, which was a daily driver. It was a 6-speed auto, so it was even more of a dog on the highway than your 2018 JLUS, but it was great offroad. (I like rocks.)

For a daily driver, I'd honestly go with 35s and not more than a 3.5" lift to minimize the (fairly slight) possibility of drivetrain damage and keep it daily driver-friendly. However, since you already have the 37s, you should still be OK.

You won't really know if you need to reagear until you have everything on and start driving it. For your usage, I think it may be overkill to swap axles, unless you regear. Stock JLs, even Sports, are still very capable offroad.

All opinions mine. YMMV. Hope this helps with your decisions....

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Ok I appreciate it. Like I said definitely doing 0 crawling at least not for awhile. It is daily driver. 10 minute commute to work each way at speeds of 35-45 mph, daily. And as my wife and I go to camp once a month and it is a 2 hour drive one way at highway / back road speeds ranging from 35-80mph. My main concern was the aspect of wear and tear or destroying components to my drivetrain due to not upgrading certain components that could / would be vital if not other wise done. I’m 0% concerned with gas mileage
As a suggestion. Looking at your lift purchase you should invest in some adjustable lower control arms. If not, your caster will be way less then desired with that size lift and your highway driving will not be fun. It will want to wander all over the place.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Just get some Rubicon plastic fenders. If they are halogen, I got mine shipped for $690. You could then get a Rubicon takeoff suspension for ~$200 or less and run some 35’s.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Do I NEED a beefy driveshaft?
Do I NEED a beefy axel?
Yes and yes. I recommend upgrading as much of the factory suspension as possible for a sport running 37’s. Obviously you don’t have to but you’ll wear out your stock components faster.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I had a 2013 JKUR with 35s, a 3.5" lift and factory 4.10s, which was a daily driver. It was a 6-speed auto, so it was even more of a dog on the highway than your 2018 JLUS, but it was great offroad. (I like rocks.)

For a daily driver, I'd honestly go with 35s and not more than a 3.5" lift to minimize the (fairly slight) possibility of drivetrain damage and keep it daily driver-friendly. However, since you already have the 37s, you should still be OK.

You won't really know if you need to reagear until you have everything on and start driving it. For your usage, I think it may be overkill to swap axles, unless you regear. Stock JLs, even Sports, are still very capable offroad.

I appreciate the input. Yeah my whole thing was I just wasn’t very sold on the 3.5 lift with the 35s I mean it wasn’t awful, just didn’t really like the tire to fender gap. Had I known better ahead of time I probably just would have stuck to a 2.5 with 35s but what’s done is done, and that’s why I chose the Ko2’s since I decided with the 37s since from what I’ve been reading they tend to size the smallest out of the A/Ts.

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yes and yes. I recommend upgrading as much of the factory suspension as possible for a sport running 37’s. Obviously you don’t have to but you’ll wear out your stock components faster.
Thanks man

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
As a suggestion. Looking at your lift purchase you should invest in some adjustable lower control arms. If not, your caster will be way less then desired with that size lift and your highway driving will not be fun. It will want to wander all over the place.
Copy that. I appreciate it

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Copy that. I appreciate it
Keep an eye out on member marketplace and/or FB marketplace. You can score some good adj LCAs for decent price. :like:

OP
OP
Izzo93

Izzo93

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation

Definitely appreciate the input. Later down the road I probably will invest. (Sooner than later) and I can agree / understand why as to just investing in a beefier axel rather than dumping money into my stock. Which my cousin is doing all my labor for free on everything so that helps out drastically.
Keep an eye out on member marketplace and/or FB marketplace. You can score some good adj LCAs for decent price. :like:
used ones aren’t bad to go after? And is there any brands in particular I should be looking for? Or a reasonable/ fair price on my end to snag them for?
Sponsored