JLUHT

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 JLUHT (JLHT?) '19 F-150 5.0 '03 Envoy XL
Occupation
RE20 microphones
I thought the XR packages came with steel bumpers. Am I misunderstanding something?

That said, High Velocity looks bitchin.
Thanks, the color pops. All plastic bumpers here. I really like the look of the Mopar steel as a stubby but I think wifey prefers something more full width. There's a local place that makes aluminum in house but they're not cheap. Rock Hard Offroad I think is the name.

Grats on the Jeep. My wife has the same color as your :D. I was in your shoes when she got hers, I had a 22 Silverado. After a week of playing with hers, I traded in the truck and never looked back. Love the Jeep. These were our first also. Best place to measure ride height is through the center of the hub from the bottom of the wheel to the fender. Taking it from the ground will change based on tire pressure.

I understand what you mean by closing the doors. I have found that the times mine do not close, I am in the way. Im no small guy and hit my shoulder or arm trying to shut the door so it pushes back on it. Try shutting it after you are completely out of the way....it helps.

The whine you are talking about is the electronic assist of the steering. It happens on both of ours and folks on this very forum have said its normal.
I've read that the whine may be normal, unfortunate but not a deal killer. Will the Apex steering boost make it worse/better/no-change? hint hint that's an incoming mod potentially.

The door thing is odd. Ours shut very easily.
It's the latching part of the closing that takes a greater force than I'm used to. The doors swing open and shut just fine. I'll make a video comparing my truck which is buttery smooth to the Jeep which I've yet to be able to close completely without swinging the door shut. I may learn something :)

BFGs run small. They're 34.4 as measured when not under the Jeep, from the manufacturer. 33ish is about right for that size BFG when actually under load at the right air pressure.
Thanks, I'm learning what the standards are as I go I appreciate it. Enjoying reading through your build thread. It's a nice one.

TL/DR

I love my JLU HT, but the suspension just isn't cutting it for how I want to use the vehicle...

I love your story because it's very similar to my own. I was in the market for something other than pick-up trucks after having driven them for the past 20 years. I actually had my heart set on a new Bronco Badlands Sasquatch ( I know, blasphemy lol). After looking for a while and not finding one quite like I wanted, and even making an over MSRP offer on a really nice 2dr Bronco Sasquatch loaded, I decided to look at Jeeps. I researched what Jeep offered that was similar to the Bronco Sasquatch, and started reading up on the High Tide XR Edition. After calling around I found a dealer close to me that had 3 of them: Two in High Velocity and one in White (which I ended up buying).

I went to the dealer to have a look at these High Tide Editions first hand. Like you I was really taken back by the looks of a "lifted" factory Jeep with big tires. Just looked the business. Mine was optioned mostly the way I would have ordered one save not having the towing package which I purchased and had installed through the dealer. I have logged 6k miles in the past 5-6 months that I've owned it, and I have thoroughly enjoyed every mile driven.

One of the primary reasons I wanted an off road vehicle was that I'm looking for a new hobby for the next stage of life. I've spent a ton of years drag racing cars and motorcycles as well as road racing motorcycles. After having a bad off on a motorcycle ~2 years ago, I figured it would be wise to find a hobby that is a little less dangerous to transition into as I get older.

I bought the JLU HT with the intention of taking it off road and learning how to "wheel." I quickly found that the platform as shipped has some compromises that were made with regards to the lift. I've experienced bottoming out on the front end on pavement and off road. Trying to avoid big modifications, I ordered a set of after market shocks (Rancho 9000XLs) to see if the improved dampening would eliminate the jolting/bottoming out of the bump stops. While these shocks greatly improved the ride and handling and helped with the bump stop contact, the issue was still present.

I've since decided to order and install a Clayton 2.5" Overland lift kit and Falcon shocks. I feel this is the right way (for me at least) to address the bump stop issue and be able to enjoy wheeling some moderate to harder trails.

I'm glad that you're enjoying your JLU HT. It's an awesome looking rig. I love mine and I love it even more as it gets closer to being able to do everything I would like for it to do in my new hobby.
I think we've been reading the same threads :)

Do you plan to run those Ranchos with the Clayton 2.5" lift at all? I thought about trying that configuration.
Sponsored

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
Do you plan to run those Ranchos with the Clayton 2.5" lift at all? I thought about trying that configuration.
No, they don't have enough travel for the Clayton lift. I will be putting them up in the market place to sell. I ordered a set of Falcon SP2 3.3 shocks with the lift. Should be here tomorrow. Going to be a busy weekend :)

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Nice Jeep! Congratulations and I am sure you are glad it was worth the wait. My doors are hard to close. My wife needs several attempts unless I open a window to let the air pressure out of the cab. Your measurements from the ground to the flares match mine exactly. I bought the XR so as not to fool with any of the suspension bits. I am more of a casual trail rider. Will not see any rock crawling unless the dirt turns into stone but not going to be looking for it. For now, it works excellently as my "work" truck as a contractor since it allows me to drive over parking lot islands to find the best spot without having to drive in circles ;)

kakwvu

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Thanks, the color pops. All plastic bumpers here. I really like the look of the Mopar steel as a stubby but I think wifey prefers something more full width. There's a local place that makes aluminum in house but they're not cheap. Rock Hard Offroad I think is the name.
I had an aluminum bumper for my tacoma, def. helped with front end weight and aluminum doesn't corrode. It took some dings and suffered a little more, but that's the trade off.

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
Did your High Tide come with a color matched hard top?

Sponsored

shnider10

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Chevy Impala
High Tides for 2022 all came with color matched hardtops.
I thought the freedom panels were some sort of soft top that wasn’t completely removable.

Beachcomber72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU High Tide
I thought the freedom panels were some sort of soft top that wasn’t completely removable.
The top pieces are all color matched and the HT package included the Sunrider for hardtop that came packed in a large box in the rear at delivery. You have the option to remove the front two top pieces and install the sunrider. It installs in less than 5 minutes with 6 bolts and is always removable to go right back to the freedom panels. The Sunrider top is black incase you were curious of its color.

OP
OP
JLUHT

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RE20 microphones
That Sunrider is fun. It might seem gimmicky at first, my initial thought "that's like a convertible lite" but in practice it's very much a convertible for the front seat. Does anyone know if it's the same one sold by Bestop (i didn't look.) It's really great, easy to install/remove, light weight just watch you don't scratch the pretty Jeep. I saw another forum member mention running the Sunrider with the rest of the hardtop off. This is interesting because you still get shade if you need in a pinch while being mostly topless.

FedEx just stopped by. Should be a fun game of hide this pile of boxes until Christmas 🎄

Home Depot currently has a deal on a Ryobi buy a brushless hammer drill for $159 and get a 1/2" brushless impact free so i hopped on that hoping the impact can break lug nuts free. The 4Ahour batteries are currently bogo for about a hundred bucks.

I just noticed the lugs are chrome :movember: will those Gorilla black lugs fit with the XR wheels?

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep 2022 High Tide Xtreme Recon sneak peak

Sponsored

quick66

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Hightide Edition
That Sunrider is fun. It might seem gimmicky at first, my initial thought "that's like a convertible lite" but in practice it's very much a convertible for the front seat. Does anyone know if it's the same one sold by Bestop (i didn't look.) It's really great, easy to install/remove, light weight just watch you don't scratch the pretty Jeep. I saw another forum member mention running the Sunrider with the rest of the hardtop off. This is interesting because you still get shade if you need in a pinch while being mostly topless.

FedEx just stopped by. Should be a fun game of hide this pile of boxes until Christmas 🎄

Home Depot currently has a deal on a Ryobi buy a brushless hammer drill for $159 and get a 1/2" brushless impact free so i hopped on that hoping the impact can break lug nuts free. The 4Ahour batteries are currently bogo for about a hundred bucks.

I just noticed the lugs are chrome :movember: will those Gorilla black lugs fit with the XR wheels?

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep 2022 High Tide Xtreme Recon sneak peak
I am my own favorite secret Santa

OP
OP
JLUHT

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RE20 microphones
As if the Jeep isn't enough of a financial sink at the moment Mrs Wife decided to make her own easter eggs with a new cricut cutter and some black vinyl. This is all in jest, good investment, #longstickers.

I think they look great. *need to squeegee some of those air bubbles

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep 2022 High Tide Xtreme Recon samsquanch
Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep 2022 High Tide Xtreme Recon moon men

Last edited:
OP
OP
JLUHT

JLUHT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
RE20 microphones
Grabbed a pair of the older style hex flange head bolts just in case i find another Jeep or a friend.

MOPAR HEX FLANGE HEAD BOLT

Jeep Wrangler JL First Jeep 2022 High Tide Xtreme Recon old style bolt

CjMiller7

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR Gobi XR

The gorilla black locking lugs will fit. I have them on my XR. These are what I bought

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N2ABJME/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Chrismeece74

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Freedom Unlimited

The only difference between the one Bestop sells and the one Jeep sells is the logos on them, Bestop makes them both though.
Sponsored