Sponsored

First in-action photos + videos of 2018 Wrangler JL and JLU getting wet and dirty in New Zealand!

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
What happens when a bow wave of water washes over the hood and flows in through the vents? Anything bad?

2018-jeep-wrangler-jl-jlu-in-action-1-jpg.jpg
Nothing a little water on the engine cover. The power dome hood on my Rubicon 10th anniversary are functional right from the factory, trust me the opening to vent air is small, after all the engine is designed to ford up to something like 2 ft of water so a little water dripping through the vent openings does nothing.
Sponsored

Closure

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Scion tc
I'd be worried as hell crossing that water seems to be moving fast plus kind of deep. Surprised they didn't float away or hit a rock and tip it

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be worried as hell crossing that water seems to be moving fast plus kind of deep. Surprised they didn't float away or hit a rock and tip it
First thought exactly like white water rapids...

Niteshooter

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Jeep CJ7, 86 T-Bird Turbo Coupe, 00 Saturn, 10 smart, 11 JK
Vehicle Showcase
I wonder if the print media have had or are about to have their test drive sessions. Was actually wondering about this a while back as the lead times for magazines such as JP Magazine or Four Wheeler are pretty long. Granted I went to Chapters the other day looking for JP Mag and they already had the December 2017 issue out but nothing on the JL. Wonder if this New Zealand session was actually a media drive though not many people in the pix.

Ahmed

First Name
Quraysh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Is that all ?
For me there are still beautiful things .

Sponsored

JaybearWL

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara 2.0t
I really like the gentle curvature of the soft top compared against JK that looks more tented. If it weren’t so cold here from November through March I might consider a soft...

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
Are the JK Hard Rock Power Dome hood vents not functional?
The have smaller openings to help limit water penetration. However, when you need maximum ventilation, the plastic grills quickly pop out. Later, when done for the day, they pop right back in.

WaltA

First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Rubicon X, 2003 Mustang GT, 2003 MINI Cooper
How do this new pictures of JL Rubicons, now without the red tow hooks, match up with the previous pictures with the red tow hooks? Remember, with those previous pics, the consensus here was that all JL Rubicons will have the old JK Hard Rock visual clues.

PEZ

First Name
PEZ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
DF10188F-58BC-4A88-849E-03CC86C34440.jpeg
Top down shot shows a vented hood.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I wonder if the print media have had or are about to have their test drive sessions. Was actually wondering about this a while back as the lead times for magazines such as JP Magazine or Four Wheeler are pretty long. Granted I went to Chapters the other day looking for JP Mag and they already had the December 2017 issue out but nothing on the JL. Wonder if this New Zealand session was actually a media drive though not many people in the pix.
Yes, JL press drives are taking place in New Zealand right now :rock:

jl-jpg.jpg

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Then you go down with the ship.

Honestly idk though hopefully the sudden cooling wouldn't crack or warp anything. Though it would have to be able to tolerate heavy rain and auto car washes already so I'm sure it'd be ok unless submerged.
They have thoroughly tested it. I've never had an issue, with YJ or JK, of that sudden cooling. That said, there are other reasons I try to avoid deep water. It isn't so good to get it ingested into your axles/diffs.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
This is a great enhancement to the soft top and now I understand why they redesigned the soft top bows. I like everything about this JL except the wheels.
Man, no love around here for the wheels. I didn't like them at first, when seen on the cover of the owners manual, but the more I see them, the more I like them. In fact, I went out of my way to order them, thanks to the Sema pic of the red two door. I think they look great!

Love the new soft top design, btw. That is exactly how I'll ride most of the summer, except with doors off, too.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How do this new pictures of JL Rubicons, now without the red tow hooks, match up with the previous pictures with the red tow hooks? Remember, with those previous pics, the consensus here was that all JL Rubicons will have the old JK Hard Rock visual clues.
The press release pic of the 2 door shows red tow hooks. I hope they have them. If not, they can be painted easily.