Sponsored

First in-action photos + videos of 2018 Wrangler JL and JLU getting wet and dirty in New Zealand!

bilash31

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 JKU, '18 GC
Lots of effort is apparent in the air intake, too.
Yeah I questioned that once that first pic of the engine bay showed up. Those changes will be huge to hopefully eliminate those hydrolock situations from just a water entry splash.
Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Finally a good clear view of the Air Intake & its location.
That looks like the 2.0L based on the colour of the side body.

Slight impovement in placement over the JK, but same general area, a few inches up and to the side.

In the 3.6L seems to use the same airbox, and same size intake, so interestng to see if that’s at all performance restricting for the forced air induction of the 2.0L when comparing to aftermarket CAIs people will be putting on them.

JFP

First Name
Javier
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C7 Z06, Audi Q5
Does any body knows which dealer in the USA may have the new JLU by December?
Asking here in Florida and surprisly many dealers have not clue about the JL
This is a present for Christmas for my wife, so I would like ito have it before it
tks JP

Ian cj10

First Name
ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 cj10 pickup ,1983 sj cherokee with 6.2l chev diesel
looks like its designed with snorkel fitment in mind

STL J-Hawk

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Silver 2018 JLUS!, 2016 Tahoe
Does any body knows which dealer in the USA may have the new JLU by December?
Asking here in Florida and surprisly many dealers have not clue about the JL
This is a present for Christmas for my wife, so I would like ito have it before it
tks JP
No dealer will have it by Christmas from the timeline we have seen.

Sponsored

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
No dealer will have it by Christmas from the timeline we have seen.
Please, J-Hawk, stop crushing my dream with facts! (What 90 day hold? I have no idea what you are talking about..)

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Please, J-Hawk, stop crushing my dream with facts! (What 90 day hold? I have no idea what you are talking about..)
Jay (Admin) has indicated that the alleged 90 day hold may not be true.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
With all the number of early VONs that went to D status and got VINs and then returned to C status (hold), I wouldn’t question that there is a hold of some kinda, only the duration.

Might see some make it to buyers around the end of the year, but considering the high number of people who couldn’t even get dealers in Fla to order JLs once we knew the banks were open, some even checking Gorgia dealers, I’m doubtful that they would’ve gotten first batch if they didn’t order then.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure which thread, but after I mentioed it or asked a question about it. I'll defer to him to clarify.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
With all the number of early VONs that went to D status and got VINs and then returned to C status (hold), I wouldn’t question that there is a hold of some kinda, only the duration.

Might see some make it to buyers around the end of the year, but considering the high number of people who couldn’t even get dealers in Fla to order JLs once we knew the banks were open, some even checking Gorgia dealers, I’m doubtful that they would’ve gotten first batch if they didn’t order then.
Maybe, but dealers are not the guage for where they are in production. Most don't know much. My dealer knew NOTHING. I had to walk them through it. Good guys, but they don't know how to get after it. They feel compelled to follow the corporate communication, which is fine, for them. They are now fully armed with the JL, since I've enlightened them with the order and info from this great forum and other sources.

My guess is that production has started VERY slowly, to make sure they are doing it right. It will ramp up slowly and they may do short stoppages to solve problems and synchronize the supply chain. They probably have special teams, too, who give extra checks to the machines coming off the line the first few months, so that will slow things down, too. We'll see about the 90 day hold. Not much info out there on it right now.

One thing is for sure. Once they reveal it, they are going to want to have them out to dealers as soon as possible so people can see them. They'll also want them at car shows. I'm guessing they'll have one at the Indianapolis Auto Show and other smaller shows like that in December.

I'm hoping that I see mine right before Christmas, but realistically, I'm not expecting it until sometime in February. Maybe even March. That's ok, because it gives me time to snag Ocean Blue before it is locked in for production.

That's all nothing but speculation generated from between my ears, so take it for what it is worth.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dunno what happened to Rubi’s original question question:whatsgoingon: so removed it, but this still applies to the general idea.

A lot of it is a question of how accurate that hold rumour is. Conflicting info from pretty good sources (although I don’t remember Milous ever commenting on it), and nothing official. Kinda like the first rumour about halting JK orders which turned out to be incorrect and about a week early.

It makes sense to hold early production back to ensure they catch any early issues from a brand new production line, and even to reschedule production if there is a supply limitation on an item (soft top as part of dual top option). Now that could be 15-30-60-90 days. Typical pre-production hold period in the JK that triggered actions was 60 days, but again that was normal mature production.

At full production, a 90 day hold would equate to about 60,000 vehicles to hold, that seems like a lot to just sit on, but with expected slow ramp-up, and limited allocations then it could be 1/10th that number or less, but also it doesn’t really give you a large base to find production issues within, so a double edged sword in that respect.

Likely all production prior to launch is super analyzed and given the thrice-over to learn what they can early, before they absolutely have to ramp-up orders.

So at this point it’s hard to guess what end of the spectrum delivery date would be. Usually once a vehicle goes to D1 an estimated delivery date is assigned, but even that may be questionable.

I have a feeling the dealer insight depends on the dealer, I have a feeling the top 50 who were invited for the JL previews in 2016 are likely very much in the loop, everyone else just following direction.

The only reason I mention the Fla dealers is because that’s the location being asked about, and with the difficulty of just placing an order there, I doubt they are at the front of the line with those top 50 dealers.

jeppesen.io

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata, WR250R, JLU Rubicon
Maybe this is overly simplified view, but my assumption was this: FCA has told the people in the know UP TO a 90 day hold.

My reasoning is everyone can expect 90 days, but if the production, supply and last minute issues look good, then they can reduce or eliminate that 90 days. Better to over, rather underestimate. This why there's no clear info on the hold - FCA likely does not know how much of the hold they want yet.

Just-in-time manufacturing/supply is flexible